Should I bother applying to hospitals as an ER tech?

ken158

Forum Crew Member
I'm a brand new EMT. I don't have any experience right now.

A hospital is accepting EMTs. Should I bother applying?

TechYourself

NRP, FP-C
I'm a brand new EMT. I don't have any experience right now.

A hospital is accepting EMTs. Should I bother applying?

I've been an ER tech for a little over a year now at a Level II trauma center.

Some thoughts:
Upsides:
1.Depending on the size of your ER, you'll get to see a lot of different patients. Everything you've ever heard of, and some that you couldn't ever imagine. You will do things that would also normally be outside of your scope. You will get your hands (gloves) dirty, you will do CPR, you will work hard.

2. Scrubs are super comfortable.

3. There is always an opportunity to learn something.

Downsides:
1. Most of the skills (not knowledge) that you learned up to getting your license will not be used. You will become a tool to be used by the nursing staff (sometimes that's good, sometimes not so much). I am fortunate enough to be employed by a hospital with some excellent co-workers. I have heard that some places employ their techs to be little more than vital-fetchers (anecdotal only, take it for what it is).

3. You will get your gloves dirty.

2. You will spend 90% of your shift on your feet. While you wont be hiking a patient out of a ditch, or bringing a patient down a flight of stairs, the job is still pretty physical.

If/when you take the job just remember to keep a thick skin. Think before you say something, and listen carefully.
Just like starting any new job.

You will get out of working as a Tech what you put into it.

Apply: there's nothing that says you cant keep applying to ambulance services while you're working as a tech, and the experience wont hurt your future applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
^ agreed. Im not a tech but know enough paramedics that started as techs, and friends that are techs to tell you that it's a GREAT education. You will work hard. To have ed tech on a resume is a really good thing. Always apply, be persistent and enthuastic and you'll catch a break.

ipkes

More than Active
If they are accepting applications apply! Doesn't hurt one bit, worst thing that will happen is getting turned down.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hospital jobs are great if you plan on continuing your education. Most hospitals offer fantastic tuition assistance programs.

TechYourself

NRP, FP-C
Hospital jobs are great if you plan on continuing your education. Most hospitals offer fantastic tuition assistance programs.

^Truth,
Not to mention mine will pay me for, and pay for any CE I attend or any other classes I deem useful to my job (as long as my supervisor agrees).

And yes, if I decide to pursue nursing or a paramedic ticket while I am employed there, they will pay for it as well. (I think it's after I complete the schooling, and get hired for that position if I remember correctly)

Anjel

Forum Angel
I have an interview on Tuesday for an ER tech position.

I think it will be very helpful, especially since I lost my mind and decided to go to nursing school after medic is done.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Nursing is more secured, medics are in a constant struggle to keep employment (well, at least in california)

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an interview on Tuesday for an ER tech position.

I think it will be very helpful, especially since I lost my mind and decided to go to nursing school after medic is done.

I'm thinking about doing this. Local hospital system has an in house nursing school but you have to be a tech while going thru it. Worth doing to have RN paid for.

After 11 years I'm getting burnt on EMS.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Don't they also require 2yrs working in their system?

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm thinking about doing this. Local hospital system has an in house nursing school but you have to be a tech while going thru it. Worth doing to have RN paid for.

After 11 years I'm getting burnt on EMS.

It makes a lot of sense for the long run. I got to do something. I can't afford living $14 an hour forever and try and have a family.

I am going to stay in EMS. And just do nursing on the side or vice a versa.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I was able to get tuition assistance after 90 days of being an employee. I had two options to choose from A) paying for the class myself and getting 100% reimbursement when the class is completed or B) take a loan with 50% forgiven after completing the course an the other 50% after one year of employment. If you quit before that one year I would be required to pay back a certain percentage of that 50% based on how long I did work. So if you quit one mother after you would pay all of it back as opposed to quitting 11 months after only owing a small percentage.

I went with plan B because I did not have a way to pay for it up front. But in ended up getting a total of $9k towards school plus another few hundred worth of CE/CPR classes. I have been an employee for one year and will have to work for a year after I graduate in December. You really can't beat it. I would have been able to go to nursing school without it.

Also there are a ton of scholarship opportunities through the hospital besides their assistance program. I know a few people who payed less than $5k for nursing school ($40k).

Oh and they have even better programs for getting your masters

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

I think afterwards you sign the 2 year stay an employee agreement.

We've lost a few over the last 3 years to them.

And Angel that $14/hr won't go far. I can be a nurse here and easily double my pay and play paramedic on the side. Nursing is alot more flexible schedule wise.

I never thought I'd switch but I think I will be.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yea that's exactly what I have been thinking lately.