Should we use Narcan on all CPR calls?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I saw the study a little while ago. So 15 out of 36 patients had EKG changes after Narcan. 47% of the 15 (so 7) had changed immediately after the Narcan was given

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Critmedic had a podcast with this exact study here is his take. https://www.critmedic.com/podcasts/episode-14-when-narcan-nar-cant/

Keep in mind all were pronounced except one which doesn't sound promising and some of them died in the hospital setting. There were two where there was no follow up. Justify the cost benefit analysis? Can we make a definitive conclusion with this limited data? More studies may be needed before a quality answer is reached.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I think we should just give every unconscious patient an amp of dextrose, 0.2mg flumazenil, 2mg narcan and 100mg of thiamine

There was a time, not to long ago, that we dealt with overdoses with a BVM and people woke up on the way to the ER. If the patient is in arrest, good ventilation will counter the opiod

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Everybody gets the coma cocktail!
Let's not forget the Calcium Chlordie and Bicarb in spite of checking downtimes, and/ or serious suspicious for hyperkalemia in said cardiac arrest patients (RF patients anyone?)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Everybody gets the coma cocktail!

That's just Sunday brunch, my good sir!

In all seriousness, naloxone for everyone is the kind of thing that gets EMS treated as the red-headed stepchild at the healthcare table.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I think the idea is that more studies need to be done and the meds have to be given to the correct pt population. Giving narcan to a 99y/o cardiac arrest would not be the correct pt. The 20 or 30 something with known access to opiates, maybe we would see a difference if we could get a big enough sample size. My personal sample size is low and all were given narcan prior to arrival in the ER but I have not had any survivors. However, anecdote doesn't equal evidence.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think the idea is that more studies need to be done and the meds have to be given to the correct pt population. Giving narcan to a 99y/o cardiac arrest would not be the correct pt. The 20 or 30 something with known access to opiates, maybe we would see a difference if we could get a big enough sample size. My personal sample size is low and all were given narcan prior to arrival in the ER but I have not had any survivors. However, anecdote doesn't equal evidence.
Awesome insight, thanks Doc!:)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hmmm... How did I miss this before? The AHA is saying we (including lay responders and BLS) should give Narcan, to anyone suspected of an opiate OD in cardiac arrest.

"Experience with treatment of patients with known or suspected opioid overdose has demonstrated that naloxone can be administered with apparent safety and effectiveness in the first aid and BLS settings. For this reason, naloxone administration by lay rescuers and HCPs is now recommended, and simplified training is being offered. In addition, a new algorithm for management of unresponsive victims with suspected opioid overdose is provided."

narcan.png

Highlights of the 2015 American Heart Association Guideline Updates for CPR and ECC at https://eccguidelines.heart.org/wp-...10/2015-AHA-Guidelines-Highlights-English.pdf.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The AHA is saying we (including lay responders and BLS) should give Narcan, to anyone suspected of an opiate OD in cardiac arrest.
They specified that this is for patients with a pulse, but abnormal breathing, I believe.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
They specified that this is for patients with a pulse, but abnormal breathing, I believe.

Actually... It's for a suspected opiate arrest, with the hedge being that the first responder may not beable to differentatte between respiratory arrest and a full cardiac arrest.

Cardiac Arrest in Patients With Known or Suspected Opioid Overdose 2015 (New): Patients with no definite pulse may be in cardiac arrest or may have an undetected weak or slow pulse. These patients should be managed as cardiac arrest patients. Standard resuscitative measures should take priority over naloxone administration, with a focus on high-quality CPR (compressions plus ventilation). It may be reasonable to administer IM or IN naloxone based on the possibility that the patient is in respiratory arrest, not in cardiac arrest. Responders should not delay access to more-advanced medical services while awaiting the patient’s response to naloxone or other interventions.

This is a better first responder algorithm.

opiate.png

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually... It's for a suspected opiate arrest, with the hedge being that the first responder may not beable to differentatte between respiratory arrest and a full cardiac arrest.
View attachment 3010

Given the caveat (and the prioritization of CPR over naloxone administration), I suppose that makes sense.

cprted

Forum Captain
Without delving into the Naloxone in Cardiac Arrest discussion, what makes you think this person is in arrest secondary to a drug overdose? Just because they're on the younger side? Was there drug paraphernalia at the scene? Do they have a history of drug abuse? Were there empty pill bottles? Tract marks?

Could they be a Brugada Syndrome? PE? Undiagnosed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Tension Pneumo? Hemorrhagic CVA?

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Without delving into the Naloxone in Cardiac Arrest discussion, what makes you think this person is in arrest secondary to a drug overdose? Just because they're on the younger side? Was there drug paraphernalia at the scene? Do they have a history of drug abuse? Were there empty pill bottles? Tract marks?

Could they be a Brugada Syndrome? PE? Undiagnosed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Tension Pneumo? Hemorrhagic CVA?

Where I worked, most younger arrests were secondary to drug overdose, especially opiates. But short of obvious signs there's really no way to know, especially since many chronic drug abusers will have other health problems.

phideux

Forum Captain

The first flow-chart Demedic put up says this, administer Narcan per protocol, in pt with a pulse and abnormal resps. The second one he put up is a different one showing the flow-chart for a cardiac arrest with suspicion of Opiate OD.