"Sho Yano, Uiversity of Chicago Student, To Become Youngest M.D. in History"

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/03/sho-yano-university-of-chicago-md_n_1566618.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D166584

What are your thoughts on this? I have to admit that upon first read, I was adamantly opposed to the University of Chicago's decision. After further reflection, I'm still wary, but a bit less so.

We have Paramedics and R.N.s at his age, and in some cases even younger, who are excellent providers. I was somewhat autonomously caring for patients in the back of an ambulance at 21. Obviously, the scope, training, education, and knowledge base, and even the expected roles in society at large, of an M.D. and a pre-hospital provider or R.N. are vastly different...but, if he can do the job, should age matter? Can he even do the job at his age? Perhaps age has nothing to do with being a competent provider...with that said, being 2 years his senior, I can tell you I won't be in any hurry to be making an appointment with Dr. Yano anytime soon.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/03/sho-yano-university-of-chicago-md_n_1566618.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D166584

What are your thoughts on this? I have to admit that upon first read, I was adamantly opposed to the University of Chicago's decision. After further reflection, I'm still wary, but a bit less so.

We have Paramedics and R.N.s at his age, and in some cases even younger, who are excellent providers. I was somewhat autonomously caring for patients in the back of an ambulance at 21. Obviously, the scope, training, education, and knowledge base, and even the expected roles in society at large, of an M.D. and a pre-hospital provider or R.N. are vastly different...but, if he can do the job, should age matter? Can he even do the job at his age? Perhaps age has nothing to do with being a competent provider...with that said, being 2 years his senior, I can tell you I won't be in any hurry to be making an appointment with Dr. Yano anytime soon.
Unless your under 18 with a neurological problem, you need not worry about making an appointment with him.

You really wouldn't want a genius treating you?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Age is just a number.

Mentally, he is nowhere near the age of 21. That's why he is a genius...

He went for the same amount of schooling as anyone and has equal experience.

In his 21 years he has done ad achieved more than most will in a lifetime.

It really would be tragic if I had my child treated by a doctor who is capable of thought processes most of us cannot even fathom.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Regardless of intelligence, I doubt I'd take my close family member to a physician that young.

Still, it sounds like underutilization of a brilliant mind, in some sense.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Why? He went through med school the same as everyone else. Why does his age matter?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Until we can find an accurate and quick gauge of maturity, age will remain a deciding factor in our trust for people. I'd have no issue in seeing him if he had the same judgement shown by his older colleagues, which I imagine he does. However I don't think some people are willing to even give him a chance.

Aidey

I think being able to pass all of his classes and graduate is a pretty good indicator of maturity. This is someone who has been very closely supervised by professionals for a long time. It he wasn't mature enough to handle it, he would have never made it this far.

I think some of the problem comes from the bias that Americans have towards "overachievers" and people that are exceptionally smart. It is pretty much taboo to identify as having above average intelligence because you will be attacked for being and elitist and thinking you are better than everyone else.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think being able to pass all of his classes and graduate is a pretty good indicator of maturity. This is someone who has been very closely supervised by professionals for a long time. It he wasn't mature enough to handle it, he would have never made it this far.

I think some of the problem comes from the bias that Americans have towards "overachievers" and people that are exceptionally smart. It is pretty much taboo to identify as having above average intelligence because you will be attacked for being and elitist and thinking you are better than everyone else.

Agreed, I'm just thinking of all the times I've been asked "are you sure you're old enough to be back in the ambulance with me?" which I take as a synonym for "you do not look appear mature enough to do this job because you are clearly young." Those people are misguided of course, but I still struggle to make them "trust" me. I suppose working in pediatrics his patients and the patient's families will be younger, which is likely to his favor.

Aidey

Agreed, I'm just thinking of all the times I've been asked "are you sure you're old enough to be back in the ambulance with me?" which I take as a synonym for "you do not look appear mature enough to do this job because you are clearly young." Those people are misguided of course, but I still struggle to make them "trust" me. I suppose working in pediatrics his patients and the patient's families will be younger, which is likely to his favor.

The problem with that is that many people do not look their age. My last partner was 8 years older than me, and everyone thought he was about 6 years younger.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Yes, it is rather a problem...

But I don't see the problem. This is a person who can only get better and by the time he is 40, will have seen more patients and have more knowledge and experience than any of his peers.

You cannot see your second patient untill you have seen your first, and he is probably better than many doctors just coming out of medical school.

Unless of course we are to accept that standardized testing is a major failure and anyone can do it...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Age is a our best proxy for maturity, far as I can tell.

Classes are one thing – the real world (and real patients) are another. (Not to say he hasn't done a ton of rotations.)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
he has spent 9 years in medical school, and will be graduating with an MD and PhD. and I would imagine that included patient contacts.

Stop discriminating against him because of his age; he completed the same course work as older people.

He's 21 years old. regular med school graduates are 25 or 26 when they are on the regular track (18 for HS, 22 for Bachelors, then 3 or 4 years for medical school). So he isn't that much younger.

your personal biases against young people are your own problems, just like any biases against a particular gender, race, or demographic.

I would have no problems going to him with me or my family. I'm going to judge him just like I would judge any doctor, but that's because he's a new doctor, it has nothing to do with his age.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
he has spent 9 years in medical school, and will be graduating with an MD and PhD. and I would imagine that included patient contacts.

Stop discriminating against him because of his age; he completed the same course work as older people.

He's 21 years old. regular med school graduates are 25 or 26 when they are on the regular track (18 for HS, 22 for Bachelors, then 3 or 4 years for medical school). So he isn't that much younger.

your personal biases against young people are your own problems, just like any biases against a particular gender, race, or demographic.

I would have no problems going to him with me or my family. I'm going to judge him just like I would judge any doctor, but that's because he's a new doctor, it has nothing to do with his age.

No one here is discriminating him based on age. Some have, and I think rightfully so, mentioned that our society has some age bias with it, and this has only been further exacerbated by the baby boomer generation aging. It seems reasonable that if someone thinks a 35 year old doctor is "too young" than they might also think that of a 21 year old, no?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not only is he 21, but he still has his intern year before he is fully licensed as a physician. Even still, he's got another 2 years (I think pediatrics is a 3 year residency, including intern year), and after that he still has his fellowship, and I'm not sure how long peds neuro is.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not only is he 21, but he still has his intern year before he is fully licensed as a physician. Even still, he's got another 2 years (I think pediatrics is a 3 year residency, including intern year), and after that he still has his fellowship, and I'm not sure how long peds neuro is.

Valid point.

So, he's something like 24 by the time he's on his own – and even then, he's in a fellowship (I'd wager a fairly lengthy one, no)?

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Why? He went through med school the same as everyone else. Why does his age matter?
Very true he passed med school age is just a number.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
He finished college at 12 and it just finishing medical school at 21?
Even with getting a PhD, what was he doing the rest of the time?

Age is just a number.

Mentally, he is nowhere near the age of 21. That's why he is a genius...

He went for the same amount of schooling as anyone and has equal experience.

In his 21 years he has done ad achieved more than most will in a lifetime.

It really would be tragic if I had my child treated by a doctor who is capable of thought processes most of us cannot even fathom.
Wait, why would that be tragic? Wouldn't that be a good thing? To have a really smart doctor?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
He finished college at 12 and it just finishing medical school at 21?
Even with getting a PhD, what was he doing the rest of the time?

Wait, why would that be tragic? Wouldn't that be a good thing? To have a really smart doctor?

He was being sarcastic;)

Tolstoy

Forum Probie
I agree with age being a determining factor of maturity. While it definitely varies, I'm sure we've all known some younger people who are more mature than some older folks (that can be applied to any situation, not just age = maturity), but in general, age determines maturity. Not letting him treat you based on his age isn't age discrimination, rather, it's more of a trust issue in my opinion.

Aidey

It is 100% age discrimination. He graduated from medical school. He is a doctor. If the only reason you won't let him treat you is because of his age, it is age discrimination. If the only reason you don't trust him is because of his age, it is age discrimination.