Scary Firsts

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 6 2005, 01:01 AM
didn't they do that in "Man On Fire" with Denzel?
Don't know - Haven't seen it yet - in my NetFlix queue.

Jon

domesticgodemt

Forum Probie
Man On Fire. Denzel and Gratuitous Violence. You Gotta Love the combo. My wife thought it was a chick flick. hahaha

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 6 2005, 05:16 PM
What kind of chick flicks does she watch??? If you two ever split, can I have her???
you would DUMP ME :( :(

Jon

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
40's,

In Maryland you can be an EMT at 16. I am not sure when that went into effect, but I had my EMT at 16, and at that time a guy from the city and I were the youngest in the state. (I took the class at the FD because I got bored in my high school nursing class).

I joined a fire co, because the local rescue squad wouldn't take anyone under 18. I got lucky because all I did for the first two years was run MVA's, Arrests, and Rescues. As the 2nd female ever in the department, it was always an uphill climb. As if the calls were not enough - the firefighters wives, and the local women said "the only reason she's in the Fire Co. is to get a date". That was the attitude back then. It was unheard of to ever think of becoming a line officer. In my senior year of High School I tried out for cheerleading. I didn't make it - because the coach said "its not lady like to be a firefighter and you don't quite have the look".

In the 20 years since then I have seen a lot, done a lot, and helped quite a few people along the way. Every once in a while I think about that statement. Its funny I have never had a patient turn me away for not having "The Look", whatever that may be.

Now for your calls - you are doing Fine. Run your calls, learn as much as you can, and always try to work with good people who like what they do. Good preceptors remember what it is like to be new. We all had to start somewhere. Good luck and write whenever you need to.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I never liked cheerleaders...you should be proud if you don't look like an anorexic airhead! :D

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
I know for most - well all - of my firsts (first major trauma, first death, ect.) I always felt like I was in this surreal enviroment and everything always seems to move so slow. You know like in the movies...slow talking, slow movements...like the whole world is put on frame by frame.

Luckily the crew I was on would train for different scenerios all the time. We would be driving in the Engine and our Capt. would pull over and say, okay we just arrived on scene, You (pointing at whoever he had already prepped) go be the patient, the rest of you heres your dispatch info. It really helped me to be able to fall back on training for all the firsts.

My first dead guy though...Whew. I thought I was alright, up until as the other FF and I who rode with the med unit were walking out of the hospital, they guys wife stepped out of the "quiet room" and hugged me. She said "Thank you. He must be ok if your leaving, right?" Thank God for my partner, who always knew what to say in every circumstance that could be tossed at us.

Now, when I come up on things, I just make a conscious effort not to let my face show what my mind is thinking.

Tell me, tell me..... what did your partner say? How do you answer a question like that!?! :wacko:

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
My first code went alright, I didn't feel anything on scene, I was too occupied with treatment, and observing the hectic responses of others. The one thing that bothered me was the open eyes, since it felt like he was watching me. At the hospital, when pt was pronounced, I stared at the patient for about 30 seconds before leaving, more out of disbelief than anything. The call didn't really bother me, though I saw his eyes staring at me in my mind a few times before it stopped. I was still hungry after that call though :p I always seem to get hungry after codes. Anyone else weird like that?
My first code 5 (obviously dead) was in rigor mortis, with lividity and pooling, which felt weird to see at first, and I kept hallucinating that he was moving for some reason. Didn't bother me much though afterwards.

It's perfectly normal to get a call that bothers you, we're only human. If it does bother you, seek appropriate help, you're not being a 'baby' by doing so.