Some ALS advice

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
Im starting my ambulance job tomorrow (finally) gotta do my 5 call, any last minute advice for a new paramedic; not going to lie im nervous. treatment, paperwork, ugh!! Thanks. Cheers

8jimi8

CFRN
thorough assessments and don't ever lie on your paperwork. You should be fine as long as you always think of the patient first. Just remember you may be the first and only person to ever advocate for your patient, fulfill that honor.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Damn... at my first job 5 calls was called a " standard 12 hour shift."

OP
OP
motomedic

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
well thats what it is. ill be working a 12 but ill be the 3rd person blah blah.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The more stuff I read on these forums, the better Oklahoma starts to look for my retirement.

Good-bye Napa, hello Rid...

Epi-do

I see dead people
If you aren't sure what to do, go back to the basics. As long as you have your ABCs covered, the rest will fall into place. Don't be afraid to ask your preceptor for help if you are unsure of what to do, and trust yourself. You really do know what to do, even if you don't feel like you do.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Motomedic is starting a job where they require him to be with an FTO for 5 calls... and then they'll cut him loose of his FTO and he's on his own. Couple things:

• Don't EVER lie.
  • Be your patient's Advocate. You might be their only one.
  • Watch your six. Some medics can be a bit... catty. I've seen that one first hand.
  • Know the protocols... even beyond where it says "Base Order" because your service might have signed an agreement with the EMS Agency to go to completely off-line medical direction, thusly removing the requirement to call in for base orders on most things.
  • Know if your employer has you monitoring K+ drips... generally that's a no-no here unless your employer has a standing agreement with the EMS Agency allowing their medics to monitor it... if they do, 20 MEq/L is typically the max.
Oh, yeah, have fun, and once you've passed your 5 call, treat your partner as your partner, especially if they're an EMT.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hahahaha, like JP, 5 calls is a standard 12 hour shift. Lately we've been averaging 8-10!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As others described, five calls for orientation is dangerous. We do not have a set program but the minimum of at least a month with very seasoned Paramedics (those >10 years Paramedic experience) and maybe more all dependent upon their learning and type of calls experienced. It is a joint decision between Paramedic/FTO and Supervisor and finally me.

It is not unusual for new Paramedic to be with an FTO for orientation at least 3-6 months or longer. Again, periodic review with goals and objectives to be met and accomplished.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Actually Rid, I think it is just you and I that see where 5 calls might be a little on the low side. The other Californians seem to be okay with it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would hate to be the 6'th call or 10,000'th. Sorry folks, field orientation is much more than just observing. In one of the surrounding service it usually takes a Paramedic at least 1 year to be off orientation. They are required to perform at least 500 IV's, >500 IVP and numerous of intubations with an FTO.

I guess we take things a little more seriously. Unfortunately, I wished it was all of us (here and nationally) did.

R/r 911

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually Rid, I think it is just you and I that see where 5 calls might be a little on the low side. The other Californians seem to be okay with it.

Not so ok with it. I, and JP, were merely pointing out that 5 contacts would be 1 shift with our (previous) employers. I personally am horrified that only 5 contacts are needed.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't kill anybody; and if you do ... make it look like it wasn't you fault and you my friend will be fine! B)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I never said that I thought 5 calls was adequate... Where I used to work (prior to becoming a medic) I instituted an FTEP type FTO program for new employees. The people that made it through that program may have been "just" EMTs... but they were nothing short of excellent at it. Typically, they were in that program for about 4-6 months. Some might consider that overkill for Basics... Those that went further in the medical/healthcare field have done well!

I know that a couple of places that use an FTEP-type program for training new Paramedics (to the company) and while they might not have seen everything, it's not like they don't know how!

A "5 call" might be considered "adequate" by the company... but I don't think it is. By a long shot.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Which Californians were those? Heck, even as a basic at an IFT only company, it was a minimum of 3 shifts as a 3rd rider with an FTO with a check sheet of things to cover to be cleared as an attendant. Driver training was another 3 shifts with an FTO as a third rider.

carpentw

Forum Probie
My service has 8 x 24 hour shifts then you are on your own!

Just work on keeping the red stuff inside the body and you will be fine! :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
5 calls? That makes the two weeks one company here requires seem like forever. My company requires you 3rd ride for 3 months.