So, how hard is it to find a part-time job as an EMT-1?

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I'm new here, and I'm not sure how this works, but I must ask this question :3

Yesterday I signed up for EMT-Basic (or is it called EMT-1?) classes in the Southern California area.

I know that I have to take the NREMT test and whatnot, but assuming that I passed and everything, how hard is it to find a part-time job as an EMT-1 in Southern California?

I'm not really picky about the job itself, whether it's working in an Emergency Room or driving ambulances.

Also I have experience with first aid as a member of my local Community Emergency Response Team.

Thanks for your time :3

EDIT: I'm bilingual and I have nothing on my criminal record, and I'm a United States Marine Corps recruit. I have a Class C driver's license with no points either (I'm not even sure what those are, but I don't have them).

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, where do you live and how far are you willing to commute? For example, I live in San Bernardino right off highway 18 to Lake Arrowhead and I have to commute to Los Angeles for work.

OP
OP
ken158

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I won't provide specifics for obvious reasons but I live in the Long Beach area. But I'm going to relocate to Riverside soon for college, which means strictly part-time.

As for commuting, I'm willing to travel about 20 miles max.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tough time to be picky....

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I completed my EMT class December of 2010.

Got all my certs last summer 2011.

Still looking for a job...

Good luck.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's really hit and miss in SoCal. With you only willing to travel 20 miles max it will really limit you. There may only be 1 ambulance company in that 20 minutes. And from what I have seen most hospitals in RivCo do not use EMTs or Medics in the hospital.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
What happened with Americare?

Unfortunately I didn't pass their written exam. I was honestly surprised I didn't pass it. I missed it by 2. I was reading my EMT book and other stuff the whole week before, there was a lot of protocol questions concerning LA County.

I'm taking it again in a couple of weeks. That guy in the other thread was not lying about the written exam. It owned like half of the people that came in that day.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I won't provide specifics for obvious reasons but I live in the Long Beach area. But I'm going to relocate to Riverside soon for college, which means strictly part-time.

As for commuting, I'm willing to travel about 20 miles max.

AMR, Mission, Lexiom, Valley medical. That's it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's a tough time to be picky....

True in just about any job market for basics.

OP it's going to be very difficult for you to get a job that fits your conditions. Many companies are not looking to hire part time help and they don't need to work around your schedule when there are dozens of potential applicants that will clear there schedules to get a job. You may need to work full time for a bit before being allowed to transition to part time.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Super hard.

In California, it used to be...
EMT 1 = EMT I = National Registry EMT-Basic
EMT 2 = EMT II = National Registry EMT-Intermediate

Now they are gonna go by the National Registry which is EMT, AEMT, and Paramedic respectively.

azerkail

Forum Probie
pasadena fire has a volunteer program but as far as i know its not taking any applications right now...

someone earlier mentioned symons and they aren't taking applications according to their site either. does anyone else know of medical standby-like jobs like that that are also part time? broke college student here as well =P