Sleeping on the job:how do you do it?

EMTMichael

Forum Ride Along
I'm an EMT in NJ. I work for a private ambulance company. We do not take up house in any squad buildings or physical locations. So we supposed to park in a spot that easy to access main highways and are within proximity of our facilities and hospitals. When it comes time to nap, there's only one place to sleep....the ambulance. What do you like to use when you sleep to make you comfortable...do you bring your own pillow, blankets...other sleeping aids? Just curious how everyone else finds comfort in the front ...or back of the rig.

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
I personally can't sleep while on shift, even when it's quiet, the maximum time I'll sleep for is 1 hour and then when I wake up to goto a call it's like I'm worse off than before I went to sleep so I've basically stopped sleeping.

Metro EMS (in ZA) have Toyota Quantums and VW Crafters.

In the Quantums, you can't really sleep in the front, unless you really small, so they put down clean sheets and sleep on the stretchers.
In the Crafters you can curl up nicely.

But like I said, I normally monitor and let my crews sleep (when I'm 3rd)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
How I do it:
-Place head against window
-Pass the F out

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are in the ambulance for 12 hours or less, why the hell are you worried about a nap?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I usually try to sleep for at least 5 hours when I'm on shift...of course I work 24's and have a station, so yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Currently have a station with cots and a couch, so not a problem now.

Before, I worked it like Poetic;

How I do it:
-Place head against window
-Pass the F out

Made sure we were parked someplace out of sight and dark as possible.

<-- Hates poorly executed SSM programs.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I curl up in the seat, grab a pillow from the back and go ahead and sleep. or i'll go put some sheets down on the stretcher and go snooze.

I'm not WORRIED about a nap, but if I'm holding and I'm a little sleepy, I'm gonna sleep.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Napping in a seat is one thing but pre planning with bringing a pillow and blankie, maybe some PJs and warm milk too...

Seriously, any shift 12 hours or less you should not need to snooze. Will you get drowsy, absolutely but this is your job. Night shift or day shift, it is your responsibility to be well rested in order to be alert for the entire 12 hours.

It is amazing how in the EMS culture we discuss naps as they are a right instead of a privilege we get to sneak every now and again.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm an insomniac, so I usually just study or goof off online. If I can get to sleep, though, I will.

Napping in a seat is one thing but pre planning with bringing a pillow and blankie, maybe some PJs and warm milk too...

Seriously, any shift 12 hours or less you should not need to snooze. Will you get drowsy, absolutely but this is your job. Night shift or day shift, it is your responsibility to be well rested in order to be alert for the entire 12 hours.

It is amazing how in the EMS culture we discuss naps as they are a right instead of a privilege we get to sneak every now and again.

Ideally, I'd make them a right on any job with long, irregular shifts and a high potential for serious accidents. For 12s, I can see your gripe, but only if that's the provider's sole committment.

Realistically, trying to make a living in this field often means lots of overtime, multiple jobs, and no chance to establish a steady circadian rhythm. There are only so many times you can check the rig. Studying's pointless when you're too tired to retain the information. You're much more likely to make a mistake (driving or working with the patient) when you're tired. So, if the other priorities are done, I think it's your responsibility to take a nap.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
For 24s I make sure I get a good night sleep the night before, planning on running all day and night. If we're chilling at the station, I will absolutely jump on the chance to relax/nap/sleep. I don't think it's a right, but it's definitely a nice priveledge.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Hahaha. Sure, that's great in theory. Not so great when you're on an 8a to 8p, work holds you over three hours and you live 30-45 minutes away, when you have to be back at 8a the next morning which is the schedule THEY assigned you.

What is wrong with bringing along pillows and a blanket in case you get a chance to sleep? I bring along books and other crap to do at work... Do I expect to? Nope. But if I get the chance too I will absolutely jump at the chance and am glad to be prepared.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Fatigue plus commute time are a real factor.

I have spent a few three hour nights at home because I could afford the gas but not the cost of a motel close to work (well, Guard). I also can vividly remember falling asleep as I pulled into my driveway leading down into my garage once.

I heard of a guy hiding and taking a nap in the engine compartment of a crash firefighting truck once and the bells rang them out:eek:...but I wasn't there.

canadianparamedic

Forum Probie
4 out 5 days im in a helicoter once you can sleep in that.....then an ambulance is confertable. in my work locker i have a pillow fro thoes nights when no calls come in.
sent from my phone sorry for spelling mistakes.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha. Sure, that's great in theory. Not so great when you're on an 8a to 8p, work holds you over three hours and you live 30-45 minutes away, when you have to be back at 8a the next morning which is the schedule THEY assigned you.

What is wrong with bringing along pillows and a blanket in case you get a chance to sleep? I bring along books and other crap to do at work... Do I expect to? Nope. But if I get the chance too I will absolutely jump at the chance and am glad to be prepared.

And what other career do people plan for their down times...which is my point.

Lots of jobs pull 12 hour shifts but I never see them packing their snuggie and coloring books. :)

My point is we expect it and are almost demanding of it...as if we are the only ones who work these long shifts and we have earned it. Just sayin...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Lots of jobs pull 12 hour shifts but I never see them packing their snuggie and coloring books. :)

My point is we expect it and are almost demanding of it...as if we are the only ones who work these long shifts and we have earned it. Just sayin...

That's all true. I think we're actually closer to getting this issue right than most fields, though. Everyone needs sleep, but driving down the highway when we might as well be drunk has become normal throughout society. Some of it is cultural--where else is sleep deprivation a status symbol? Some of it is the economy--everyone's working multiple jobs. It's normal, but it's still excessive and dangerous.

For what it's worth, our parking lots often all sorts of people napping in their vehicles. Construction workers, truck drivers, lawn care crews, even the occasional cop. We're only different because our supervisors expect it.

[/soapbox]

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I dont sleep, We work 12's so it isnt really necessary, and we are so busy that if we arent running calls we are writing charts. IF we are actually slow enough to have down time I usually read or my partner teaches me stuff

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
85.jpg

We usually don't have time to sleep but if we do these things are amazing.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
We have the 'right' to sleep from the hours of 8pm to 6am. That is in our contract. That does not mean you get to if you are running calls. We exclusively work 24 hour shifts though. At my old service I work overnights - 12 hour shifts. I never came to work thinking about when to sleep, as I was expected by my employers to be busy/working for 12 hours. Whether that be calls, reports, checking equipment, training, planning training sessions (2 training sessions were done a month, with every provider taking a rotation and a turn to teach). PR/public awarness, therefore that is what we did for the majority of our shift.

Sasha

Forum Chief

What other career that works 12s involves driving for most of the shift? Getting held over for 3 hours and still being expected back in 9 hours? Or involves near the down time you can have in EMS? I have never heard of any other profession that could have nothing to do for 10 hours.

Nothing wrong for planning what you do in your down time. When we are busy we are busy but when we are not its booooooring.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: