rules against tattoos?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
All of you should look up the assistant chief for the Compton Fire Department. He has pictures on Google.

You are basing the cultural opinion off of the story of 1 man?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

Maybe in Compton, that flys, because they are lucky the whole place isnt on fire all the time, or half the populations isnt actively shooting the other half

Exposed tatoos are not welcome in my neck of the woods, we just had a cop get fired because he got an arm sleeve, which is in direct violation of the department policy and he didnt check his manual

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The Compton violent crime rate has gone down, so it isn't quite that bad. But the vast majority of the population is under 60, so it doesn't surprise me if tattoos are more accepted.

You appear to have found the one major exception to the rule, congrats. Doesn't mean that it is still a good idea to get a full sleeve.

No cultural opinion on my part. I just wanted to point out how different places have different policies, like Chimpie noted earlier.

terrible one

Always wandering
No cultural opinion on my part. I just wanted to point out how different places have different policies, like Chimpie noted earlier.

Look what happened to LAFDs tattoo policies. Things can change anywhere at any time.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
to be completely honest, if i was getting another tattoo for fun i would say sure maybe im being a bit irresponsible a bit reckless. obviously work related issues and rules are something to consider. but i don't think theres anything wrong with getting a tattoo for something that genuinely means something to you, for something or someone that changed your life.

this is coming as a very good source of comparison for me, knowing the rules some departments have and others don't.. i had no idea.

it also makes me wonder how many of these people on this thread saying that tattoos are not the way to go, are the same people creating those rules..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Maybe in Compton, that flys, because they are lucky the whole place isnt on fire all the time, or half the populations isnt actively shooting the other half

Exposed tatoos are not welcome in my neck of the woods, we just had a cop get fired because he got an arm sleeve, which is in direct violation of the department policy and he didnt check his manual

Its an old post but if I were that cop I'd be at the state labor department filing for wrongful termination. That's discrimination, no if ands or buts about it. There's a lot of solutions to covering tattoos. I've got a sleeve and cover it. Most ask why I do and I respond that it's company policy.

As far as the CFD guy...I'm sure his tattoos were why he committed crimes... :rolleyes:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Its an old post but if I were that cop I'd be at the state labor department filing for wrongful termination. That's discrimination, no if ands or buts about it. There's a lot of solutions to covering tattoos. I've got a sleeve and cover it. Most ask why I do and I respond that it's company policy.

As far as the CFD guy...I'm sure his tattoos were why he committed crimes... :rolleyes:

IMO I do not think that is discrimination. He signed forms saying he would adhere to agency policy. He went against that. Just like the military, if you have tattoos in places they are not allowed you will not be allowed in, and you can't just cover them up. That agency was obviously strict about their policy, and followed through with it.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
I would be interested to hear this debate repeated in 15 or 20 years...

Let's try 2 years. I have my ring finger tatted, because wearing a ring is simply a danger to myself - my wedding ring is tungsten. My company policy states that I can't have anything exposed that is 'offensive' and I decided to dare the "other cultures" to find my dedication to my spouse to be offensive.

[turns out it's not, by the way, so far]

Several local EMS agencies have written policies about exposed tattoos and piercings and I can assure you those aren't followed to the letter of said policy.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I don't understand why it's an issue with tattoos, here in NYC, FDNY has no tattoo policy, both ems and fire, you csn have full sleeves and no one will say anything, hospitals, same I see guys with neck tattoos, even the privates don't care, I personally have two sleeves, but I guess because its nyc, every one has tattoos here from pd to ems to fire, thank god I don't live in some hick town qhere I can't have tattoos

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't understand why it's an issue with tattoos, here in NYC, FDNY has no tattoo policy, both ems and fire, you csn have full sleeves and no one will say anything, hospitals, same I see guys with neck tattoos, even the privates don't care, I personally have two sleeves, but I guess because its nyc, every one has tattoos here from pd to ems to fire, thank god I don't live in some hick town qhere I can't have tattoos
I work in the epitome of a hick town and we have no restrictions against tattoos. my old hospital in the city technically had a no visible tattoo policy... But I worked night shift and it was not followed at all

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I work in the epitome of a hick town and we have no restrictions against tattoos. my old hospital in the city technically had a no visible tattoo policy... But I worked night shift and it was not followed at all

I stand corrected. Awesome website by the way

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I stand corrected. Awesome website by the way
thank you! Lol and no worries I was just giving another perspective. it seems like even in the same areas the policies can be very different. I know in Odessa, about seventy miles from here, has a no visible tattoos policy fir fire.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
thank you! Lol and no worries I was just giving another perspective. it seems like even in the same areas the policies can be very different. I know in Odessa, about seventy miles from here, has a no visible tattoos policy fir fire.

Yeah they can even vary from dept to dept, I have sleeves sp I'm sticking with nyc, here even neck and hands tattoos are accepted haha:lol:

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
the average person may have trouble finding a job covered in ink, but i never thought it was such an issue for a paramedic of firefighter. until recently when i've been hearing more discussion about it.. can anyone shed some light on the situation, whether true or false, are tattoos such an issue when applying in certain states or counties, please shed any information you can. this is definitely an issue that worries me..

We really only care about those on the face/neck (growing up in cali I'm not terribly surprised by some face/neck tattoos, but some folks walk a fine line)...but given the right candidate we'd likely take them.

The professionalism argument is typically used by departments run by old people who used to have pretty awful views as to what was "professional" if we rewind the clock some. Whenever I hear that as an excuse I just shake my head.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
We really only care about those on the face/neck (growing up in cali I'm not terribly surprised by some face/neck tattoos, but some folks walk a fine line)...but given the right candidate we'd likely take them.

The professionalism argument is typically used by departments run by old people who used to have pretty awful views as to what was "professional" if we rewind the clock some. Whenever I hear that as an excuse I just shake my head.

That is true, I worked with medics who has long dreads, beards, tattoos and they looked sloppy but they came to be my fav medics to work with, they are so good at patient care, I judged them but I was wrong, where I work, we don't care what you look like, if you have what it takes and the experiance, you're hired

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My department says new recruits can't have any visible tattoos in PT uniform (shorts and t-shirt).

For us AOs (Ambulance Operators, single role EMTs) ours is a little more relaxed, none visible in a regular station uniform (I.e. pants and short sleeve button up shirt) Long sleeves and other methods of covering them up are not allowed either, you simply can't have the tatoo there to be eligible for hiring

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
What's funny is fire departments who don't allow tattoos, you're either in the station where no one can see you or at a fire or mva in turn out gear

Those chiefs need to get with the times