rules against tattoos?

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
the average person may have trouble finding a job covered in ink, but i never thought it was such an issue for a paramedic of firefighter. until recently when i've been hearing more discussion about it.. can anyone shed some light on the situation, whether true or false, are tattoos such an issue when applying in certain states or counties, please shed any information you can. this is definitely an issue that worries me..

OSMedic

Forum Probie
This is pulled directly from our HR policy on appearance.

Tattoos
a. Associates with exposed tattoos will make a reasonable effort to cover their tattoos while at work or representing the Health Center.

b. Tattoos on the hands and/or face are not permitted. However, exemptions may be made for rings or cosmetic reasons on a case-by-case basis as determined by the associate’s respective Administrative Team member.

I personally do not have Tattoos and think that if someone does you should make an attempt to cover them while at work. It's just not professional IMHO.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a professionalism thing. Most people do not want a person covered in ink from head to toe showing up to take care of mom. I have many friends who have tattoos but they keep them in places that are easily covered while at work.

Most private services I worked for in the past had a rule that they had to be covered. The employers would issue a long sleeved shirt to those who had ink on their arms.

The 2 fire departments I currently work with have basically no one with visible tattoos even with short sleeved shirts on. I doubt they would get called back after the first interview if they had visible tattoos during the first round.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
i mean im curious, because i do have tattoos. none are currently visible. i have an office job now, and i too think its unprofessional to have them showing. however i do have future plans to fully sleeve both arms. i have no problem covering them for professional reasons at work with a long sleeve shirt or anything.. i just don't know how much of a problem it is, or could be?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Being from florida, you are going to be very, very hot my friend!

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
indeed, that i have thought about. but if its a sacrifice i have to make then its a sacrifice i have to make. i just need to know how much of an issue it is, during the employment process lets say? if i can cover them all is it still an issue? will they ask? will wearing long sleeves to work be an issue?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
indeed, that i have thought about. but if its a sacrifice i have to make then its a sacrifice i have to make. i just need to know how much of an issue it is, during the employment process lets say? if i can cover them all is it still an issue? will they ask? will wearing long sleeves to work be an issue?

Not to be a thread killer, but this policy can vary from department to department. The best thing to do is to contact a couple of agencies you're interested in working for and asking what their policy is.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
will definitely take that into consideration, but being as im just in the start of studying and applying, i haven't gotten around to narrowing it down just yet.. just trying to get a viable opinion. see what the difference is from agency to agency or even frankly from state to state, being as i may not be living in florida when i begin working..

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
will definitely take that into consideration, but being as im just in the start of studying and applying, i haven't gotten around to narrowing it down just yet.. just trying to get a viable opinion. see what the difference is from agency to agency or even frankly from state to state, being as i may not be living in florida when i begin working..

In that case, my opinion is don't give any agency any reason not to hire you. No tattoos, no piercings, etc.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Quickest way to let the rest of society know you just don't care about anything?

Get a tattoo on the neck or face.

I happen to know a very successful and amazingly talented doctor with visible tattoos, but for those of us who are a little more average and don't have medical degrees I think Chimpie is right. Why give an employer a reason not to hire you. Keep tats where they don't show.

Where I volly and where I work both have rules against any visible tattoos.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
I mean I agree, but to any extent. I'm in no way implying that I would want a face or neck tattoo. but what about arm tattoos? they can be covered. what's your stance on that?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a wrist tattoo and forearm tattoo... wrist covered by my watch on duty.forearm covered by a tat sleeve... one service doesn't care if its visible. The Evil Empire has a no visible tattoo rule. When I interview I'm in a long sleeve dress shirt anyways.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I mean I agree, but to any extent. I'm in no way implying that I would want a face or neck tattoo. but what about arm tattoos? they can be covered. what's your stance on that?

Some places have a zero visible tattoo policy period. Doesn't matter if they can be covered with tattoo sleeves or not. One of the rules I've seen is that if it isn't covered by the standard duty uniform, it is a not allowed.

My personal opinion is that it isn't worth the risk. Even if you find a place that allows it you never know what might happen. Your company may be bought out by another with different rules, or management could change and enact new rules

mm505

Forum Crew Member
If you want to work at a company, you must abide by their rules and regulations. If you don't want to abide by their rules and regulations, you have the right to not work there. Always remember, will what you are doing help or hinder your chance at employment?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

It would be a calculated risk putting it anywhere you can't cover it with the sleeve of a long sleeve shirt. Even then some services don't have uniforms with long sleeve shirts (think Phoenix, or Houston). Some parts of the country are more accepting of tattoos but there's always the chance you might move somewhere that they are still viewed with disdain.

I think tattoos are an awesome way to display your beliefs and individuality when they are well thought out planned and done. Good ones are a legitimate work of art but as with any work of art not everyone will view it as acceptable. They can be a liability in many professions and this includes all of the medical professions. Can you get a job with a tattoo? Absolutely but it will definitely cut down on your options and if you're just starting out your options will be very limited already. I would avoid tattoos on the arms and legs.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Were I hiring, I would see tattoos and the wearer's attitude towards them as a litmus test of their personality and attitude.

If you think visible tats are not professional, but you are planning on "sleeving", then I would question your reasoning abilities and maturity, depending upon your cultural background. (You aren't a Maori or Sarawak are you?).

PS: tats in the hair or obvious jail prison or gang tats would earn any applicant I was interested in a thorough background check.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
see and this is where i get more interested, remember im still learning the ropes. but how many places actually have a uniform with long sleeves that allows that to be covered? if your uniform shirt isn't long sleeved, are you allowed to wear a long sleeve shirt under to cover them? is that allowed?

i understand that tattoos can be an issue in the workplace, but no one is suggestion im going to tattoo my face or neck or even hands either...

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
see and this is where i get more interested, remember im still learning the ropes. but how many places actually have a uniform with long sleeves that allows that to be covered? if your uniform shirt isn't long sleeved, are you allowed to wear a long sleeve shirt under to cover them? is that allowed?

i understand that tattoos can be an issue in the workplace, but no one is suggestion im going to tattoo my face or neck or even hands either...

Look at this way,lets say its down to three candidates all of whom have met the minimum qualifications and requirements for the job. Like it or not when it comes to a final three scenario where all are virtualy equal it really can become a "beauty contest". In a time when hundreds apply for a single EMS job why should you give your competition a leg up.

Employers want people that are going to be good representatives and present with a professional demeanor. Not that you cant have some ink and be professional but this is becoming a field where its almost impossible to find work. My advice would be if your ink free stay that way it might be one painless way you can improve your candidate status.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Were I hiring, I would see tattoos and the wearer's attitude towards them as a litmus test of their personality and attitude.

If you think visible tats are not professional, but you are planning on "sleeving", then I would question your reasoning abilities and maturity, depending upon your cultural background. (You aren't a Maori or Sarawak are you?).

PS: tats in the hair or obvious jail prison or gang tats would earn any applicant I was interested in a thorough background check.

I have jail house tats,never been to prison but may have done a stretch or two in LA County back in the day.

Everyone regardless of tats or no tats should have a complete bacround check and I believe most do.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Alot of guys I work with have full sleeves.

Its really not an issue for private ems.

But county departments and fire, its a big no no.