Carlie1121

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently looking at schools to get certified for EMT basic. What are things I should look for in a school? Should I go through a Community College, FD, or an Academy type class? How long did it take after you completed your certification before you secured employment? Is there anything you feel made a significant difference in your education?

Thank you for your time! Please help me make an informed decision.
- Carlie

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Where you go to EMT school is fairly unimportant. Go wherever gets it done quickest, or wherever is cheapest, or wherever is the most convenient schedule or commute. That's what's going to make a difference.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Where you go to EMT school is fairly unimportant. Go wherever gets it done quickest, or wherever is cheapest, or wherever is the most convenient schedule or commute. That's what's going to make a difference.

This. You can get a good education pretty much anywhere. It's what fits and it's what you make of it. How much you study, how much you make yourself learn beyond what is being taught. Asking questions......you get my drift.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I did a community college daytime-class program because it fit with my schedule. That community college also offered the exact same class as an evening class. (We were even allowed to attend the other class if we had to miss the class we were supposed to be in. Couldn't make it to your day class? Show up that evening to the night class, the instructor was totally fine with that.) It was just what worked with my schedule.

There are several hospital-based programs too, they usually met on the weekends. That didn't work for me, but would work great for someone with a M-F 9-5 job.

Find a program that works with your schedule. The curriculum will be pretty much the same, as it is made to get you to pass whatever test(s)/skills sessions you have to pass in order to be certified to work in your state. In Indiana, we didn't talk at all about passing the NREMT, because we have our own state written. I did take NREMT, in addition to my state test, just as a "resume builder" but isn't necessary in the state of Indiana. In many states you DO have to pass NREMT to work. You class will prepare you to pass your state's requirements.