"Sho Yano, Uiversity of Chicago Student, To Become Youngest M.D. in History"

JPINFV

Gadfly
It is 100% age discrimination. He graduated from medical school. He is a doctor. If the only reason you won't let him treat you is because of his age, it is age discrimination. If the only reason you don't trust him is because of his age, it is age discrimination.

Counterpoint: There's age discrimination enshrined in the US constitution.

Tolstoy

Forum Probie
It is 100% age discrimination. He graduated from medical school. He is a doctor. If the only reason you won't let him treat you is because of his age, it is age discrimination. If the only reason you don't trust him is because of his age, it is age discrimination.

Had a longer reply typed up and it did not go through. So. I agree, if the only reason you don't let him treat you is based on a number, then yes it's discrimination, however; if you don't let him treat you because you personally do not feel he is an experienced and competent physician and AGE just happens to be part of that reason, then that's your choice and one should not be said to be discriminating based on that.

Personally, I would let him treat me if I felt he was competent, he could be 18 for all I care. I've known physicians right out of medical school that were extremely competent, as well as physicians who practiced for 30 years that I wouldn't trust to put a Bandaid on a cut. Only time will tell how he does and who he becomes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
if you don't let him treat you because you personally do not feel he is an experienced and competent physician and AGE just happens to be part of that reason, then that's your choice and one should not be said to be discriminating based on that.

If someone would let one of his classmates treat them, but not him then it is still discrimination, even if they say "I don't feel he is experienced and competent."

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief

Fortunately for me, discriminating due to his specific age (his 20's) isn't illegal. Phew!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Fortunately for me, discriminating due to his specific age (his 20's) isn't illegal. Phew!

What if my 22 year old self showed up as the medic on the truck when you called 911?

Gonna discriminate against me too?

I'm no doctor but it's the same concept.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
What if my 22 year old self showed up as the medic on the truck when you called 911?

Gonna discriminate against me too?

I'm no doctor but it's the same concept.
22 seems like an appropriate age for a medic. They're not going to be guiding you through long-term non-emergency non-algorithm type situations, advising you on all kinds of situations including emotional health etc etc.

Jesusfreak01, that makes sense...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
22 seems like an appropriate age for a medic. They're not going to be guiding you through long-term non-emergency non-algorithm type situations, advising you on all kinds of situations including emotional health etc etc.

Jesusfreak01, that makes sense...

The only time I have looked at an algorithm in the last 5 years outside of ACLS refreshers is when they changed the destination protocols for CVAs and MIs. Frankly, your post is incredibly insulting.

slopez86

Forum Ride Along
I think it's outstanding that his mind is clearly advanced, he can grasp all the concepts associated with medical school, and was allowed to succeed through the medical program. A trouble through-out his career may be empathizing with children (since he doesn't appear to have had a normal childhood)... sort of like an Asian doctor version of '****ie Roberts: Former Child Superstar'. :D

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The only time I have looked at an algorithm in the last 5 years outside of ACLS refreshers is when they changed the destination protocols for CVAs and MIs. Frankly, your post is incredibly insulting.
The phrase "long-term non-emergency non-algorithm type situations" was meant to be read all as one. Definitely wasn't implying paramedics are algorithm dependent. Rather, that while life experience is preferred, it's not as crucial in day to day work, as it might be with say a family physician.