Sapphire pump programming

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This thing is the bane of my existence.

Why can’t we just have a simple USB to device cable, without a serial driver in the middle.

I just want to load Norepinephrine to the drug library. This thing is as complicated as launching a nuke. (And yes, I’m relatively computer savvy… this is just some antiquated BS)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Actually, I think launching a nuke is more complicated...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Actually, I think launching a nuke is more complicated...
Than being said, I suspect that with Sapphire programming, witchcraft, incantation of druidic spells, getting the tea leaves to line up correctly, and pure good luck all are involved.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What issues are you having? It’s always been a straightforward process when I have to update our pumps.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

It’s actually a problem with the usb to serial cable. Our IT guy spent 90 minutes with me today and couldn’t figure it out. We ordered a new cable and we’ll try again tomorrow.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ahh. That would do it. The only issue I have ever ran into is having to change my work laptops display resolution and magnification setting to run the drug library installer. I did just get a new hub that allows me to program 5 pumps at a time which saves times.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I did just get a new hub that allows me to program 5 pumps at a time which saves times.
The Sapphire pumps are really nice... but having to program them one at a time (or possibly even 5 at a time) is quite the headache for my boss. At my regular job, we use Alaris pumps and as long as the pump is on the network, our pharmacy can update their library relatively easily. It's not often that we have a drip that isn't in the library...

Over the years, I have used a number of pumps and for hospital use, I like the BD Alaris and the Hospira Plum A pumps. For transport, the Sapphire and the Sigma Spectrum pumps are really easy to use. I'm probably more partial to the Sapphire pumps overall though. One of the more interesting transport pumps I've used over the years was the Minimed III. My only issue with them was having to prime the cassettes without any bubbles whatsoever... I did get very good at properly priming them but I'm also quite glad I don't have to do it any more.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The Sapphire pumps are really nice... but having to program them one at a time (or possibly even 5 at a time) is quite the headache for my boss. At my regular job, we use Alaris pumps and as long as the pump is on the network, our pharmacy can update their library relatively easily. It's not often that we have a drip that isn't in the library...

Over the years, I have used a number of pumps and for hospital use, I like the BD Alaris and the Hospira Plum A pumps. For transport, the Sapphire and the Sigma Spectrum pumps are really easy to use. I'm probably more partial to the Sapphire pumps overall though. One of the more interesting transport pumps I've used over the years was the Minimed III. My only issue with them was having to prime the cassettes without any bubbles whatsoever... I did get very good at properly priming them but I'm also quite glad I don't have to do it any more.
We still have 4 MiniMed III at my base location in addition to the 7 sapphires we have. Our company is currently in the process of selling all of the MiniMed III.

We have been having such a major issue with the MiniMeds that for the past couple of years we would only put non-critical infusions on those pumps and use the sapphires for all the critical one.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

We have Minimed III pumps also and use them for the IFT drips. The sapphire pumps are primarily for Levo, Dopamine or Epi on scene call.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The minimed coulda been the transport pump to rule them all. But alas. So persnickety.

I miss having a pump.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The minimed coulda been the transport pump to rule them all. But alas. So persnickety.

I miss having a pump.
It was the one to rule them all when it was released many many years ago. I would kill for a sapphire pump that had 2 or even 3 channels. I hate having to carry 7 individual pumps instead of just 2-3.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

It was the one to rule them all when it was released many many years ago. I would kill for a sapphire pump that had 2 or even 3 channels. I hate having to carry 7 individual pumps instead of just 2-3.
We don’t do critical care here, so a single channel sapphire is usually all we need.

How do you guys carry them? We have a small pelican that has the pump, AC cord, cradle, some sets of tubing and “pump meds” like Levo, dopamine and a 250 bag for Epi.

And I agree, the MiniMed was great, but a three channel sapphire would be awesome.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
We don’t do critical care here, so a single channel sapphire is usually all we need.

How do you guys carry them? We have a small pelican that has the pump, AC cord, cradle, some sets of tubing and “pump meds”
Pliable blue case that stores the full and half sets in the back. 1 A/C cable per pump. Our base has 6 pumps, but have heard not all carry the same amount of pumps…

@DesertMedic66?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Pliable blue case that stores the full and half sets in the back. 1 A/C cable per pump. Our base has 6 pumps, but have heard not all carry the same amount of pumps…

@DesertMedic66?
We have three currently (and three MiniMeds that rarely see the light of day.)

Finally got the programming updated. It was the USB to Serial cable. :(

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

How do you guys carry them? We have a small pelican that has the pump, AC cord, cradle, some sets of tubing and “pump meds” like Levo, dopamine and a 250 bag for Epi.

And I agree, the MiniMed was great, but a three channel sapphire would be awesome.
Right now company wide we utilize a soft blue case from Coast BioMedical. It’s not bad overall. You can store a full set and a half set in the storage compartment on the case.

All medications are contained in our bags. We only carry 2 AC chargers with us. One plugged into the aircraft and is always attached to one of the pumps and then another one in a separate bag with items we don’t use all that much.

We are currently trialing 3 different cases but it sounds like only 1 of them is a good option.

@DesertMedic66?
For the PacWest currently the layout is supposed to be: normal base = 5 sapphire pumps. IABP/ECMO bases = 7 sapphire pumps.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If the problem of priming the cassettes could have been solved, those would have been extremely difficult to beat. A multi-channel pump would normally be all I'd ever need... From what I understand, these things are increasingly difficult to repair...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
When I'm on a dedicated CCT truck, we carry something like 7 sapphire pumps with probably 10 or so half and full tubing sets. All of those pumps have their own cradle device. We also have a bag with the AC cords. When I'm on an intercept/fly car, I carry 6 sapphire pumps each of which also have their own AC chargers. I also have a good supply of half and full admin sets. I have another bag with Levo, Dopamine, epi, and the like but since I'm going from hospital to hospital, I just use their stuff. Most of the time I don't have to add another pressor...

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I don’t mean to sound dumb, but what is the difference between a half set and a full set of tubing?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don’t mean to sound dumb, but what is the difference between a half set and a full set of tubing?
A half set is essentially the extension tubing for pre-existing infusions. A full set is the whole enchilada from beginning to end, to include the drip chamber.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

A half set is essentially the extension tubing for pre-existing infusions. A full set is the whole enchilada from beginning to end, to include the drip chamber.

Okay, so if a patient has an infusion running, you’d just connect a half set to the admin set already there and just have more tubing? It’s just a luer lock at each end and a pump cassette in the middle?

All we ever use is full sets with our sapphire pumps.

I feel like an idiot for not knowing that.