Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
As for sending the passport in to the embassy to get your visa, that is pretty standard and a very common occurrence for many countries.

As for giving up your passport when you arrive in Saudi, I have heard that many employers in Saudi require you to relinquish your passport when you arrive, after you receive your iqama.

I have also heard that there are people working for the SRCA who requested not to relinquish their passport and were allowed to keep it.

I personally am going to say that I would prefer not giving up my passport, and would like to keep it in my possession. If they make an issue of it, then I will give it to them, which is the case with most employers there anyway.

Just FYI, even with your passport in your hand, you can not leave Saudi without an exit visa. In order to get an exit visa, you have to get authorization from your employer. This is typically not an issue from what I understand. So with that in mind, whether you have your passport in your hand or not, and you can not obtain an exit visa for whatever reason, you would have to escalate the matter to your embassy regardless...It isn't like just having your passport in your hand means you can leave at any time you like...they still have to give you a "hall pass" so to speak...

Someone, maybe Sweety or Ameriki correct me if I am wrong please, but this is my understanding.

EagleMedic

Forum Ride Along
Regards

Hey ya'll: I'm new to the forum; just got my job offer by SRCA as a flight medic, it will be great to have heads up on everything with the guys either on their way or already working in the field. Please keep us posted.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm willing to bring my family along, but want to make sure it is 100% safe and able to make a decent living for them while deployed.

Regards & Be safe.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I personally am going to say that I would prefer not giving up my passport, and would like to keep it in my possession. If they make an issue of it, then I will give it to them, which is the case with most employers there anyway.

Requiring the passport for inspection before issuing a visa is normal for some countries; I wouldn't worry. Retaining a foreign employee's passport is fairly common. For that matter, some hotels abroad will also demand it when you check in. See if they'll accept a good photocopy instead. Don't know about Saudi Arabia, but it's probably worth trying.

No matter what, always keep at least a clearly legible photocopy and your American driver's license in your possession. If they won't give the passport back, it'll make things a lot easier if you need to approach the American embassy.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
It is as safe as any place on the planet, even with Yemen next door.

Surely you jest

Granted, I've never worked or lived there... but if a company rep made this statement to me, I would run the other way and never look back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surrendering my passport is just not an option for me. I understand that "this is SOP/how it's done", but there are waaaaay too many nuances in the legal structure there that I cannot even begin to fathom.

If this were a 1st World country, I'd consider letting them hold my passport while working in country... the Middle East? Hell no. All I need in my life is to inadvertently violate some obscure law, and end up detained. Trust me, the State Department isn't going to give 2 flying ****s about Paramedic so and so who got caught up in Riyadh on some BS. A year is a long time to be living by someone else's leave... plenty of time for something to go wrong. I'm a worse case scenario kind of guy, and the money/experience is not worth the risk for me.

To each his/her own... have fun guys and take plenty of pics :p

webmedics

Forum Ride Along
Saudi laws as expressed by our State Department

Residents in Saudi Arabia who are departing the country must obtain an exit permit prior to leaving and an exit/reentry permit if they intend to return to Saudi Arabia. The Saudi sponsor's approval is required for exit permits. The written Arabic text of a contract governs employment and business arrangements under Saudi law. Before signing a contract, American companies should obtain an independent translation to ensure a full understanding of the contract's terms, limits, and agreements. No American should come to work in Saudi Arabia or make a business arrangement without having read and understood the full written contract. Verbal assurances or side letters are not binding under Saudi law. In the event of any contract dispute, the Saudi authorities refer to the contract. Since the Saudi sponsor holds the employee's passport and controls the issuance of exit permits, Americans cannot simply leave Saudi Arabia in the event of a labor or business dispute.

American citizens involved in labor disputes or employment dismissal will not be granted an exit permit prior to court resolution or abandonment of the case by the American citizen. Saudi sponsors have substantial leverage in the negotiations and may block departure

The U.S. Mission in Saudi Arabia has received several reports of Americans fined for inadvertently overstaying their permitted time in the Kingdom.

the security climate in Saudi Arabia, particularly in the Eastern Province and Riyadh, it is important to note that there remains an ongoing security threat due to the continued presence of terrorist groups, some affiliated with al Qaida, who may target Western interests, housing compounds, hotels, shopping areas and other facilities where Westerners congregate.

American citizens who choose to visit Saudi Arabia are strongly urged to avoid staying in hotels or housing compounds that do not apply stringent security measures, and also are advised to be aware of their surroundings when visiting commercial establishments frequented by Westerners. American citizens also are advised to keep a low profile, vary times and routes of travel, exercise caution while driving, entering or exiting vehicles

The U.S. Embassy in Riyadh cautions American citizens that Saudi Arabian police authorities have detained potential witnesses to crimes without charges or access to legal counsel, and with limited or delayed consular access, during the investigative stage of criminal cases, which can take months. On occasion, Saudi authorities have temporarily confiscated the personal effects of detained potential witnesses. Even when released from detention, witnesses to criminal incidents may be prohibited from leaving the country until investigation of the incident is complete.Suspects may be detained without charges or legal counsel, and with limited consular access, for months during the investigative stage of criminal cases.

In the event of a traffic accident resulting in personal injury, all persons involved (if not in the hospital) may be taken to the local police station. Drivers are likely to be held for several days until responsibility is determined and any reparations paid. In many cases, all drivers involved in the accident are held in custody regardless of fault.

muzlblast

Forum Ride Along
Wow, my whole process has been going very smoothly. I made my appointment for my physical on Jan 4th. I have no Medical Insurance and had to pay $200.00 upfront. I'm seeing a PA to get it done and after looking at the three medical forms, from the SRCA I brought in. They thought that the total cost would be Approx $800.00. I worked out a payment plan with them and so the process continues. At this point, I'm going to get finger printed and send it off. After I get that back, I'll send off my paperwork.

I'm dealing directly with SRCA they have been very nice, and straight forward. My job offer was acceptable when I received it (pay, benefits,etc.) I think living and working in a foreign country, getting to meet new people. Is going to be a great adventure. Lot's of my Medic friends wish that they could do something like this.

Armor,

Just curious about your comment regarding fingerprints. I am almost ready to send my paperwork to Gaby for the Visa and saw nothing regarding fingerprints. So far my recruitment process has been almost identitcal to WT's.

Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Look forward to seeing all you guys over there!

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
According to the FBI, if you want your criminal back ground check. Or a letter stating that you that do not have one. You need to get fingerprinted at your local law enforcement agency, and send it off to them. I sent that off a week ago now. WTEngle was just able to get his Visa with a Dept of Public Safety, Standards and Training (DPSST) Check. In Oregon, The Oregon State Police handle that, and require that you send in a fingerprint card also, for your background. The State Police check usually takes 7 business days, and after I get that back from them, I'm going to send off my visa application. If the consulate comes back and says that they want the FBI check then I'll still be ok because I have already sent it off. Because the FBI check takes 8-10 weeks to get back. So other then that, I have everything and should be sending off my paperwork next week sometime. I to look forward to meeting everyone. This is going to be a lot off fun. I sure hope they put us through a local custom's class. I have been talking to a Flight Medic who is now a PA. He spent 18 months in Saudi, and I have been trying to do as much research as I can. I think the hardest thing for me will be keeping both my feet on the ground. I always cross my legs. Or put my feet up on something, he said also that you will learn to eat with only your right hand. The Saudi's don't use Silverware, so you'll learn to roll rice balls using only one hand ETC. He said it's tricky but you'll get it.

muzlblast

Forum Ride Along
Ok I got ya. Here in Florida you can pull a statewide non certified copy right off the web. No fingerprints are required. Thanks for the info, hope to see you over there soon.

Danbo

Forum Probie
Fingerprints and background check

Here in NYS I went to the local PD, was fingerprinted and sent the prints and $50.00 to NYSP identification. The records came back in two weeks. Hope to see you guys over there soon, I'm supposed to be leaving around 31 Jan. I've been at this process since July 09.
Danbo

j_commspec

Forum Probie
Is anyone actually in country yet

I am waiting on my contract. I have done everything else. I am a Comm. Spec. (dispatcher). I am looking for anyone that has arrived. There are all kinds of speculations concerning pay and issues about handing over passports. I am looking for someone that can verify any of this
Thanks

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Have any of you boy's asked your future employer if it will be required to hand in your passports and other relevant important questions? Is it in your contracts? Ask the questions guys...get the answers in writing!

In the hospital system forfeiting passports is included in our contract. The choice is the individuals to sign or not to sign prior to accepting the position.;)

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
3 more days

3 more days guys...I am getting pretty excited. I will keep everyone posted about how my arrival and processing goes once I am in the country. I am arriving at around 3 PM Saudi time, which is 6 AM CST. Check for updates a few hours after that, maybe around 10 AM CST or Noon CST...somewhere around there...

Also, for anyone interested, I posted a list of the items I am bringing and everything I packed on my blog. If anyone has any suggestions about anything I may have missed then feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

Danbo

Forum Probie
Travis in Saudi

Travis,
I got my airline ticket for 27 Jan. I asked for a couple of more days as a party was planned for me on the 30th, but if I have to go on that day I will. I found your packing list invaluable. Looking forward to meeting you at the end of the month.
Danbo

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Outstanding! Good for you...I will be posting to let you know what happens when I get over there...

Danbo

Forum Probie
Travis in Saudi

Rhonda already told me Scott and her will be picking you up at the airport. I, like you, am very left handed and was concerned, but she said it isn't that big a deal. Also, I found out I can respectfully shave off this silly, itchy, full beard I assumed I would have to grow. Let me know what's going on, and if you would like me to pick up something from USA that you forgot.
Danbo

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I definitely will, and perhaps I will be able to pick you up from the airport on the 27th when you arrive.

calimedic

Forum Probie
Saudi Red Crescent

Has anyone been in contact with Jay Paladino, he is an American paramedic heading up the HEMS side of things for the SRCS. He is on the ground in Riyadh and should be able to provide updated information.

I spent ten years working in Saudi Arabia. So I know the country very well. although I left four years ago, most of my information should still be valid. When I was there you had to give up your passport and carry an iqama. Which is a goverment I.D.

All companies held your passport. As far as safety, Things have gotten much safer since King Abdullah took over in 2005. Up until then the US embassy advised no american should travel to Saudi. now you should be careful as in any country.

Obey the law's. The expats that tended to get on the wrong side of the Saudi law where the ones that flaunted Saudi law and customs.

All that being said, I would not trade my time in Saudi a for anything. It was a rich experince to live in another culture.

I wish all the guys good luck and a great adventure, just remember your not at home, things don't work or move as fast as you are used to. Take it all in stride and you should have a great time.

I would be remiss if I did not plug my book "Paramedic to the Prince" I have revieved some great reviews, two by medic's who are in Saudi now. Both said it should be required reading for anyone wanting to travel to the Middle East.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.