Some BLS questions

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Reaction score
When do you assess for lung sounds? Yes its part of your ABCs, but do you assess them as well as circulation in the primary assessment, or secondary?

Do you always need a SAMPLE history?

Do you get baseline vitals directly on the spot when you go in your primary assessment, or do you wait until secondary, then take vitals, and then call them your baseline?

What do you do for a broken nail, or completely dislodged nail?

Do you give water by mouth to dehydration or heat related victims?

This all sounds like homework.

Have to agree with everyone else.

As an EMT you shound know the answers

When do you assess for lung sounds? Yes its part of your ABCs, but do you assess them as well as circulation in the primary assessment, or secondary?

In my primary It is a quick check. are they breathing? is it normal rate, tidal etc

you don't need to use AMPLE/history but you are going to need to chart/document and this information along with your assessment leads you to a diagnosis.

Do you get baseline vitals directly on the spot when you go in your primary assessment, or do you wait until secondary, then take vitals, and then call them your baseline?
most of the time I have my partner get vitals while I interview the pt.

besides wonder why they called 911?

clean and bandage as needed

yes and no, it would depend on the pt and what was going on with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an EMT you shound know the answers

In my primary It is a quick check. are they breathing? is it normal rate, tidal etc

you don't need to use AMPLE/history but you are going to need to chart/document and this information along with your assessment leads you to a diagnosis.

most of the time I have my partner get vitals while I interview the pt.

besides wonder why they called 911?

clean and bandage as needed

yes and no, it would depend on the pt and what was going on with them.
While i am open to helping new providers learn and improve, i will not give them answers to their homework. They do not learn anything this way

While i am open to helping new providers learn and improve, i will not give them answers to their homework. They do not learn anything this way

the op in other posts indicated he/she is an emt and passed the nremt

Take the ridiculous sheet they taught you for EMT school and just assess your patient! :)

Whenever possible, you need the information in there yes. There's a lot of discussion on whether or not acronyms are helpful, but regardless you need as much information and possible. The information in SAMPLE is very important to obtain.

See the information above. That being said, "baseline" is just the first set of vitals that you get, no matter when you get them.

I find a hammer usually works.

Agree sounds like homework. You should know this.

Lung Sounds I will assess on every patient as part of my physical exam. When I check them will depend on patient condition though. Obviously a respiratory chief complaint is going to get them checked sooner than someone with a hand laceration.

I don't use SAMPLE perse'. SAMPLE is a guideline used to help you ask appropriate questions. It is not a rule. Questions should be asked based on patient condition - a text book won't teach you that. SAMPLE is good, but you need to go much deeper than that.

Broken nail - give them a bandaid and point the way to the nearest rite aid so they can buy some nail clippers.

I don't give anything by mouth without doctor or medic approval. If they are that bad that they called 911 then medics are probably going to called and an IV started. Giving a dehydration patient fluids by mouth can induce vomiting which can lead to further dehydration not to mention possible aspiration if they are ALOC.

Heat patients get rapid cooling.

Back