sffd emt written test

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
@medic707

Shirtz has good info. There are three ways to move over to suppression.

1. Based on seniority move over as an H3 medic. Could take awhile, but as a whole the department is pretty up there in age. A lot of turnover in the near future. The suppression side is even short medics more than the EMS side and for now it looks like most medics are coming from EMS.

2. Score really high on the H2 test. They make a little less than H3 fire medics though. Even if they pick up shifts as an H2/P.

3. Make the chief really like you. Chief has rule of the list.

Next H3L1(EMT) tower is rumored to be in Feb. Next H2 tower is next August. Per fire commissioners meeting notes they want to have an H3L3 exclusive tower mid next year. That would mean we'd lose another 10-20 medics from station 49(ems station). Plus whatever guys go over in the August h2 tower. In other words, it's a good time to get on this EMT list.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Do the suppression guys respond to every medical call like the departments sown here in LA? Or only certain calls?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Do the suppression guys respond to every medical call like the departments sown here in LA? Or only certain calls?

Like Shirtz said, SFFDs solution to any problem is to throw as many bodies at the call as possible.

So most calls get at minimum an engine. At any given time only about half our stations are ALS, so if it's in a BLS district you get two engines responding. It's overkill for sure, but that's just how it is.

For a shooting or stabbing we roll an engine, truck, battalion chief, rescue captain, and a medic.

You should see our fire responses.

jim99

Forum Ride Along
Anyone have any info on the per diem (H-8) position? I applied for it but don't know a lot about it.
Thanks!

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone have any info on the per diem (H-8) position? I applied for it but don't know a lot about it.
Thanks!
Brand new position that was formed out of political pressure. Nobody is sure about how the position will flesh out in reality. Will be a potential sore spot with the Union but allows the City to fill positions as needed to meet levels required to maintain the 911 contract.

Bottom line, could go either way for those who get the job, if they ever fill the spots.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks!

Nobody knows what they are going to do with the H8ers or if it is going to be implemented. The general consensus is that no one is happy with the city's decision to hire part timers. It sets bad precedent. (E.g. per diem cops? Per diem suppression personnel?)

The only thing really known for sure is that hours are not guaranteed and full timers get a shot at OT before a per diem gets hired for the day. Sworn personnel can also bump an H8 off their shift when deciding to pick up OT at the last second.

Not much else is known but I can tell you the field rumours.

1. It is a non sworn position meaning you're not a part of the union or a badged member of the department.

2. H8s won't be allowed to respond to fires since they won't have benefits or Scott pack training.

3. No guarantee of a full time position ever. If the department treats them like every other position you'll have to open test for the full time h3 spot with everyone else.

4. Abbreviated 2 week training academy to get acclimated to the system. Normally new hires get a few months.

Basically you sort of work for the department but you're not officially in. With that said, if any of us were working for some private company somewhere and wanted some kind of in with SFFD we'd probably apply for the H8 position.

It could go either way if they actually get implemented. You could very well also end up being stuck per diem for years.

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
is this the only hiring session they have coming up? In dec?

I'm schedule for the test but I also have my school final that day :/

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
is this the only hiring session they have coming up? In dec?

I'm schedule for the test but I also have my school final that day :/

"Approximately 1,000 candidates are being invited to take the written test. Due to the large number of candidates, we are only able to accommodate rescheduling requests under extenuating circumstances. Requests to reschedule due to conflicts with work or school will not be granted. Please send your request to DHR-PublicSafety@sfgov.org for consideration."

FYI, this was in the email you received.

Last edited:

Angel

Paramedic
parking SUUUCKED
i just wanted to say to some who understand....why come to this test in shorts? especially if its raining? way to make a bad first impression

OP
OP
C

CBRMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
parking SUUUCKED
i just wanted to say to some who understand....why come to this test in shorts? especially if its raining? way to make a bad first impression

hahaha that wasnt me, but i believe it not anyone from the fd there, it just people who just work for the city that hands out the test