Shopping for boots

FriarEMT

Forum Probie
I am currently looking for boots to buy and wanted to ask about the usefulness of some options in EMS.

Is waterproof/GoreTex a good thing to have? Does that stop blood from soaking in besides water? Is that something that tends to happen?

Solid toe? (should I expect my toes to get run over by the stretcher?)

Side zippers useful?

I guess I am leaning more towards the Bates Delta-6 GTX SZ, or 5.11 A.T.A.C. Shield Boot does anybody have any experience with these?

Any other considerations I may be missing?

Anjel

Forum Angel
I will cut you some slack since you are a Michigander.

There are hundreds of boot threads on here for you to look at.

You definitely want waterproof. It will keep all the wet stuff out. I have never had a boot soaked in blood, but if I did I will be glad my foot isn't soaked.

I have composite toe boots. It's up for debate whether it comes in handy or not. I have had my foot run over by the stretcher and it dented the boot, and still hurt like hell. So just watch out where you put your feet.

And lastly, for me, Side zipper is a must. It makes putting them on and taking them off soooooo much easier.

I also recommend 8" instead of 5".

Below are some links to boots that I swear by...

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-...14M/0/Mens/Delta-8-Side-Zip-Boot?dimensions=0

It has a dial under the sole of the boot that you can adjust to your comfort level. It has helped me a lot.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-valsetz-trail-boot/pid1224003-001

Most comfortable boot I have ever worn, but not water proof.

mp5dude

Forum Probie
I've had my 5.11 A.T.A.C's for 2 years almost and they're still working wonderfully. They're very comfortable and I have no complaints with them. I've even gone into the water with them on and it took a little bit for them to get soaked (I was stupid and I didn't zip them up all the way - not that that would have mattered much).

I would definitely recommend a composite/steel toed boot for the added protection against things falling on your feet. You never know when you might need it. I like my side zip because if you want to take your boots off for a while, but then you get a call you can easily slip them back on and go. It's also wonderful if you're also working with bunkers - the time saved from just unzipping the boots as opposed to untying them and having to snake your foot out.

I would highly recommend the 5.11 boots - I wear them almost every day - not only for ambulance shifts, but in the cold weather, working outside, they've even withstood a hit from a chainsaw....

If you're able to spend a little more I've heard that the Haix series boots are not bad as well.
I've had a pair of Magnum responders and they were okay, they didn't have sidezip though - I wont buy another pair of boots without side zip.

Hope that helps a little bit.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
5.11's are good. I prefer Haix as that's all I've worn for years.

Use the search and read our different comments.

I will suggest 8inch, waterproof, safety toe and zipper closure.

Achilles

Forum Moron
5-11 8" anti slip and composite toe with a side zip.
And above all else, I'm from Michigan too :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't like composite or steel toe boots but that's personal opinion. A d cylinder fell on my toe today off the stretcher and I survived. Hurt a bit but I'll take my chances to not have feet that are hotter than the Texas sun.

I feel like it would take talent to run your toe over with the stretcher. Apparently anjel is the most talented of this bunch :p

I'll second the 5.11 ATAC 8" side zips. Had them for a solid year working 6-7 12 hour days a week and they are still going strong and super comfortable.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I feel like it would take talent to run your toe over with the stretcher. Apparently anjel is the most talented of this bunch :p

Ummm....duh. We knew that.

OP
OP
FriarEMT

FriarEMT

Forum Probie
Oooooh, you are right Anjel1030, there are alot of posts here about that. Sorry folks. It is good to know about the waterproof, steeltoe, zipper stuff though.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently looking for boots to buy and wanted to ask about the usefulness of some options in EMS.

Is waterproof/GoreTex a good thing to have? Does that stop blood from soaking in besides water? Is that something that tends to happen?

Solid toe? (should I expect my toes to get run over by the stretcher?)

Side zippers useful?

I guess I am leaning more towards the Bates Delta-6 GTX SZ, or 5.11 A.T.A.C. Shield Boot does anybody have any experience with these?

Any other considerations I may be missing?

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and local policy/regulations.

Waterproofing certainly wouldn't be a bad thing - weather its water, blood, urine, or vomit - I don't want my feet getting wet. Note: Some boots have a specific Blood Born Pathogen resistance rating...you may want to look in this as well if your particularly worried.

As far as the steel/composite toe is concerned, it is a requirement around here. Although you shouldn't expect to have the stretcher dropped/rolled over your foot, working in hectic emergency scene can occasionally result in something hitting/striking your toes. You also may want to consider having a boot with a composite shank running through the bottom). Again, this largely depends on the environment (for instance, if you were an industrial medic responding to calls on construction sites, etc. where there may be nails on the ground).

Side zippers are a must, in my view. It makes putting the boots on a lot easier, especially if you're in bed and waking up for a late-night run.

Cheers,

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I have had a pair of the 5.11's discussed in this thread for 2 years and love them. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. That said, I am also looking for new boots and might try out the HAIX Airpower R1's.

DPM

Forum Captain
Are side zips really that essential? I've never personally used them, but then I've never had much difficulty getting my boots on...

I've had a pair of these since I was in the army:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military_SneekerOr.jsp

A word of warning for goretex boots, they can get VERY hot. If you just take care of your normal leather boots (ie you polish them!) then you wont get wet. And once goretex boots get wet it takes an absolute age for them to dry out.

my $0.02, shop around, take some advice from this thread, try on lots of boots and just get some that are comfortable.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Are side zips really that essential? I've never personally used them, but then I've never had much difficulty getting my boots on...

I've had a pair of these since I was in the army:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military_SneekerOr.jsp

A word of warning for goretex boots, they can get VERY hot. If you just take care of your normal leather boots (ie you polish them!) then you wont get wet. And once goretex boots get wet it takes an absolute age for them to dry out.

my $0.02, shop around, take some advice from this thread, try on lots of boots and just get some that are comfortable.

Side or front Zip-up boots are almost necessary. I love them its quick and easy.

As for the HAIX, I have never herd anyone not like them. That said, HAIX or Blue Tongue slip on from red back are my next choice.

Right now I've had the All American aka firefighter 1 and those have been great for 2 yrs.

BS1981

Forum Ride Along
I've worn everything from round toe chippewas to whites and warrington pro boots with a few others in the mix, including redback slip ons. I never thought I'd wear a side zip, but I ended up trying the 5.11 atac side zip with composite toe. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn hands down. I wouldn't say its the best built boot, but they have lasted me close to 2 years, which I've abused them. I can honestly say, I have back issues wearing all of the others, but once I switched to these 5.11, a lot of my discomfort went away. I wear them now all day on duty, til 11 at night since they're so light weight. And they're decently priced.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Wore 5.11 for years but was rather dissatisfied with how fast the footbed deteriorated. I've had a pair of Warrington 3003s for about two years now, they're godawfully expensive but at the end if a 36 my feet don't hurt, so I don't see buying anything else from now on.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm a red wings girl myself. They have a standard black boot they sell to firefighters and medics. Comes with the zipper, can be resoled up to three times.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
The Haix Airpower R2 appear to be the apex of all EMS boots.

Having just purchased a pair of these a few days ago myself, I have to say that they certainly are comfortable. My feet feel great after wearing these for a few hours; however, I do notice that they are a bit warmer than my last pair of boots (although not to the point where it becomes an issue/is uncomfortable). Overall, I'm extremely satisfied thus far.

OP
OP
FriarEMT

FriarEMT

Forum Probie
Having just purchased a pair of these a few days ago myself, I have to say that they certainly are comfortable. My feet feel great after wearing these for a few hours; however, I do notice that they are a bit warmer than my last pair of boots (although not to the point where it becomes an issue/is uncomfortable). Overall, I'm extremely satisfied thus far.

I ended up getting the Haix R2's and I like them. They were uncomfortable at first (like walking on a cement floor barefoot) but after sticking it out for a few days they became more and more comfortable. After two weeks they are super comfortable to walk in. The thing is they do warm up the feet and the uppers are a little thick. I was expecting a combat boot fit. But overall I am very happy with them. The zippered front is great and the zipper is actually made of metal (not plastic).