sffd emt written test

Angel

Paramedic
haha I didnt take you for the shorts type!
yea, i keep it business casual for stuff like that. Never know who's watching. I remember one test I went to girls were in booty shorts!

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
On the contrary, I am always wearing shorts and flip flops... Even in the rain.

My philosophy is that if I'm not at work, I don't want to wear pants or shoes.

At tests, like you, I'd rather blend in.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Interesting. I just tested for a paramedic position, at a county agency. I wore shirt, tie and a jacket. I was the best dressed person there. One guy wore khakis and a shirt and tie, another guy was in shorts and a polo shirt, a girl was in a "whacker style T-shirt". I was amazed.

Of course, an unscheduled interview followed the test. Not dressing for the job you want is a mistake.

And I don't know if it was the case at the SSFD test, but I know for a fact that battalion chiefs and members of the oral boards will often hang out in civilian clothes at the testing site to see what the candidates look like and how they present themselves.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hire the booty shorts!

Jk. Probably none of our BCs there.

Start running if you haven't already. The academy isn't that tough but you will log about 5 miles a day. Don't have to be the best just don't be the worst.

That and the department physician is kind of a stickler.

Angel

Paramedic
Define stickler... I have never ran 5 miles in my life...and sadly I look like it

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Define stickler... I have never ran 5 miles in my life...and sadly I look like it

Weight proportionate to height or body fat percentage less than 25% for males. Not sure about females, should be higher though.

Normal vitals, no drugs in system. Immunizations up to date.

They check everything.

The doc just doesn't let anything slip. I had to take three separate trips. Two for urine. I had excessive ketones because I was doing a low carb diet and another to renew my mmr because apparently that wears off after 20 years. They stagger academy letters and it was kind of a rush to get everything done in time.

The doc seems to fail people for minor things.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
The PAT makes sense. You very often may need to climb multiple flights of stairs to reach your pt living in an SRO.

oceanminded28

Forum Ride Along
@medic707

Shirtz has good info. There are three ways to move over to suppression.

1. Based on seniority move over as an H3 medic. Could take awhile, but as a whole the department is pretty up there in age. A lot of turnover in the near future. The suppression side is even short medics more than the EMS side and for now it looks like most medics are coming from EMS.

2. Score really high on the H2 test. They make a little less than H3 fire medics though. Even if they pick up shifts as an H2/P.

3. Make the chief really like you. Chief has rule of the list.

Next H3L1(EMT) tower is rumored to be in Feb. Next H2 tower is next August. Per fire commissioners meeting notes they want to have an H3L3 exclusive tower mid next year. That would mean we'd lose another 10-20 medics from station 49(ems station). Plus whatever guys go over in the August h2 tower. In other words, it's a good time to get on this EMT list.

I was wondering if you know what the academy for ems is like? I am turning my packet in to the chief this coming week for January academy I guess and just got notice today. Gonna be a time crunch but hoped you could offer insight and/or tips?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering if you know what the academy for ems is like? I am turning my packet in to the chief this coming week for January academy I guess and just got notice today. Gonna be a time crunch but hoped you could offer insight and/or tips?

PM me and I can try to put you in touch with some people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm not familiar with this platform as I've come on it quite honestly just for this, and I can't find a way to pm lol

You need to have 5 substantive posts. Introduce yourself in the intro forum and take part in some discussion.