Scared AF to take NREMT-P

Eagle

Forum Ride Along
I test in a couple days and I’m worried as hell about this test just because I’ve never in my life ever been a good test taker with anything. I’ve taken probably close to 8,000 practice questions within the last month off medic tests, pocket prep, and anything else I was able to answer. 2500 this week, along with listening to audio text books, reading when I can, etc. but I don’t feel like I’ve been doing enough. I’ve been hearing this paramedic test is no joke. Should I continue to hammer out practice tests and things up until the test date or do I just need to relax?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Take the few days break. Your brain needs the downtime and reset, and you already know what you know.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I used to have text anxiety. Then I got the mindset of either I know it or I don't.

OP
OP
E

Eagle

Forum Ride Along
Take the few days break. Your brain needs the downtime and reset, and you already know what you know.
I couldn’t get a test date till a month and half after class due to Covid, so that whole time when I’m not taking practice tests or something I feel like I a bum and should be studying when I’m not. Looking at dates if I fail first attempt there’s nothing for months that’s what I’m most worried about.

OP
OP
E

Eagle

Forum Ride Along
Thanks y’all, you’re right. Not **** I can do so why worry if I want it just got to sit down and take the damn test just like basic whatever happens happens.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You'll never see those exact same questions again. The system knows which ones you saw. You should get a breakdown of which areas you did well and which areas need work. I took the NCLEX-RN a few years ago (very similar type of test to what you just took) and the process I used to get through it was pretty much this:
Read the question. Read all the answers. Re-read the question and look for words or phrases that you might have missed, then answer the question in your mind for what the question is asking. Then re-read all the answers. There should be a couple that closely match what you're thinking. Any answer that you'd answer "That's true if this happens..." probably isn't the answer, even if it COULD be correct. The background knowledge you should have learned in class and the information contained in the question/answer page is all you need to concentrate at one time. The questions before and after have no bearing on what's in front of you now. Just answer the question and move on. The "SATA" questions are basically a series of T/F statements all in one group. If any one word in the statement is incorrect, then it's "F" and likewise the entire statement must be true to be "T." Select appropriately for what the question is asking for. Pay close attention to that...

Also, once you go even a SINGLE question past minimum, you've either been selected to run the maximum, or the system hasn't determined that you've clearly passed or failed so it now must ask additional questions to determine if you're above passing standard, below passing standard, or if you're somewhere in-between.

Don't stress about this. You've seen it now and know what the exam basically looks like now. Once you know the areas you need to work on, do that and occasionally refresh the other areas and try again.

OP
OP
E

Eagle

Forum Ride Along
You'll never see those exact same questions again. The system knows which ones you saw. You should get a breakdown of which areas you did well and which areas need work. I took the NCLEX-RN a few years ago (very similar type of test to what you just took) and the process I used to get through it was pretty much this:
Read the question. Read all the answers. Re-read the question and look for words or phrases that you might have missed, then answer the question in your mind for what the question is asking. Then re-read all the answers. There should be a couple that closely match what you're thinking. Any answer that you'd answer "That's true if this happens..." probably isn't the answer, even if it COULD be correct. The background knowledge you should have learned in class and the information contained in the question/answer page is all you need to concentrate at one time. The questions before and after have no bearing on what's in front of you now. Just answer the question and move on. The "SATA" questions are basically a series of T/F statements all in one group. If any one word in the statement is incorrect, then it's "F" and likewise the entire statement must be true to be "T." Select appropriately for what the question is asking for. Pay close attention to that...

Also, once you go even a SINGLE question past minimum, you've either been selected to run the maximum, or the system hasn't determined that you've clearly passed or failed so it now must ask additional questions to determine if you're above passing standard, below passing standard, or if you're somewhere in-between.

Don't stress about this. You've seen it now and know what the exam basically looks like now. Once you know the areas you need to work on, do that and occasionally refresh the other areas and try again.
Great advice, thank you I’m going to take that all into consideration next attempt and go kill it.