Votes: 2 13.3%
  • In the future

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No need for them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mikie

Forum Lurker
Just finished a 16 hour Laerdal SimMan training session. My school just bought a few & variations. The thing's pretty darn cool, heck of a lot of features. It'll will be interesting to see how it will be integrated into prehosptial education

Is anyone else's departments/schools/hospitals/institutions/etc using Simulators for their training & education?

Oh and there goes ~$5000 spent on ACLS algorithm scenerios that will need updating! ...wasn't my money though!

JPINFV

Gadfly
We use standardized patients to practice histories and physicals on.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Can you explain your simutlator, im only a basic and have no idea what you said.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
My school had two electronic sim mans controlled by PDA's, an unpowered trauma dummy (with full airway), three weighted dummies for lifting and two torsos. The lab also had a mock-up of the back of an ambulance (appropriate height for lifting, cabinet wall, jump seat and bench) and a small room set up as a generic residence. The rest of the lab was fairly wide open.

My service is in transition right now from our current HQ to a new campus opening in May 2011.

The current education facilities also double as the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). For simulation there's a room set-up with the sim-man with an adjoining control room for running the simulation remotely. There's also various other simulators and dummies that can be used for training, but the interior space is somewhat limited.

The new HQ is set to have an incredible simulation facility. The sim lab will be an open two storey area with a control room and viewing gallery making up the second floor. The rest is best described as a movie soundstage. There's a large door leading from the lab out to the garage so that vehicles can be moved in if desired. The rest (as described by our Chief) will be like a sandbox where various walls and props can be moved in to set up different environments to work in. Not only will this allow more freeform simulations but it separates the classroom, simulation and EOC spaces.

The new HQ is also going to have an outside training area with generic streets and intersections.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Just finished a 16 hour Laerdal SimMan training session. My school just bought a few & variations. The thing's pretty darn cool, heck of a lot of features. It'll will be interesting to see how it will be integrated into prehosptial education

Is anyone else's departments/schools/hospitals/institutions/etc using Simulators for their training & education?

Oh and there goes ~$5000 spent on ACLS algorithm scenerios that will need updating! ...wasn't my money though!

We've had several of the SimMan, and a SimBaby. The L/S are mechanical sounding, so you have to learn what each type of sound is supposed to represent. Other than that, it's a decent product. I like the way the instructor can manipulate the airway to increase the difficulty in dropping a tube. We have a full scale ambulance mock up, and a living room w/ a bed and a crib.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
we have a good few like that sim man but not as advanced. Our best one generates a rythm for the ecg but the rest is up to how good your imagination is and your training officers is.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Attachments

• 2010-09-27 09.16.20.jpg
    2010-09-27 09.16.20.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 182

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I get to play with the METIman at my school tonight. I'm way stoked. Should be a good lab night.