Should I do a no-experience Paramedic program straight out?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What I wan't to know is why the OP delivered a dose of epinepherine without being a certified emt or medic? Do you want to get sued?
sued for what? he wasn't acting outside his scope of practice, since he doesn't have one. people carry epi pens all the time, they aren't medical providers. my friend's 12 year old brother has one since he is allergic to bees, he can stab himself if need be. mom can do, and she is a secretary. neither are EMTs or medics.

plus, unless I am mistaken, there are NO contraindications for administering an epipen when used in a life threatening emergency (aside from the usual expired/discolored/hypersensativity etc which apply to all medications).

A paramedic student who was never been an EMT will have a harder time than someone who was been an emt prior. performing a basic assessment, taking a blood pressure in a moving ambulance, or dealing with people in various stages of crisis are just some of the few things you will learn as an EMT. you can become a medic without being an EMT, it is possible, but you will have a much higher learning curve. can it be done? sure, but you will be at a disadvantage.

and that is coming form many many paramedic FTOs I have both worked with and am friends with, from at least 2 states.

plus we know that many FDs send their new hires to Zero-to-Hero programs, and we all know how well that tends to turn out

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
I am currently looking at a medic program that take people with no expierience. From what i know is that expierience adds knowledge. I've been and EMT-B for about a year and a half and have seen some interesting calls.

futuremedic i suggest that you get your emt-b first and have a blast.

and in response to the epi pen issue technically he has no certification so the GOOD SAMARITAN ACT should cover him from a lawsuit.

good luck to all who are trying to further their education into the field of paramedicine i hope to be in a medic program shortly