Some questions regarding the EMT program

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I signed up for NSLIJ's accelerated summer EMT-B program. It was something I was interested in while I was going to school for my nursing pre-requisites. I currently work in a job that is part-time thru NSLIJ in a cubicle (help me!), but I really would like a full-time job and I thought this would be a very valuable opportunity to both learn and get my 30 hours a week while I go into nursing school next year. I am not an office person, I prefer to be interacting with people. I have already started to read the Brady textbook.

I am taking this very seriously. Certification exam is Aug 19. Just a few general questions...When do you do clinical rotations - after certification or during the program? And for how long? I was wondering how soon after could I get a job? And do you think being an internal employee @ NSLIJ will better my chances of working for them?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
When do you do clinical rotations - after certification or during the program?

During class, before you take your certification examinations. You have to pass the class to sit for the credentialing tests.

And for how long?

It depends on the state and the program generally, but the across the board correct answer is "not long enough".

I was wondering how soon after could I get a job?

As soon as your state says you can (in other words, once you have your state certification/license)

And do you think being an internal employee @ NSLIJ will better my chances of working for them?

Unless you've really pissed people off, it can't hurt. I would ask someone with the organization.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
During class, before you take your certification examinations. You have to pass the class to sit for the credentialing tests.
My class is in the evening, 4 days a week, 3 hr sessions. Would it require us to go to actual hospitals or do ride-alongs? Not 100% sure what clinical rotations consist of...please explain? :sad:

It depends on the state and the program generally, but the across the board correct answer is "not long enough".
State is NY

As soon as your state says you can (in other words, once you have your state certification/license)

Unless you've really pissed people off, it can't hurt. I would ask someone with the organization.
Haven't gotten to that level yet ^_^, keeping my mouth shut.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Most EMT programs split clinical rotation time between some time in the ER and some time on a rig. For example, my program had me pull 28 hours (8 hour shifts in the back and one 4 hour shift doing nothing but vitals in triage) in 3 different EDs, and 24 hours (12 hour shifts) riding with 2 different ambulance companies.

We were also required to play patient for a different class for at least 4 hours, and were strongly encouraged to voluntarily play patient for other EMT and medic classes as much as possible.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Most EMT programs split clinical rotation time between some time in the ER and some time on a rig. For example, my program had me pull 28 hours (8 hour shifts in the back and one 4 hour shift doing nothing but vitals in triage) in 3 different EDs, and 24 hours (12 hour shifts) riding with 2 different ambulance companies.

We were also required to play patient for a different class for at least 4 hours, and were strongly encouraged to voluntarily play patient for other EMT and medic classes as much as possible.

Did the program place you in these? Or did you have to apply yourself?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Most programs have agreements with local agencies to allow them to send their students there for clinicals. This opens a pool of potential employees for the agency, and fulfills the schools clinical requirements.

When the time comes, you're given a list of open shifts at the locations, and you typically choose what fits best.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Most programs have agreements with local agencies to allow them to send their students there for clinicals. This opens a pool of potential employees for the agency, and fulfills the schools clinical requirements.

When the time comes, you're given a list of open shifts at the locations, and you typically choose what fits best.

Thanks alot! NSLIJ's website wasn't too informative on everything but I gues I'll find everything out the first night..

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Would it require us to go to actual hospitals or do ride-alongs

Yes.

State is NY

No clue on how things work up there. Never worked there and have zero desire to change that.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks alot! NSLIJ's website wasn't too informative on everything but I gues I'll find everything out the first night..

That's generally how it works. Seriously, don't overthink this. It's a pretty (and pardon the pun) basic class.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

That's quite a bit of clinical time. My EMT program had 10 hours of clinicals.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That's quite a bit of clinical time. My EMT program had 10 hours of clinicals.
WTF?

Our EMT-B course had a minimum of 48 hours of ambulance clinicals and 48 hours of ER time. I think I walked away with something like 90 hours of ambulance and 50 of ER.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Yeah, my course only required one 12 hour ambulance shift and one 8 hr ER shift.

I did seven ambulance shifts, two of which ran O/T close to 24 hours, and three ER shifts. I could not get enough, I loved every minute in the field, I can't wait to start working.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I didn't feel like the 52 hours was ideal, but in talking to people it's on the higher end for requirements.

Believe me, after completing well over 100 hours of clinicals for my CNA... a certification that, in my opinion, doesn't hold nearly as wide of a scope of practice or potential to harm people, and requires much less assessment skill.... it makes you go "hmmm..."

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I agree when did the supposed 120 hr course become common place?

I took my EMT class while in college, it required both anatomy and physiology as pre-req. I think you actually had to have twenty college credits to be accepted it anyway it wasnt 120 hours but that was a looooooooooooong time ago. :)

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, I kind of do :wacko::ph34r:

Our course is around 120 hours. We have ONE NIGHT (3 hours) of A+P. It touches on Pathophys.

Our clinicals are 10 hours at an ER. The ER we work at, all you do is vitals. The hospital staff barely talks to you, never explains anything, only tells you when rooms need vitals. You do the vitals with a machine, otherwise they get mad at you.

But it gets better...

Our Intermediate class was worse (I didn't take this program, I took the better program 5 miles away... -facepalm-) The clinicals requirements were unset. You observed a few intubations in an Operating Room (OBSERVED. NO ONE TUBED.), and then ASSISTED with IVs in the ER for one shift. Many of the people I talk to did either no IVs on their own, or only 1-2.

Yes, they passed Intermediates who had never actually performed an intubation or an IV. And yes, many of these people actually practice as Intermediates in the field. Two of them, however, do not. They are both in my Fire Company. I think it may be because the instructor is in our fire company, and KNOWS how crappily he trained them.

/rant.

Last edited by a moderator:

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
The current National Standard Cirricula for EMT-Basic is (disturbingly) deliberatly designed to be no more than 110 hours in length (Pg 2)

The new National EMS Education Standards for EMT state it is expected to take 150-190 hours.

I'm confused, you said its designed to be NO MORE THAN 110 hours. Isnt 110 hours the MINIMUM? Most classes are probably more around 200 hours, mine was 290.

If they are raising the minimum hours thats great, now all they need is some better standards for instructors to go with that.