Some very Interesting Pictures

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Those fire truck drivers are called Engineers, sheesh

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Those fire truck drivers are called Engineers, sheesh

No they aren't! They called either truck operators or engine operators. (Unless you work for FDNY, then they are chauffeurs). Engineers drive trains!

Although my department does call them drivers. Darn. Of course I usually get called the medic, even though I'm just an intermediate. :-D I love it. We go into a residence and my officer, Marv is like "this is Joe, the medic"

JPINFV

Gadfly
No they aren't! They called either truck operators or engine operators. (Unless you work for FDNY, then they are chauffeurs). Engineers drive trains!

Isn't this one of those regional names things where different places call things different names?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

Although my department does call them drivers. Darn. Of course I usually get called the medic, even though I'm just an intermediate. :-D I love it. We go into a residence and my officer, Marv is like "this is Joe, the medic"

they are called engineers because they drive an engine, sometimes called the pump man cause they run the pump, if its a ladder truck we call the driver engineerout of habit

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
they are called engineers because they drive an engine, sometimes called the pump man cause they run the pump, if its a ladder truck we call the driver engineerout of habit

Yes. Engineers drive engines. Train engines.

:p

JPINFV

Gadfly
you cant drive a train engine, it has no wheels! Your thinking of a Locomotive, and those are conducted!

Conductors herd people. Engineers run trains.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Around here they're called engineers and nothing else. Their actual job title is engineer and even their badges say engineer. Even when they're on the truck. I guess I'm so used to saying it that I never really stopped to think about what that really meant.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Conductors herd people. Engineers run trains.

Conductors also direct music. Engineers also design bridges. :p

This terminology war thread has reminded me about the chief officer who transferred from a department back east somewheres to a department in the pacific northwest or hereabouts. His department gets sent to a vehicle fire. They arrive on scene and he assumes command. I believe it was like a full sized RV on fire. For some reason the engine doesn't have enough water, to the chief gets on the air and askew dispatch to send him the closest due tanker. Only problem was out here, a tanker has two wings and an engine. (A tender has a steering wheel and a large water capacity.) Well, needless to say, dispatch was a little confused, and after he confirmed his request, dispatch told him they would contact USFS air dispatch and get a tanker coming. Of course in the transmission storm that followed, chief realizes his mistake and calls for the nearest due *tender*

Lol

firemedic07

Forum Probie
engineers drive fire trucks medics drive ambulances and the popo drive the cop cars lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
emts drive the ambulance. u ever met a medic who would drive?

Yes, several. Plus in the (incredibly nice) systems where they don't bother using EMTs, medics take turns running calls and driving

EDIT: In fact the senior medic I'm with would rather drive than attend, which is just fine with me, since I hate driving the rigs

Last edited by a moderator:

sbemt4596

Forum Probie
i guess im just used to one on one. Where emts drive and never get to attend

I work a one to one, and whenever we have a simple pt (a.k.a. a completely bs call in the first place) that I can handle as an EMT my partner has me tech it while he drives. I don't mind since I enjoy the pt contact.

MedJPavlo

Forum Crew Member
I work a one to one, and whenever we have a simple pt (a.k.a. a completely bs call in the first place) that I can handle as an EMT my partner has me tech it while he drives. I don't mind since I enjoy the pt contact.
i need a new job, or new partner...trade?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The New Zealand Fire Service now calls the engineer "Driver/Operator" .. Brown's dad was one and he had to study math for almost a whole day and take a thirty minute driving test can you believe it? :D

You know the coolest person is the guy who drives Browns helicopter, he is called the Captain ....

Foxbat

Forum Captain
pain_rating.png