Salary

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Pay varies depending on if you're working for a private/municipal, or other type of service.

Between the privates around here, one starts medics at $11/hr, and the other starts medics at $17/hr. All depends on where you go.

If you aren't happy with the pay, go somewhere else, or find a different career altogether. Griping about it won't help.

Niesje

Forum Crew Member
I don't know what other schools are like, but the school I'm going to for AEMT requires way more than 120 hrs. I'm required to do 506 clinical hrs and 17 hrs a week in class for 8 months. But from what I hear, the pay around here is better than that. From the statistics, it looks like good money, but it's most likely longevity that really increases your pay. Say you start out at $10/hr and work for 10 years, getting a raise every 6 months(the usual around here). You'd be making $20/hr. This is keeping in mind that most EMS workers I've met have advanced their education at least a little and have stayed at the same job for a long time.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Does it discourage anyone that you get paid as much as someone working in mcdonalds and what not? 10 dollars an hour doesn't seem so great.

Would it be nice to be making what Fire or PD makes? Yeah.
Should we be paid more than $10/hr? Yeah.

But I don't do my job for the paycheck, I do it because I look forward to going to work. Because I like what I do and the people I serve.

Even with the high cost of living in CA I make due with $10.50/hr, and I get 18mpg on a one hour commute. Far from optimal, but I keep showing up every day.

You can't do this job for the paycheck. You have to do it because you want to.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Would it be nice to be making what Fire or PD makes? Yeah.
Should we be paid more than $10/hr? Yeah.

But I don't do my job for the paycheck, I do it because I look forward to going to work. Because I like what I do and the people I serve.

Even with the high cost of living in CA I make due with $10.50/hr, and I get 18mpg on a one hour commute. Far from optimal, but I keep showing up every day.

You can't do this job for the paycheck. You have to do it because you want to.

Do you have a family to support? Kids?

Do you have a mortgage?

You will find that those with kids to support earning minimum wage in states like California on some form of public assistance.

It is great to say things like that while you might have feel responsibilities but at some point you might need to look at the future. Having your kids living off welfare programs is not always a good life for them or a good example.

Do you have any plans to go beyond what is considered and entry level job? Some people get comfortable with entry level jobs and shun going to college or advancing to a job that has more responsibility to go along with the increase in pay.

There is also a big difference between choosing a career and a job. You referred to being an EMT as a job.

There are many other jobs and careers where you can help people even in EMS or the prehospital environment without giving up a decent income. But, it also comes at a price of time, effort and money.

The FD firefighters usually must maintain both the firefighting part as well as the EMT or Paramedic certs. This is one reason why they are paid more. Police Officers also may be required to maintain many proficiencies while some EMTs struggle to just do the minimum NREMT recert requirements with very few expectations from their employers.

There is also another side to this like for teachers who have invested usually at minimum a 6 year college degree (Masters) to obtain a career which is their passion. When someone puts that much effort into doing some which helps many children or adults better themselves but still works for a very low salary even in California, works part time at another job to make ends meet and still enjoys what they do, you have someone who has a true passion for their chosen career.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Just as a side note with all the fast food talking. Several of our local area Mccdonalds are REQUIRING an associates degree to work the register. It does not give you an improved shot at the job, it is REQUIRED....

This is The carolina's, not exactly the shining example of education and yet our fast food joints are requiring their register workers to have more education then we do.

So to put it all in perspective, They are more educated, I dare say they work harder then your average EMS worker, they get less appreciation for their job, and yet they make less money.... dare I say again, EMS is not underpaid...

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

Do you have a mortgage?

You will find that those with kids to support earning minimum wage in states like California on some form of public assistance.

It is great to say things like that while you might have feel responsibilities but at some point you might need to look at the future. Having your kids living off welfare programs is not always a good life for them or a good example.

Do you have any plans to go beyond what is considered and entry level job? Some people get comfortable with entry level jobs and shun going to college or advancing to a job that has more responsibility to go along with the increase in pay.

There is also a big difference between choosing a career and a job. You referred to being an EMT as a job.

There are many other jobs and careers where you can help people even in EMS or the prehospital environment without giving up a decent income. But, it also comes at a price of time, effort and money.

The FD firefighters usually must maintain both the firefighting part as well as the EMT or Paramedic certs. This is one reason why they are paid more. Police Officers also may be required to maintain many proficiencies while some EMTs struggle to just do the minimum NREMT recert requirements with very few expectations from their employers.

There is also another side to this like for teachers who have invested usually at minimum a 6 year college degree (Masters) to obtain a career which is their passion. When someone puts that much effort into doing some which helps many children or adults better themselves but still works for a very low salary even in California, works part time at another job to make ends meet and still enjoys what they do, you have someone who has a true passion for their chosen career.

This is very true. You can make a career as a paramedic, but you need to be diligent about finding a job that will support you. You need to invest in your retirement and your future. They always say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy you some financial security if you're smart with it, and that peace of mind is incredibly important.

Just as a side note with all the fast food talking. Several of our local area Mccdonalds are REQUIRING an associates degree to work the register. It does not give you an improved shot at the job, it is REQUIRED....

This is The carolina's, not exactly the shining example of education and yet our fast food joints are requiring their register workers to have more education then we do.

So to put it all in perspective, They are more educated, I dare say they work harder then your average EMS worker, they get less appreciation for their job, and yet they make less money.... dare I say again, EMS is not underpaid...

Also agree here. We don't require any degrees and rarely value them if someone has one. I feel lucky to be a 23 year old making what I do, knowing that my wife has a masters degree and is having a ton of trouble finding a job.

Also, there are many people with grad degrees who are unemployed with suffocating student loan debt. Lawyers can have upwards of 300k in debt from a crappy private school and would be lucky to land a job that requires a JD and makes 40k (about what you can count on making as a new medic if you're willing to move a little) while possibly working long hours doing tedious paperwork. I say if you're unhappy, try to move where you can find a job at suits you. They are there. Most new paramedics are in a much better position than new lawyers, with way less education.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

Do you have a mortgage?

I do not have kids or a mortgage. I did not mean to step on the toes of those that do and struggle. I am only 20. I still have to work to get the bills paid, but its not like having kids.

And I do plan on going past the entry level job. I'm in school for a paramedic degree and plan on something like search and rescue or something to augment my normal EMS duties.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Hmm, I have to maintain my NR status and had to complete an EMT course they put into college curriculum for college credit. My course ran 250 hours and was 2 semesters long. I get paid. .... a whooping stipend and a free meal on transfers over 3 hours long.

I don't complain about the money obviously because I don't do it for the money. I am speaking to the city about my Paramedic degree 2 year associates ... and then I will get paid...nothing more. I do get free education though :cool:

augustHorch

Forum Probie
Yep. I'm pretty content with the salary we're paid when you look at what the average day entails. EMS seems to spoil people for other jobs. As was mentioned previously, fast food workers are expected to work basically the entire time during their shift. We may have days like that, but most have large sections of free time where we are basically left alone. I love my job, look forward to going to work, and think I am fairly compensated for it.

i think there is another thought to consider though...

the amount of responsibility and liability we have compared to working at jack in the crack... it is night and day difference. That type of difference should effect monetary compensation.

EDIT: let me be clear. i am not complaining at all with what i get compensated as an EMT-B. BUT i would be hardpressed to do it for 10 dollars an hour...

Last edited by a moderator:

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
i think there is another thought to consider though...

the amount of responsibility and liability we have compared to working at jack in the crack... it is night and day difference. That type of difference should effect monetary compensation.

EDIT: let me be clear. i am not complaining at all with what i get compensated as an EMT-B. BUT i would be hardpressed to do it for 10 dollars an hour...

I see you have probably never worked for a fast food restaurant.

Fast food workers deal with more people in 2 hours than you probably do in a month. They handle $1000s of dollars each shift and are accountable for every penny. They face the possibility of being robbed and harm every shift. They know all of their actions are recorded and under scrutiny. They put up with jerks who believe they are superior to them every shift who demand their 10% discount for being an EMT "saving lives all day" and will make a scene every chance they get if they are unhappy about service.

At least many of the fast food service workers are in college getting an education to move up rather than whining.

augustHorch

Forum Probie

Fast food workers deal with more people in 2 hours than you probably do in a month. They handle $1000s of dollars each shift and are accountable for every penny. They face the possibility of being robbed and harm every shift. They know all of their actions are recorded and under scrutiny. They put up with jerks who believe they are superior to them every shift who demand their 10% discount for being an EMT "saving lives all day" and will make a scene every chance they get if they are unhappy about service.

At least many of the fast food service workers are in college getting an education to move up rather than whining.

Hmmm...

I dont disagree that they deal with more people, and deal with more cash, and that it is dangerous. All that is correct.

I think the legal liabilities EMTs face are far greater than that of a fast food worker. I also think that the level of responsibility is FAR greater as an EMT... you are dealing with human beings... every single one different... with very complex systems with very complex needs... And you are tasked to not only sustain their lives in near impossible circumstances, but you are also tasked with attempting diagnose and treat conditions that your training has barely scratched the surface of.

Disclaimer: This is IN NO WAY a slam on fast food workers. I have lots of respect for the job and what it entails...

--edited---

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

Of course this may vary from region to region, but here is my feedback. I worked at McDonalds when I was 16 years old. Employee's smoked weed in the freezer, no one was a college a student on my shift, most of the employees where high school kids or drops outs. We also hired many people with mental disabilities. As a 16 year old boy I did not have any children of my own, any house payments, car payments, or anything. I did mindless work which I am fairly sure a monkey could be trained to do. The very small number of employees who handled the money did not have to do math, the register did all that for you. The manager made sure everything was correct at the end of your shift. I never felt "scared of being robbed" anymore than I have as a Paramedic, or while sitting at home watching TV. The minimum wage I was making as a 16 year old kid seemed like a fortune to me at that time.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Lastly, there are a lot of customers who treat them like crap. I don't agree with customers treating fastfood workers, service industry folks, or anyone like that. However I have also seen employees spit in burgers, milk shakes, ect... So its pretty dumb on the customers behalf to provoke such an act.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Of course this may vary from region to region, but here is my feedback. I worked at McDonalds when I was 16 years old. Employee's smoked weed in the freezer, no one was a college a student on my shift, most of the employees where high school kids or drops outs. We also hired many people with mental disabilities. As a 16 year old boy I did not have any children of my own, any house payments, car payments, or anything. I did mindless work which I am fairly sure a monkey could be trained to do. The very small number of employees who handled the money did not have to do math, the register did all that for you. The manager made sure everything was correct at the end of your shift. I never felt "scared of being robbed" anymore than I have as a Paramedic, or while sitting at home watching TV. The minimum wage I was making as a 16 year old kid seemed like a fortune to me at that time.

Considering your age, I think a lot has changed in 40 years. Employees are now drug tested and a thorough background check is done which some EMTs don't even have to face today.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmm...

I dont disagree that they deal with more people, and deal with more cash, and that it is dangerous. All that is correct.

I think the legal liabilities EMTs face are far greater than that of a fast food worker. I also think that the level of responsibility is FAR greater as an EMT... you are dealing with human beings... every single one different... with very complex systems with very complex needs... And you are tasked to not only sustain their lives in near impossible circumstances, but you are also tasked with attempting diagnose and treat conditions that your training has barely scratched the surface of.

Disclaimer: This is IN NO WAY a slam on fast food workers. I have lots of respect for the job and what it entails...

--edited---

Fast food workers deal with humans with many different personalities and temors.

They also have a responsibility for safety not only for the food but the environment they work in. Those cookers are hot and can cause harm. They also probably get more infection control training than the average EMT or even Paramedic.

EMTs have a very limited scope of practice. EMTs have limited education and very limited ability to diagnose in the field. You should not be wasting time in the field as an EMT trying to diagnose every patient. They do not have the same liability as a Paramedic. If they work for a municipal system, their own personal liability is protected by state immunity laws. Since they make not much money, their employers will face the biggest liability and do pay for insurance to cover you. Most EMTs in the US will work routine transport trucks. Many of the others will be paired with a Paramedic. The others will be volunteers which also has immunity statutes for protection from direct liability.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Considering your age, I think a lot has changed in 40 years. Employees are now drug tested and a thorough background check is done which some EMTs don't even have to face today.

I am 30 years old, so this was around 15 years ago. Has that much changed at McDonalds in the last 14 to 15 years? Also, to my knowledge it is not corporate policy to drug test at McDonalds. That is not to say an independent franchise owner may or may not do it, but its not a corporate requirement that I am aware of. Mentally and physically handicap people are eligible to work at McDonalds, as are high school children at age 16 (or even age 14 in some states). A high school diploma or GED is also not required to work at Mcdonalds. Lastly, McDonalds is a direct contributer of the public health epidemic that the surgeon general points out called "obesity."

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
I am 30 years old, so this was around 15 years ago. Has that much changed at McDonalds in the last 14 to 15 years? Also, to my knowledge it is not corporate policy to drug test at McDonalds. That is not to say an independent franchise owner may or may not do it, but its not a corporate requirement that I am aware of. Mentally and physically handicap people are eligible to work at McDonalds, as are high school children at age 16 (or even age 14 in some states). A high school diploma or GED is also not required to work at Mcdonalds. Lastly, McDonalds is a direct contributer of the public health epidemic that the surgeon general points out called "obesity."

Wasn't that photo of the old man with body tattoos you? You don't look 30.

Are you saying all 16 year olds who work at McDonalds smoke pot? Do all handicapped people smoke pot? What exactly is your point? You were able to smoke pot while working at McDonalds does not mean others will be allowed to do so or will be as stupid. It does show that the 15 year olds like yourself were not old enough or mature enough to know right and wrong for the work place.

Do all obese EMTs just eat at McDonalds?

Wasn't there a long list of contributing factors and restaurants, not just McDonalds, on the Surgeon General's site?

Trying to point out pot smoking 16 year olds working at McDonalds still does not make an EMT superior or entitled when the education and initial hiring requirements are not much different. Some states also allow 16 year olds to be EMTs and many will not require drug testing. We already have seen posts on this forum where EMTs and Paramedics have admitted to drug use. We also have those who smoke in and just outside their ambulance. Role models? At least fast food workers know who they are and why they are there. Even with the rudest of customers they still know they much treat each one with respect. That is something those in EMS sometimes forgets. Maybe it should be a requirement for all prospective EMTs to work in fast food or some type of hospitality industry such as wait staff at a restaurant before applying.

With the low education requirements to be an EMT along with easy entry with few background checks and that many are willing to do the job for free because of the life saving glamor shown on TV, is there really that much mystery as to why the wage is low? Working at McDonalds is not someone's dream job nor is it made glamorous on TV so those who apply aren't being deceived about what the job is really about.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Wasn't that photo of the old man with body tattoos you? You don't look 30.

Are you saying all 16 year olds who work at McDonalds smoke pot? Do all handicapped people smoke pot? What exactly is your point?
I am sorry you do not understand...... I am not sure what else to say with out wasting my breathe.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I am sorry you do not understand...... I am not sure what else to say with out wasting my breathe.

Don't waste it, this has gotten ridiculous.
vasasema.jpg