So I have a bad driving record...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Bad record dude or whatever.

Why do you think you should be in.a position to help people, when you can't obey the law to save your life.

A Drinking ticket...really? Were you driving? You should be charged with attempted murder. You could kill someone.

Then when you do get.in trouble you don't pay your fines, because again they don't apply to you.

Then how dare you lay your hands on someone else.

You don't deserve to be even near people let alone take care of them, or be anywhere near controlled substances. I wouldnt even want you in the service where someone life could depend on you.

What I just said is what every single employer is going to think of you.

Untill you can get your act together, and prove you are a decent human being. You are screwed. I am not trying to be rude. But obviously you need a reality check, or some tough love, or something.

I believe you can be a great person, and a productive member of society. But it's gonna take time to prove that. And that will require stay out a trouble for more than a year or two at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Anjels on fire!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually with a history like that he sounds like he makes a perfect fit in EMS:rofl:

More like a nursing home, so he can batter and mistreat his patients without fear of legal repercussions

medickat

Forum Crew Member

Why do you think you should be in.a position to help people, when you can't obey the law to save your life.

A Drinking ticket...really? Were you driving? You should be charged with attempted murder. You could kill someone.

Then when you do get.in trouble you don't pay your fines, because again they don't apply to you.

You don't deserve to be even near people let alone take care of them, or be anywhere near controlled substances. I wouldnt even want you in the service where someone life could depend on you.

Untill you can get your act together, and prove you are a decent human being. You are screwed. I am not trying to be rude. But obviously you need a reality check, or some tough love, or something.

I believe you can be a great person, and a productive member of society. But it's gonna take time to prove that. And that will require stay out a trouble for more than a year or two at a time.

Agreed, really. I'm sorry, but I don't think that any career in the healthcare field is for you -- at all.
I realize that people make mistakes, so hopefully your mistakes will be a lesson to someone in the future. Think about your actions and the effect they will have on your life before you carry them out.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Should i even bother getting my ems certificate ?

- suspended license b/c of tickets in 2010 (maybe early 2011)
- vandelism in 2008
- domestic battery charge that was dismissed never reached trial
- drinking ticket in 2007 or 2008
- improper lane usage in 2007 then again in 2009 or 2010 both were traffic accidents

;\ i know what you're all going to say ... this sucks, all the careers i want to pursue require a good driving record. i guess karma is a fickle :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

How do you figure this is karma?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Agreed. With a record like that, you're outlook for a job in EMS looks dismal at best. Quite honestly, these all show a lack of responsibility from where I'm standing, and it makes me think you would be better suited for something outside of the healthcare field.

By the way, it's not karma, it's poor decision making.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
I would be surprised if you passed the states background check because even if the charges are dropped they still show up on a background check. As far as your driving record you could work in a hospital, I have 3 tickets on my record and that doesn't get in the way of how I treat someone. Don't give up on your goals and eventually that stuff won't show up anymore but until then I suggest you stay out of trouble. This country is all about giving 2nd and even 3rd chances so just make the best of them.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You know what you need to do to get back on track. Do it. When it comes to your future, the only things to be found here are guesses. Just like your choices got you into this fine mess, new ones can get you out as well.

Good luck!

EMTBTravis

Forum Ride Along
I actually think you may have a shot at ems. I have a similar record as you, not as recent though. I had a domestic in 08 (which was complete b.s) and a few tickets and a dl susspension but I have kept a clean record for the past 4 years and I currently work for a private ambulance service and as a mechanic at a dealership. I made mistakes when I was younger (I'm 23 now) but if you keep your nose clean for awhile you may be able to get hired somewhere. Most jobs that require you to drive go back 3years on your driving record and all states have dirrerent rules on criminal backgrounds. I'm in FL and I had my domestic before my EMT license but since it was a misdemenor I was able to test but a felony would ruin any chance at all. If you were to start a 2 year paramedic course now, by the time you finish it would put a nice gap in time since your last ticket. I dont know you personally so I cant judge your character as a healthcare professional. This field isnt for everyone but I enjoy it.

mpena

Forum Probie

- vandelism in 2008
- improper lane usage in 2007 then again in 2009 or 2010 both were traffic accidents

;\ i know what you're all going to say ... this sucks, all the careers i want to pursue require a good driving record. i guess karma is a fickle :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Just give it a shot. You'll only find out if you try. On the other hand, I do agree if your record is recent and as it seems repetitive, you will have a nightmare looking for a service to hire you. A guy around here got his certification and became a full time EMT a year after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter after killing someone in a car accident and after jail time. I wouldn't even bother but who knows luck may be on your side..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The biggest thing is to check BEFORE you commit to anything. Your record may disqualify you from even registering for a class. I know a couple states automatically disqualify you if you have an underage drinking citation/conviction.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

- vandelism in 2008

I would suggest verifying in writing that you'd qualify for certification/licensure in whatever field you pursue.

Many jobs are now looking at arrest records, even if the charges were later dismissed or you were found not guilty.

More importantly I'd examine the choices you've made in life and evaluate what changes you'll need to make in order to make more productive choices in the future.

I'd imagine you'd struggle to find a career EMS and would suggest you evaluate other options.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wow. How is this even legal?

By asking questions like "have you ever been arrested and if so, what for?", or "have you ever been charged with a crime, and if so, what for?"

Depending upon the type of background check (federal or state), any arrest or conviction will show up. If you're arrested but not convicted, it will show up as an arrest with acquittal, arrest with case dismissed, or an arrest with no update (especially if the Clerk of Courts fails to update the file).

Misdemeanor arrests will show up on a state criminal history check, while the federal will show mostly felonies (with some exceptions like drug and weapon offenses).

The only way to get these arrests removed from your record is to file to have it expunged. This is not an automatic process, and may not be granted because it generally requires a court order.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Reality check.

The way to get into any Health Care or Public Safety positin would be to go back in time and undo what you did.

If this was 1980, then wait a few years, join the military but it is not.

1) even a volly would not take you

2) domestic battery and public drinking are not traffic violations, as you titled your thread

3) are you musical, creative or a good performer? Maybe become a rapper? Become an actor and play an EMT on TV.....

4) this is a litigeous society, records are computerized and easy to retrieve and there will always be someone else to hire EVEN AT A NURSING HOME!!!

I just got a job at a private in NYC that has a few 911 contracts. They check you out, the FDNY has to approve you, REMSCO, etc., THEY FOUND RECORDS OF DISMISSED CHARGES FROM 1989 STEMMING FROM A BAR FIGHT WHERE I GOT JUMPED, THEN ARRESTED BECAUSE I TURNED THE TABLES, THEY EVEN FOUND RECORDS ABOUT CASES I WAS A WITNESS IN!!!!

THEY FIND EVERYTHING. EVERY-THING. E V E R Y T H I N G !!!

And they will even ask you about things that happened to people with a similar name and close d-o-b.

They made me do a lie detector, just for an $10.25 position!!!!

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Focus less on opinion, and more on facts. All it takes is some inquiry on your end through your State’s EMS Commission. As long as you can get your EMT Certification, then you are good. As far as getting a job on an ambulance, much will be dictated on if you can be insured. If not, there are EMS (EMT) jobs available outside of ambulance services. Good luck, I believe in second chances and judge more on the present instead of the past