shake and bake courses

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
And those who are serious about getting an education or advancing their career will seek out these programs rather than whining or using every excuse they can find as to why they can't take a college class or two towards a degree or just improving their knowlege base.

You still haven't answered my question - the OP has stated that they want to get their medic cert, but are unable to go to school FT, as they need the FT job to support themselves, with an employer that has a rotating schedule and is inflexible. Quitting isn't an option. So, what are your suggestions as to how this person is supposed to get their degree in EMS?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You still haven't answered my question - the OP has stated that they want to get their medic cert, but are unable to go to school FT, as they need the FT job to support themselves, with an employer that has a rotating schedule and is inflexible. Quitting isn't an option. So, what are your suggestions as to how this person is supposed to get their degree in EMS?
Wait...you actually expected an answer? Heh...that's funny. ;)

If his department allows them (and I'd be shocked if they don't), trades with people from other shifts. We've had many people here complete the paramedic course (including the classes besides the actual paramedic class) and other degrees while working here by using trades for the days they were in class. As long as the department supports people doing it, it shouldn't be an issue.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Many of us here had to make choices and adjustments in our lives to get what we wanted. I had a FT and a PT job when I was going to Paramedic school. I also worked FT at the FD and had a family while I was finishing my other degrees. I was not unique either. There many people doing the same things I was and making sacrifices to get what they wanted. There are those who get things done and there are those who whine while opportunites pass them by. If you really want something bad enough you will find a way.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Many of us here had to make choices and adjustments in our lives to get what we wanted. I had a FT and a PT job when I was going to Paramedic school. I also worked FT at the FD and had a family while I was finishing my other degrees. I was not unique either. There many people doing the same things I was and making sacrifices to get what they wanted. There are those who get things done and there are those who whine while opportunites pass them by. If you really want something bad enough you will find a way.

You still haven't answered my question. The OP cannot quit their job. It isn't an option. "If you really want something bad enough you will find a way" isn't a plan, it's a nonsense token cliche.

So, how do you suggest that this person complete a degree in EMS? Let us know your plan, otherwise we'll have to concede that a tech program is the only viable option in this situation.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
He has gotten his answer many times on different forums as well as this one from myself and many others.

Do I have to explain how to get an education to you also again?
Sure...why not. I don't frequent many forums, so I suppose you had better.

What I've got so far is that it takes hard work (I concur), sacrifice (yep), and time and effort (can't disagree). What I haven't heard from you is how you work a full-time job around a full-time class schedule. I do believe that's what 46young has asked to be answered, and so far...no responce on that from you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Wait...you actually expected an answer? Heh...that's funny. ;)

If his department allows them (and I'd be shocked if they don't), trades with people from other shifts. We've had many people here complete the paramedic course (including the classes besides the actual paramedic class) and other degrees while working here by using trades for the days they were in class. As long as the department supports people doing it, it shouldn't be an issue.

The OP works for a small dept. There probably aren't as many opportunities for shift trades, admin day work and the like. Admin may also feel threatened by more educated employees and seek to thwart their educational aspirations.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
The OP works for a small dept. There probably aren't as many opportunities for shift trades, admin day work and the like. Admin may also feel threatened by more educated employees and seek to thwart their educational aspirations.
That's possible, but that would be something he'd have to determine. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that since they are a transporting ALS department the admin wouldn't have to much a problem with him completing the paramedic course since it would benefit the department. But who knows...it would cost them more since his pay would (probably, I don't really know) go up so maybe they wouldn't like it. Regardless, it's something for him to look into. Even in smaller departments it can be easy to trade/shift swap for that type of thing; you will really only need a few hours 1 or 2 days a week, so as long as you can find 1 person willing to help out (damn near always possible) it's doable.

Edit: just reread the first post, and his admin encourages it so...worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Then he'll have to choose whether he wants to continue working for a department that feels threatened by education or move on to more opportunities.

You really make this education thing seem like it is the absolutely most difficult thing on earth to do.

Life is about choices. You have chosen not to advance your education and would rather depend on the union to make all your decisions. Others still have opportunities available to them and are free to make their own choices. If that means relocating and/or changing employers to get to your goal, then that may have to be the choice to be made.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Sure...why not. I don't frequent many forums, so I suppose you had better.

What I've got so far is that it takes hard work (I concur), sacrifice (yep), and time and effort (can't disagree). What I haven't heard from you is how you work a full-time job around a full-time class schedule. I do believe that's what 46young has asked to be answered, and so far...no responce on that from you.

I worked for the FD during most of my college education. A couple of shift trades a month and there was plenty of time. When I went to 12 hours on Flight it was even easier to hold down FT job (3 - 12/wk) and take a full class load while still having time left over for the family.

Again, my life has already been discussed by 46young and you many times. What part of going to college and working do you not understand?

How many times to I and many other forum members have to explain this to you and 46young?

You can also ask JP who has taken an even more impressive course load.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Then he'll have to choose whether he wants to continue working for a department that feels threatened by education or move on to more opportunities.

You really make this education thing seem like it is the absolutely most difficult thing on earth to do.

Life is about choices. You have chosen not to advance your education and would rather depend on the union to make all your decisions. Others still have opportunities available to them and are free to make their own choices. If that means relocating and/or changing employers to get to your goal, then that may have to be the choice to be made.

Or you can go to a tech school and still keep your job. The OP said that they can't quit. What part of that isn't clear?

So, by avoiding my question, I'll have to assume that there's no possible way for the OP to stay employed and complete a degree. Thank you. 3 12's would be doable, but not in this situation, with a rotating schedule.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well there you go. And in fact that's exactly what I suggested above...weird huh? :lol:

Now that there has been an actual answer instead of cliches and rhetoric the problem would seem to have been resolved.

And if you had ever read any of my other posts about getting an education, I wouldn't have to keep repeating this. Rid has also given the same answer for when he was getting his degree and so has AJ. We have all shared our education experiences on the forums.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Or you can go to a tech school and still keep your job. The OP said that they can't quit. What part of that isn't clear?

So, by avoiding my question, I'll have to assume that there's no possible way for the OP to stay employed and complete a degree. Thank you. 3 12's would be doable, but not in this situation, with a rotating schedule.

Where have I avoided your questions either here or on EMTcity?

The FD (24/48) was more than supportive of education. You are the one who seems to think they will never allow you to go to school.

A tech school is worthless to those who want to attend a university and maybe even teach someday. Why waste time? It may be okay for those who just want a job and have no ambition for a career.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If the OP was able to have non rotating set days, time for school would be a non issue. If shift swaps and/or admin leave was adequate, time for school would be a non issue. Neither of these scenarios apply to the OP.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Where have I avoided your questions either here or on EMTcity?

The FD (24/48) was more than supportive of education. You are the one who seems to think they will never allow you to go to school.

A tech school is worthless to those who want to attend a university and maybe even teach someday. Why waste time? It may be okay for those who just want a job and have no ambition for a career.

I don't have that problem. There's day work options, and a large dept of 1400 or so personnel with which to do trades with. It helps that my dept is pro education. Not everyone enjoys the same situation.

The OP wants their medic cert to be a firemedic. A tech cert will make that a reality. I'm asking how this person, in this particular situation, is supposed to do it the "right way" by getting a degree instead. I'm asking for a real workable solution, not things like quitting your job and such.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Sweety...why are you arguing with me? I already know how it can be done. In fact, we suggested the same thing. So...why are you arguing with me again? And to be honest, I don't ever remembering you suggest any way to actually go about completing a degree while working full-time, especially with a standard 24/48 schedule (or variant of it). I could be wrong, but who knows. Don't remember anyone else doing it either recently, or even quite some time ago. Look...when someone asks a question, it's usually nice to give them an actual answer and not cliches/rhetoric. It might...I don't know...actually help them with their problem.

But, you did that in the end, so no harm no foul.

You do not know of any FF that has an education?

You have never read anything from either myself or Rid about working FT while going to college?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The OP wants their medic cert to be a firemedic. A tech cert will make that a reality

Of course a tech cert is good enough for the FD....

Why do you think they are in the spotlight so much and being criticized? Every FF should have a Paramedic cert from a tech mill.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You do not know of any FF that has an education?

You have never read anything from either myself or Rid about working FT while going to college?
Do you even know what you are argueing anymore?
"Don't remember anyone else doing it either recently, or even quite some time ago." Just to be clear (god I hope that was what you misunderstood) I meant explaining how to work a full-time rotating schedule and go to school full time.

And no, I really don't remembe reading anything from you or Rid or anyone else about how to do the above before today. As I said, I could be wrong, but I really don't remember any real answers, just cliches and rhetoric like you put forth here before finally giving a real answer.

This thread isn't going to end well. Hopefully the OP got a couple idea's of what to do.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Do you even know what you are argueing anymore?
"Don't remember anyone else doing it either recently, or even quite some time ago." Just to be clear (god I hope that was what you misunderstood) I meant explaining how to work a full-time rotating schedule and go to school full time.

And no, I really don't remembe reading anything from you or Rid or anyone else about how to do the above before today. As I said, I could be wrong, but I really don't remember any real answers, just cliches and rhetoric like you put forth here before finally giving a real answer.

This thread isn't going to end well. Hopefully the OP got a couple idea's of what to do.

Was that a reply to your post? NO!

It was a reply to 46young's.

Try to keep up.

Why don't you go back and read all 10,000 posts which Rid and I have done?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Was that a reply to your post? NO!

It was a reply to 46young's.

Try to keep up.

Why don't you go back and read all 10,000 posts which Rid and I have done?
But...then why would you quote ME if you were repying to someone ELSE?