Running lights vs running hot

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If you read my post I am in a college based EMS group. We respond to all campus emergencies (yes real emergencies). We just go at squad and are having discussion on when to go "hot" vs not.

I am of the opinion that we should run light but no sirens to emergencies and if transport is necessary run hot or lights only or "cold" to the hospital which is like 5 minutes away.

Our director (not medial) who is a campus cop wants us to never run use the lights or sirens no matter what.

PS: we drive on campus sidewalks to get right to the buildings.

What do you think?

Agree with the director, and ditch the term "running hot". Best way to insure prompt response is teams by the vehicle, good communications, and know the lay of the land perfectly.
Oh, yeah, be good at climbing stairs if needed.

We deff know the area well as we live in our response area. Im just worried that at 11pm when there are a few hundred students on campus that never yeild to cars. I think they might yeild if they see a ambulance with their lights on. I should also say i dont think we should drive any different with the lights on just have them on basically saying hey! were coming though. We used to use a van to respond and I would have people walk in front of us for minutes at a time even though I was honking at them. I should also say we are a BLS sqad FYI

Ditch the cheesy terms.

Either it's an emergent response of a non emergent response and in most areas emergent responses aren't worth the risk.

I agree with the campus PD. In a lot of areas lights and sirens only save seconds (if that) and that is big response areas 10+ miles. As a college your not going to be covering such a large area.

Also since its a college your not gonna be getting too many "grandma is in full arrest". Most of you'll respond to will be drunk guys/girls who did something stupid. You may get some better calls (ie allergic reactions, asthma, etc).

The only part on using the lights I could agree on would be if you are on a sidewalk. It may help students realize that they should move out of the way.

Thats why I dont want to use sirens. All they do is raise your pulse and give you a nice epi rush, it also makes some pt's freak. Becuase as you said most of our pts are drunk they think we are the cops coming to arrest them, lol.

I have responded to; respiratory distress, lots of sports injures, syncope, and chest pain (we respond to anyone on campus, including faculty and staff). I work monday nights so no drunk people for me :)

You can have the horn off my Accord, it'll clear 'em fast enough.

Ditch the cheesy terms.

Either it's an emergent response of a non emergent response and in most areas emergent responses aren't worth the risk.

I mean i could use code 2/3 but not everyone uses those, including us. It was the simplest terms I could come up with. Dont hate!

You can have the horn off my Accord, it'll clear 'em fast enough.

Obviously you have not been on an urban college campus. I am supprised we do not get more ped vs car calls. I think someone has already been hit crossing against the light this year, ironically with in sight of the ED

They see me rollin
They hatin
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty

:rofl:

No hatin' Just commentatin', Mahn! :ph34r:

They see me rollin
They hatin
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty

:rofl:

let me respond to this as I walk through the valley where I harvest my Grain. Woa I just took a look at my wife and realized she's very plain
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me.

What are you responding in a golf cart? SUV? Aerial? Type ||?

We have priority dispatch where I work. At 3am when we go to the snf less than 2 miles away I drive cold )code 2) even if it is a hot (code 1) call.

We also have a policy that if we have to drive on sidewalks or walking trails or anywhere where there is ped traffic we are to have the lights on.

Our ambulance is still getting painted. I believe it is a box type.

Let me be clear about this again. When I say responding with lights I mean responding at a normal speed, obeying all traffic signals and law.

I just think its a good idea to have them on so we are more visible and people don't think we are just a service van or something.

I just think its a good idea to have them on so we are more visible and people don't think we are just a service van or something.

There is no valid reason for this concern, other than your self image. What does it matter if somebody sees you and thinks you are a service van?

There is no valid reason for this concern, other than your self image. What does it matter if somebody sees you and thinks you are a service van?

Because college students wont move out of the way. I think that was a bad example. I dont want people to not see us when it is 11pm dark and they are drunk.

Back