Should I do a no-experience Paramedic program straight out?

FutureParamedic12

Forum Probie
Okay, so I'm 17 (I just turned 17 a few days ago). I got a huge scholarship from the university I'm going to so I practically am paying nothing my freshman year, and I just got another huge scholarship from an external source and I want to use that money for paramedic training. I do have experience though. I placed 3rd in a state level EMT-B competition after placing first in the area and regional HOSA competition. I'm advancing to nationals.

I'm not trained as an EMT or anything, but I hate the EMT students at my school and I felt like I should do this competition to rid of their egos. They think they are sooo smart and can handle any situation. Like, my teacher touched something on his desk and started having labored breathing and hive break-outs in his upper extremities. They were all over him and when I tried to assist them they were like, "...What level class are you in?....We have this, you can go back and sit down." The teacher was having an anaphylactic reaction and all I hear the EMT kids saying is, "OMG. He's going into respiratory arrest! Get the BVM! Get the AED! Call the ambulance and tell them we need an ALS unit here STAT."

I walked up to him and was like, "Do you have an epinepherine auto-injector?"

He shook his head (relieved I could tell) and pointed to his bag. I got it out and injected it in his thigh. He was fine.

We also had a Teen CERT competition where there was a mock disaster and I was part of the medical team (we had 23 patients) and of course the instructor would get the EMT kids to help. They didn't know what they were doing (I wouldn't trust them with my life). I took over and pretty much treated all of the patients by myself while I got evil looks from everyone. We ended up winning the medical competition because of me.

We have first aid clinics at my school during events and I think it's so funny how the EMT instructor never chooses any of her students to run it. She chooses me and my EMT competition partner (who also isn't in EMT training).

I'm sorry about rambling about this, it just annoys me so much so when I get on the topic I ramble. lol.

So, anyways...I'm graduating a year early (this year) and I wanted to do EMT training this summer with the money I got from my scholarship. The EMT instructor at my school recommended me to do the EMT-B training online. It's a program where you do the book work online and the skills at a skills station. She said that'd be a great option for me since I already have most of the EMT-B knowledge and skills down...but I saw a program where I could do the entire Paramedic training online (what I really want to do...I want to become a paramedic before I graduate college)...it's like an A to Z program where you start from nothing and finish with a paramedic certificate. It sounds really interesting and I really want to do it. I told the EMT instructor and she said that she thinks I'm ready academically to be a paramedic but she doesn't know if I am emotionally since I'm only 17. I think I am...but idk.... and I wanted to get the opinions of you guys. Should I do it?

Thanks for your help! :)

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Online paramedic training isn't really considered that great, and is thought to churn out large quantities of half trained medics.
My recommendation is to get your EMT-B and ride with the local ambulance to get a feel for how it works out on the streets before committing to EMT-P, which you might have to be 18 for anyway, depending on where you are.

What university are you going to? If it's large enough it may have a campus EMS service that would put you through EMT-B and get you experience riding the ambulance. If you're really lucky, it might have an ALS program there, or at least one nearby so that you could take paramedic along with school if you decide that's what you want to do.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I placed 3rd in a state level EMT-B competition after placing first in the area and regional HOSA competition. I'm advancing to nationals. I'm not trained as an EMT or anything, but I hate the EMT students at my school and I felt like I should do this competition to rid of their egos.

If you are not an EMT, how are you competing in an EMT competition.. When did Health Occupation students of America start hosting EMS competitions?

I see several flaws in your thinking.

First of all, if you walk into an EMS program with the attitude that you know everything already, etc... Your instructor is going to show you how much you don't know real quick.

They think they are sooo smart and can handle any situation.

What makes you think you are any better?

Like, my teacher touched something on his desk and started having labored breathing and hive break-outs in his upper extremities. They were all over him and when I tried to assist them they were like, "...What level class are you in?....We have this, you can go back and sit down." The teacher was having an anaphylactic reaction and all I hear the EMT kids saying is, "OMG. He's going into respiratory arrest! Get the BVM! Get the AED! Call the ambulance and tell them we need an ALS unit here STAT."

Explain to me the pathophysiology of type I hypersensitivity reactions and the roles of IgE antibodies on mast cells play in these types of reactions as well as the effect of subsequent degranulation and release of inflammatory mediators..

What are the common symptoms?

What is the treatment?

Why is this the treatment of choice?

He shook his head (relieved I could tell) and pointed to his bag. I got it out and injected it in his thigh. He was fine.

Where on his thigh? Explain to me how you used the auto-injector... Moreover, explain to me what was in that auto-injector.

We also had a Teen CERT competition where there was a mock disaster and I was part of the medical team (we had 23 patients) and of course the instructor would get the EMT kids to help. They didn't know what they were doing (I wouldn't trust them with my life). I took over and pretty much treated all of the patients by myself while I got evil looks from everyone. We ended up winning the medical competition because of me.

You took over, and they won because of you... So you are pretty much saying that you did everything. A paramedic instructor would eat you alive for a comment like this.

We have first aid clinics at my school during events and I think it's so funny how the EMT instructor never chooses any of her students to run it. She chooses me and my EMT competition partner (who also isn't in EMT training).

I doubt this. Why on Earth would an EMT instructor choose someone who is not an EMT to run a first aid clinic? This seems a bit strange to me.

I'm sorry about rambling about this, it just annoys me so much so when I get on the topic I ramble. lol.

So, anyways...I'm graduating a year early (this year) and I wanted to do EMT training this summer with the money I got from my scholarship. The EMT instructor at my school recommended me to do the EMT-B training online. It's a program where you do the book work online and the skills at a skills station. She said that'd be a great option for me since I already have most of the EMT-B knowledge and skills down...but I saw a program where I could do the entire Paramedic training online (what I really want to do...I want to become a paramedic before I graduate college)...it's like an A to Z program where you start from nothing and finish with a paramedic certificate. It sounds really interesting and I really want to do it. I told the EMT instructor and she said that she thinks I'm ready academically to be a paramedic but she doesn't know if I am emotionally since I'm only 17. I think I am...but idk.... and I wanted to get the opinions of you guys. Should I do it?

No. With your "I can do it all on my own" attitude, and your obvious disregard for other students, you will inevitably fail or be asked to leave an EMS program.

Work on the attitude, then get with a campus-based EMS program if that is what you choose to pursue. Judging from what I have read in this post, you are not ready to enter an emergency medical technology program... Furthermore, paramedic and EMT-B are two different levels completely, so I am not sure what you mean by "no experience paramedic program straight out"... However, I will say, that if you were lucky enough to make it through EMT-B with that attitude, you absolutely will not make it through Paramedic.. You would be eaten alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
Take your time! You're 17, and just barely. You're younger than you realize or want to admit. How do I know? Because I was probably a lot like you when I was 17. Because you're mature, you think that when people make comments about 17 being young that it really doesn't apply to you completely. Let me tell you though, it still does. I know you probably won't believe this, and I probably didn't believe it when people told me, but it is true.

Go to college and focus on getting a good education there. If you can get involved with a campus response team, do that. There does not need to be any rush to become a paramedic. There will always be sick people who need a ride to the hospital. Having a degree will help you be a better paramedic, if that is what you still want to do once you graduate from college.

In terms of your attitude, I think it does need some adjustment to be successful in EMS, but please do not take this as a personal attack. Firstly, I don't know you. I'm just making judgements based on one post in an online forum. Secondly, I'm inclined to believe that much of what you say about your skills is true. It is great that you have some medical knowledge, but you need to be careful to not come across as arrogant. The important thing is that you need to pay attention how you are PERCEIVED. You may be the most modest person in the world in your head, but if other people think you are arrogant than that is all that really matters when it comes to interactions with them, isn't it? You may very well have just been trying to tell us of your accomplishments that you are quite proud of, but I'm sure that you can understand that repeatedly saying you with no EMT training are better than EMTs or EMT students can be perceived negatively.

So in summary, my advice would be:
- you're young, enjoy life
- go to college and focus on that
- be careful how you are perceived

Good luck with everything!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I think its refreshing that there is a seventeen year old with a significant grasp of the english language that can use paragraphs and grammer to express himself, I had all but given up hope.

There's a fine line between cocky and confident, but I like someone with a little edge, life experience will tone that down a little. I also like that he has the attitude that he conquer the world, isnt locked in his bedroom playing x-box and doesn't communicate through text message language.

Stay in school get an education, take an emt class, preferably not on line. I believe initial training/education should be done in person.

Always remember there isnt anything wrong with confidence as long as you can deliver the goods.

Good luck.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, so I'm 17 (I just turned 17 a few days ago). I got a huge scholarship from the university I'm going to so I practically am paying nothing my freshman year, and I just got another huge scholarship from an external source and I want to use that money for paramedic training. I do have experience though. I placed 3rd in a state level EMT-B competition after placing first in the area and regional HOSA competition. I'm advancing to nationals.

I'm not trained as an EMT or anything, but I hate the EMT students at my school and I felt like I should do this competition to rid of their egos. They think they are sooo smart and can handle any situation. Like, my teacher touched something on his desk and started having labored breathing and hive break-outs in his upper extremities. They were all over him and when I tried to assist them they were like, "...What level class are you in?....We have this, you can go back and sit down." The teacher was having an anaphylactic reaction and all I hear the EMT kids saying is, "OMG. He's going into respiratory arrest! Get the BVM! Get the AED! Call the ambulance and tell them we need an ALS unit here STAT."

Hmm, all of that to say you want to be a Medic? Okay, that's great. What's sad is that it's of secondary importance. Human lives aren't secondary in my book but then again, I'm not 17 anymore either. My suggestion is; go get an education. One day, when being a care provider becomes more important than showing off, give Medic a try.

Tommerag

What day is it?
To put it simply: No.

I'll expand on that when I wake up.

Badgers Sleep?

If taking a paramedic class is something you really want to do go for it. You will need to be 18 though. I'm not sure where you are from, but Im guessing you will have to be 18 to take the EMT-B course as well. You at least need to be 18 to take the NREMT EMT-B test.

You may think you know everything, but you'll need to accept that you don't. Also remember that actual calls tend to not happen like the examples you are given in textbooks.

I don't recommend taking medic class online. There is a lot of information in medic school and plus how would you be able to practice labs and what not. Something to think about.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Online paramedic training isn't really considered that great, and is thought to churn out large quantities of half trained medics.

Really? Actually it is just the opposite with quality online programs. They make you study harder. You have to research rather than be spoon fed the material. The only bad part is most do not qualify for college credit. I see more low quality products from college courses than I do the online ones.

Now on individual level most are not self disciplined enough to complete an online program.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I don't recommend taking medic class online. There is a lot of information in medic school and plus how would you be able to practice labs and what not. Something to think about.

Another falsehood. Online does not mean they do not require hands on labs and practice. You do the lectures and research online. You go to the campus and do labs and hands on.

If online is so bad why are colleges doing online education, including EMS and other health professions now?

18G

Paramedic
Maybe it's just the way your coming across on the forum, but as MedicRob has pointed out your attitude and thinking could use a little tweaking.

I applaud you for wanting to explore EMS and for wanting to see what it is all about but please do so with an open mind and never think that you know it all. Even if your a hard head like myself always remember your not all that and someone out there knows 25x more than you and you can learn something from them. Your peers are some of the best people to learn from!

As far as the online Paramedic program. There is no simple yes or no answer to that question. It all depends on how the online programs are conducted, who is conducting them, and how the student learns through that method of delivery. For me, I would not have the focus to do a Paramedic program all online. I need to be in a classroom.

And please do not look at an online program as a short cut by any means. If anything the online program is more difficult. There is a local College that offers an online option where you complete the didactic portion online and go to the College every weekend, once a week, or something like that for the hands-on portion and you do your clinicals also. If at anytime your not liking the online delivery you can transition into the traditional classroom program.

So check out your options and go from there. Your success depends largely on attitude. If you have any further questions just ask.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Another falsehood. Online does not mean they do not require hands on labs and practice. You do the lectures and research online. You go to the campus and do labs and hands on.

If online is so bad why are colleges doing online education, including EMS and other health professions now?

I am starting to see more and more paramedic programs becoming hybrid courses. I don't really see a problem with them, so long as the student is motivated and getting the proper feedback and necessary content from the instructors. In today's economy with gas approaching $4 a gallon, hybrid and online courses are becoming more popular than ever.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I am starting to see more and more paramedic programs becoming hybrid courses. I don't really see a problem with them, so long as the student is motivated and getting the proper feedback and necessary content from the instructors. In today's economy with gas approaching $4 a gallon, hybrid and online courses are becoming more popular than ever.

Exactly. Plus colleges are seeing it saves them money as well. It's not just Paramedic. I can take many nursing and even pre med classes online/hybrid.

And gas is well over $4 in my area. :sad:

OP
OP
F

FutureParamedic12

Forum Probie
Thank you guys for your responses! I think I'm going to go traditional and sign up for EMT/Paramedic training with a local community college. :) I also thank you for not beating me down like the guy below. I wasn't trying to sound cocky. It's just that I hate when people don't take things seriously. The people in that class are nothing like you guys. Obviously you guys are emergency medicine enthusiasts, and I came here to get advice from you because I see you as role models. If I thought I was better than any of you, would I be posting on this forum?

I know that there's still a lot that I have to learn, and in no way am I saying that I'm ready to handle a patient's life, I just get upset with the thought of the EMT students at my school. They are really cocky (if you think I'm cocky...come to my school) and they really know nothing because they don't care. They don't pay attention in class and 80% of the class is failing. It pisses me off because the EMT instructor is amazing and she loves teaching that class but no one cares and it's like she's wasting her time. So sorry if I came off as cocky/arrogant. I'm really not in person. I promise. :)

First of all, if you walk into an EMS program with the attitude that you know everything already, etc... Your instructor is going to show you how much you don't know real quick.

I'm sure she/he will. I know there's still a lot for me to learn.

Explain to me the pathophysiology of type I hypersensitivity reactions and the roles of IgE antibodies on mast cells play in these types of reactions as well as the effect of subsequent degranulation and release of inflammatory mediators..

What are the common symptoms?

What is the treatment?

Why is this the treatment of choice?

I'm not in medical school. Sorry. But I'm sure that's not a hard topic to learn. Again, not trying to make myself sound like I'm better than any of you guys. Obviously I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't value your opinion and saw you as role models and mentors.

Where on his thigh? Explain to me how you used the auto-injector... Moreover, explain to me what was in that auto-injector.

Are you being serious? I don't even want to answer that...

You took over, and they won because of you... So you are pretty much saying that you did everything. A paramedic instructor would eat you alive for a comment like this.

Oh really? Because I did take over and did everything. Everyone else sat there except when I occasionally asked them to throw over gauze, roller bandages, etc. I don't see why a paramedic instructor would eat me alive for stating something that I did...

I doubt this. Why on Earth would an EMT instructor choose someone who is not an EMT to run a first aid clinic? This seems a bit strange to me.

Well, not to be arrogant, but I am going to nationals for an EMT competition...I know how to handle a cut wound. HOSA competitions are intense. Everything has to be done perfectly if you even want to place in the top 10. Going above and beyond is the only way you'll advance. The EMT students don't take that class seriously. Me and the EMT instructor talked the entire trip to our state competition about how her class didn't have a passion for medicine like she did and how depressing that was for her to teach a class that did not care.

Work on the attitude, then get with a campus-based EMS program if that is what you choose to pursue. Judging from what I have read in this post, you are not ready to enter an emergency medical technology program... Furthermore, paramedic and EMT-B are two different levels completely, so I am not sure what you mean by "no experience paramedic program straight out"... However, I will say, that if you were lucky enough to make it through EMT-B with that attitude, you absolutely will not make it through Paramedic.. You would be eaten alive.

I don't have an attitude. The EMT students at my school don't take it seriously. None of them will probably pass the National Registry...or even qualify to take it because of their poor record in the class. I'm not trying to compare myself to you.

That is all. :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Well, not to be arrogant, but I am going to nationals for an EMT competition...

I couldn't help but wonder...

Does any other healthcare provider have a competition?

I am sorry and not directing at the poster, but this just sounds absolutely stupid.

EMS, not even a trade anymore, simply a game.

OP
OP
F

FutureParamedic12

Forum Probie
It's not a game. It's a competition. There's also plenty of similiar EMT competitions nationwide. It's not supposed to be for fun. It's to further your education and make you a better provider. It's like a, "who can perform their skills the best" competition. I know for CPR I used to make small errors and never knew until HOSA competition when I got 10 points taken off for not performing a head-to-toe assessment immediately after regaining a pulse and respiration (this was last year when I did the CPR/First Aid competition). Since that's the reason I lost and didn't advance to nationals I will never ever make that mistake on a real patient. It's engrained in my brain. Same for EMT. I checked for pulse, movement, but not skin temperature/color after I splinted a fractured femur and it dropped me down to third place even though me and my partner did go above and beyond.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If I'm wrong, I'm sure the more knowledgeable members will correct me, but I'm fairly sure there is no need to check the temperature of a broken extremity before and after splinting, as it won't have changed significantly in that short time, even if you get increased (or decreased) blood flow.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Oh the conflict...

I couldn't decide if I should dignify this with a response or not. But in the effort to engage your mind, here goes.

It's not a game. It's a competition. There's also plenty of similiar EMT competitions nationwide.

So is there a cardiothoracic surgery competition?

You know, to show off who can perform their off pump quad bypass skills on a 65 year old morbidly obese male with a history of uncontrolled HTN, diabetes, systemic atherosclerosis, and previous MI?

Why do you think there is no such competition?

It's not supposed to be for fun. It's to further your education and make you a better provider. It's like a, "who can perform their skills the best" competition.

"The poor creature, it doesn't know any better."

It is the skills mentality that keeps EMS in the toilet. It is why basics beg for jobs and could get better pay and benefits asking me if I want fries with that.

Did your (let me be generous) "instructor" ever bother to tell you in medicine there is not only more than 1 right way to do something but competing thoughts as to what is actually the right thing to do?

I know for CPR I used to make small errors and never knew until HOSA competition when I got 10 points taken off for not performing a head-to-toe assessment immediately after regaining a pulse and respiration (this was last year when I did the CPR/First Aid competition)..

Could I ask you what you were supposed to find in that assessment?

Since that's the reason I lost and didn't advance to nationals I will never ever make that mistake on a real patient.

What good is an assessment if you don't know what you are looking for or at?

It's engrained in my brain. Same for EMT. I checked for pulse, movement, but not skin temperature/color after I splinted a fractured femur and it dropped me down to third place even though me and my partner did go above and beyond.

So how exactly did you put on a splint and not look at or touch the patient's extemity,telekinesis?

Perhaps you simply lost points for not verbalizing your diagnositcs? Not exactly the measure of clinical excellence. Of course if I were to verbalize every finding I were looking for or pertinant negatives on every patient I saw, the exam would not only create panic, it would take an hour.

Above and beyond what? How?