Should I do a no-experience Paramedic program straight out?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm Brown seems to remember one or two things from adrenaline upskilling, like give it a bloody good, hard fifty ml flush coz MAO will start to metabolise it the second it hits the bloodstream :D

This bloke needs to realise he is a twit and should bugger off and grow up

medic417

The Truth Provider
OP, in a word, no. You need time as a basic, working with other basics and medics to learn the fine arts of humility and teamwork.

lol that is the funniest post of the year.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Am I wrong?

I don't advocate experience as a basic before medic school, too much is left to chance.

But an epic fail as a medic student or medic definately can humble people too.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Am I wrong?

Yes. No reason to waste time at the basic level. He can get that experience while completing his Paramedic degree.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
How about it increases heart rate, dilates air passages, and originates in the adrenal medullae.

Ooh, ooh, let me play!

Epinephrine is a sympathomimetic medication that causes increased systemic vascular resistance, automaticity, heart rate, and myocardial oxygen consumption. It is a also a potent bronchodilator. :)

As far as the OP is concerned, please, I'm begging you, do the EMS world a favor and find another profession. There are enough "paragods" in the world, we don't need another one.

Now if EMS is something you actually care about (read: care about the patients), then pick up a different attitude and continue to pass GO and collect $200.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Ooh, ooh, let me play!

Epinephrine is a sympathomimetic medication that causes increased systemic vascular resistance, automaticity, heart rate, and myocardial oxygen consumption. It is a also a potent bronchodilator. :)

As far as the OP is concerned, please, I'm begging you, do the EMS world a favor and find another profession. There are enough "paragods" in the world, we don't need another one.

Now if EMS is something you actually care about (read: care about the patients), then pick up a different attitude and continue to pass GO and collect $200.

1. Why do we call it a Sympathomimetic?

2. The answer to question 1 is a subdivision of which nervous system?

A. Central Nervous System
B. Peripheral Nervous System
C. Autonomic Nervous System.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
1. Why do we call it a Sympathomimetic?

2. The answer to question 1 is a subdivision of which nervous system?

A. Central Nervous System
B. Peripheral Nervous System
C. Autonomic Nervous System.

1. Because it mimics the actions of the sympathetic nervous system

2. C, autonomic nervous system

When you ask me questions that I know the answers to, it makes me feel so much smarter :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Because it mimics the actions of the sympathetic nervous system

2. C, autonomic nervous system

When you ask me questions that I know the answers to, it makes me feel so much smarter :p

Good job. Sounds like your medic program is training you well.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes. No reason to waste time at the basic level. He can get that experience while completing his Paramedic degree.

Well, let me rephrase it. He doresn't need to learn a bunch of monkey EMT skills before medic school, what he needs to learn is HUMILITY and TEAMWORK. He's not going to get that in paramedic school. Right now, he's a 17 year old kid who thinks he knows it all. He needs to do a year of working as the lowest man on the totem pole. He'll get that as a new EMT. Or working at McDonalds. Or Wal-Mart. But he needs to WORK as a team member before running right off to medic school. You see?

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well, let me rephrase it. He doresn't need to learn a bunch of monkey EMT skills before medic school, what he needs to learn is HUMILITY and TEAMWORK. He's not going to get that in paramedic school. Right now, he's a 17 year old kid who thinks he knows it all. He needs to do a year of working as the lowest man on the totem pole. He'll get that as a new EMT. Or working at McDonalds. Or Wal-Mart. But he needs to WORK as a team member before running right off to medic school. You see?

Now I got you. Guess my Texas accent and your Washington one were causing some miscommunication.

DHoEMT-I

Forum Ride Along
Dumbass

You are seriously out of your mind if you think you know more than these EMT-B's in your school.

If that is the case then you should let the DSHS know ASAP that a normal high schooler knows more than an EMT-B. They will fix that REAL fast.

These online paramedic classes are designed for health care providers. REAL providers. Providers who may be already an RN or LVN or EMT-I or whatever. NOT FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS!!!

If you do take an online EMT, EMT Advanced, or Paramedic class you are depriving yourself and most importantly your PATIENTS quality care.

If you REALLY care and REALLy want to make a difference you should take a nationaly recognized course through a REAL hands on school.

DHoEMT-I

Forum Ride Along
No but they do have high school HOSA bowls. witch is meant to engage the high schools health science programs.

Its kind of cute actually haha

nemedic

Forum Captain
Why the hell did this reach 73 posts after the original, and nobody has yet given the right answer? Oh well, thankfully I am able to take over and save all of you egotistical maniacs:

:nosoupfortroll:
:deadhorse:
:nosoupfortroll::p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Why the hell did this reach 73 posts after the original, and nobody has yet given the right answer? Oh well, thankfully I am able to take over and save all of you egotistical maniacs:

:nosoupfortroll:
:deadhorse:
:nosoupfortroll::p

Coming from the guy that quoted himself in his sig, you can see the irony ;P

angrynuni

Forum Probie
I had a very good EMT instructor.

However, as good as any class can be you'll learn more in a week of doing the job then you did during your entire class. There's so much more then textbook knowhow. Plus, if you become a paramedic without ever having the experience of working as an EMT you're going to be clueless about how to run a scene and many other things that all the EMT-B are going to be spot on about.

I think going directly from EMT-B to EMT-P without spending time working the job is a big mistake. Plus, you may not even like the work.

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
The best way to learn? My dad always told me to learn as much as possible in class, do extra research, ask questions, etc. Then go work in your chosen field as the bottom on the totem pole. You will get a feel for the field and if you actually like it or not. Plus you can learn alot even when you're at the bottom. I should know. I'm at the bottom.

And to the 17 year old, not to sound rude, because I'm only 19, but I really think you should try out as a Basic first. Find a paramedic who will be willing to mentor you. I'm fortunate enough to have five awesome paramedics like that who are willing to mentor me and answer questions. Can not imagine doing it without them. Also a mentor should be willing to "smack you upside the head" if you're coming across too cocky and know-it-all, or if you're endangering a pt. And remember no matter how much you think you know, there's ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone who knows more than you do.

I will never stop learning, and I love that!

mspazz

Forum Probie
What I wan't to know is why the OP delivered a dose of epinepherine without being a certified emt or medic? Do you want to get sued? Epi isn't a drug to be used without knowing why you're using it and considering the indications and contraindications.