Should a tactical medic be armed?

• Yes

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
then as a LEO i want to be able to get ketamine and intubate people??? If you want the duties of a law enforcement officer, become one. The same as if i want the duties of a paramedic i'll become one.

Cops get narcan! I at least want a taser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
There's two ways of looking at this- depending upon how you define "tactical" medic- If one means within the sense of military service, it is illegal under international law for the medical corps of any country to be armed. The reason why is because medical units are automatically considered "non-combatants" and may not intentionally be fired upon, so long as they wear clear medical insignia.

If we're talking within the sense of civilian tactical operations, the issue gets blurred with a quickness. For starters, I am of the opinion that anyone whom carries a weapon should at least be credentialed as BLS and more importantly how to handle weapons-related injuries in the basic sense. (at least knowing what NOT to do- and this is coming from someone whom has responded to a gunshot call where someone tried to use SUPER GLUE as a clot activator.) - A great deal of BLS should be common sense- but oddly enough people these days seem to be lacking in that. Hence, cross training is always a good idea.

However, giving paramedics GUNS is not an answer to problems that SHOULD be under control by law enforcement. But, this depends upon how one defines "tactical medic" (as opposed to the majority of us) for purposes of civilian non-military use.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
Cops get narcan! I at least want a taser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Cops with narcan really isn't the best idea, in my book, unless we train them when NOT to use it. I know of at least one case where a cop used narcan to try to counteract IV Tramadol. The result WASN'T good, to say the least.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
***see POLL above***

In my area, tactical medics are a 'newer thing' with each city and its local EMS service taking a slightly different approach to the selection process and how they are implemented. The general consensus is that Tac medics are employed by and report for duty to their local EMS service and are dispatched on request of the tactical team (at which point they will rendezvous at location). One perspective is this makes them medics first, tactical unit members second, so a firearm is not necessary to render emergency first aid. Another perspective is that the role of a Tac medic requires a firearm in lieu of the hazards it presents. .

I suspect the majorty of the forum members here are in the USA which has a strong pro-gun culture, so I'm hoping you can comment objectively on the role and scope of a tactical medic. (Personally, I'm not a fan of guns but I am in the camp that tactical medics should be armed).

- C

Under this definition- this is a situation where in all reality, this poses liability issues- because the courts will tend to define you as an adjunct to law enforcement if you in any way involve yourself with a tactical team such as SWAT etc. This means that effectively, Miranda will apply to you just as much as the rest of the team, and you might not be able to ask a patient the proper questions without placing a case in legal limbo.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Cops with narcan really isn't the best idea, in my book, unless we train them when NOT to use it. I know of at least one case where a cop used narcan to try to counteract IV Tramadol. The result WASN'T good, to say the least.

What was the result? Inappropriate Narcan administration shouldn't cause any harm is far outweighed by the much more frequent benefit from treating actual narcotic overdoes.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
What was the result? Inappropriate Narcan administration shouldn't cause any harm is far outweighed by the much more frequent benefit from treating actual narcotic overdoes.

Narcan in the presence of Tramadol is well-documented to cause seizures and more rarely status elipticus. It mimics TCAs in a lot of ways, yet also has opioid effects as well. The particular case in question resulted in status elipticus and consequential arrest.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Narcan in the presence of Tramadol is well-documented to cause seizures and more rarely status elipticus. It mimics TCAs in a lot of ways, yet also has opioid effects as well. The particular case in question resulted in status elipticus and consequential arrest.
There are studies that are both sides of that fence. Some state it may cause the seizures to come on faster while others state there were less patients with seizures after Narcan admin. Let’s also not forget that seizures are a side effect of tramadol overdose.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Based off a quick search I definitely wouldn't consider it "well documented" and as @DesertMedic66 said the literature is not conclusive. Correlation does not equal causation. Massive Tramadol overdoes are likely to seize and become apneic regardless.

The only study I could find that supports the claim that Narcan lowers the seizure threshold in Tramadol overdoes still states "The findings do not suggest that naloxone should be withheld, but that the potential for seizure should be noted and any forthcoming seizure dealt with. More research is needed to further define the factors that affect the seizurogenicity of naloxone in tramadol overdose."
http://eprints.arums.ac.ir/3741/1/Naloxone.pdf

But regardless even if that was the case a few rare incidents do not outweigh the benefits. Opioid overdoses are far more likely than Tramadol and most of the time we do not know what the patient overdosed on and commonly is polypharmacy.

Dustoff707

Forum Probie
Not 100% sure how TECC works but TCCC's first step is suppressing the threat before rendering any care to your patient. Can't do that if you're not armed. Another gun in the fight to end it faster to provide better care in a tactical field care situation rather than a care under fire situation where care is very limited is more desirable.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
There's two ways of looking at this- depending upon how you define "tactical" medic- If one means within the sense of military service, it is illegal under international law for the medical corps of any country to be armed. The reason why is because medical units are automatically considered "non-combatants" and may not intentionally be fired upon, so long as they wear clear medical insignia.
Ok, I've gotta see this one... Please cite international law and applicability... ;)

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I've gotta see this one... Please cite international law and applicability... ;)

Luno, did you really just question that? NOTICE that I specifically restricted what I said to "military combat" situations:

"In 1864, sixteen European states adopted the first-ever Geneva Convention to save lives and alleviate the suffering of wounded and sick persons in the battlefield. As well as to protect trained medical personnel as non-combatants, in the act of rendering aid.

Chapter IV, Article 25 of the Geneva Convention states that: "Members of the armed forces specially trained for employment, should the need arise, as hospital orderlies, nurses or auxiliary stretcher-bearers, in the search for or the collection, transport or treatment of the wounded and sick shall likewise be respected and protected if they are carrying out these duties at the time when they come into contact with the enemy or fall into his hands." Article 29 reads: "Members of the personnel designated in Article 25 who have fallen into the hands of the enemy, shall be prisoners of war, but shall be employed on their medical duties insofar as the need arises."

According to the Geneva Convention, knowingly firing at a medic wearing clear insignia is a war crime.[2]

In modern times, most combat medics carry a personal weapon, to be used to protect themselves and the wounded or sick in their care.[3] When and if they use their arms offensively, they then sacrifice their protection under the Geneva Conventions. These medics are specifically trained.[4]"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_medic (internal references omitted.) I think that represents a good overview of that side of things. :-D

As for the other part of that, It's fairly basic constitutional law combined with the common law doctrine that "the hand of one is the hand of all", Therefore the paramedic whom engages in questioning of a person whom is subject to a criminal investigation could be considered subject to Miranda where that paramedic traveled to the scene as any part of any law enforcement team. This even extends
to more everyday situations we might encounter- if you ask an OD subject "what did you take" in the presence of a law enforcement officer, or you in any way tell the law enforcement officer what the individual took, you've violated that individual's fifth amendment right to have an attorney present before any questioning. Conversely, it doesn't violate the right so long as I take steps to remove the officer from the immediate area to prevent the officer from overhearing confidential information, and I don't tell the officer that confidential information.

We have to remember that EVERYTHING that comes out of the patients mouth is potential PHI - and handing PHI over to law enforcement without the required civil process WILL get you sued.

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
It's easy for the cops, have some common sense and they won't kill anyone with Narcan. Pinpoint pupils, there goes the Naxaloneeeee.

Now you got a pissed patient that ain't happy you saved his life. Lol, welcome to EMS.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
Based off a quick search I definitely wouldn't consider it "well documented" and as @DesertMedic66 said the literature is not conclusive. Correlation does not equal causation. Massive Tramadol overdoes are likely to seize and become apneic regardless.

The only study I could find that supports the claim that Narcan lowers the seizure threshold in Tramadol overdoes still states "The findings do not suggest that naloxone should be withheld, but that the potential for seizure should be noted and any forthcoming seizure dealt with. More research is needed to further define the factors that affect the seizurogenicity of naloxone in tramadol overdose."
http://eprints.arums.ac.ir/3741/1/Naloxone.pdf

But regardless even if that was the case a few rare incidents do not outweigh the benefits. Opioid overdoses are far more likely than Tramadol and most of the time we do not know what the patient overdosed on and commonly is polypharmacy.

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but yet where there's smoke there's fire. Interesting thought process, there.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Wikipedia as a source... hmm.
Never thought of that :rolleyes:

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
It's easy for the cops, have some common sense and they won't kill anyone with Narcan. Pinpoint pupils, there goes the Naxaloneeeee.

Now you got a pissed patient that ain't happy you saved his life. Lol, welcome to EMS.

On second thought- when we consider the potential for opioid withdraw effects, yeah... why not? So long as I ain't the one who has to end up dealing with it. :-D And Just to think, the waive all started with Judy Garland dying on the porcelain God from a combination of bulimia and an overdose of seconal.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If the answer is no, then they are not a tactical medic. You have to have the ability to be "tactical" not tacticool.

Period.

A vest and helmet does not make a tactical medic. It is the training in tactics, firearms, and medicine in combo that does make a tactical medic.

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
On second thought- when we consider the potential for opioid withdraw effects, yeah... why not? So long as I ain't the one who has to end up dealing with it. :-D And Just to think, the waive all started with Judy Garland dying on the porcelain God from a combination of bulimia and an overdose of seconal.
Dude around these parts if the patient is swinging his hands open handed, you just call fire. We let fire and LE deal with the ****. Because, I don't have too, Lol.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah it's a go to when your not in the mood to pull extensive research on the non-technical mundane, especially when your at least 90 per cent sure your right.

90% huh? No need to investigate or research because you're so sure you're right...Not bad...
obama-fbi-cap_1393420i.jpg

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
Dude around these parts if the patient is swinging his hands open handed, you just call fire. We let fire and LE deal with the ****. Because, I don't have too, Lol.

Right....until said patient slaps the taste out of your mouth while in the back of your rig while your going down the street. Not much the LEOs are going to do about that, really. :D:cool: