Social Media Advice

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
This example would have been much more effective without the strong bias. Maybe pick a less inflammatory example?

He has a point of view he's trying to express. He's using a hypothetical example to do that.

I guess you could say anyone with an opinion is showing bias.

Eir

Forum Probie
He has a point of view he's trying to express. He's using a hypothetical example to do that.

I guess you could say anyone with an opinion is showing bias.

Isn't an opinion a form of bias? My point was when you use an example with a lot of baggage, you draw clarity away from the point you're trying to make. That same example could be used to illustrate both "be careful what you share on social media" and "why I think #metoo is bad." It reads more like the latter to me, which is why I mentioned it, but that could be my own biases shaping how I interpret it.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't an opinion a form of bias? My point was when you use an example with a lot of baggage, you draw clarity away from the point you're trying to make. That same example could be used to illustrate both "be careful what you share on social media" and "why I think #metoo is bad." It reads more like the latter to me, which is why I mentioned it, but that could be my own biases shaping how I interpret it.

Yes, opinions are forms of bias, but I don't think opinions themselves are the problem with social media posts. I think the problem is the way some people express their opinions and dispute other people's opinions. We have plenty of choices about which words to use. I don't think we should impulsively characterize others in ways we ourselves would find offensive. (I'm not saying you did that.)

I think it's ok to begin by conceding we all have biases. Next, we can choose to read opinions that may contain some of those biases. Then we decide if any of those opinions are worth our response. If so, we should be civil even if we disagree, because in my opinion, civility helps keep societies together.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Here is a better example.... a group of volunteer firefighters, ages 18-21, are friends, and decide to go on a trip, with camping, fishing, and a decide to make a small camp fire. They also end up having a few beers, and are wearing department T-shirts identifying them as members of the FD (because that's what they do), and take pictures of their trip, including the holding of said beers. A captain from another station (who is friends with them on FB), sees the pictures, and makes a note of it, and brings it to the attention of their lieutenant, who blows him off, saying "I'll talk to them about it next time I see them." Sensing the brush off, the original captain, reiterates his issue, that he is notifying a supervisor that there are underage members of this department, wearing department apparel, consuming alcohol, and they have posted pictures of themselves consuming alcohol on social media.

What do you think the appropriate response should be from the department?

And keep in mind, the whole situation could have been avoided if said pictures were never posted to social media.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the most important part is what you said at the end: that the whole situation could have been avoided if those pictures weren't posted. As others have pointed out, being aware of possible consequences and behaving prudently is more important than exercising the privilege to post.

Each of us is subject to judgment by others for what we say, post, do. To think there are any rights that shield us from that would be naïve. In your example, department T-shirts + beer + photos ==> trouble.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Huh? (Directed to Eir quoting me)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

First, the "baggage" was required in order to highlight how none of us know where we will be years from now, yet the social media you post COULD be used against you.

Second, nowhere did I say #metoo was bad. I simply stated the scenario took place during the heat of the movement which unfortunately gave weight to a claim which otherwise would not have done the damage it did, nor rewarded the individual the way it did. Sadly, false or overzealous claims from a "harmed" party take away from the real victims, which do exist and should be protected and fought for.