RN Help

redneckmedic

Forum Probie
So,.... start CNA classes the 14th of this month. Goal is to get out of the prehospital field (well, not completely, that's impossible haha) and move more towards hospital-based work. I know some places offer contract for tuition and exchange a work contract for x amount of years in return for payment of your tuition by the hospital/institution. Anybody know of any hospitals in Illinois that do this? What is the best way to find out this information? Any help anybody can provide would be a great help. Thanks! :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Call and talk to hospital HR departments. They would be the ones to ask.

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing CNA if your goal is nursing? It's very much a lateral move instead of a step up. In fact, given the type of work they do, a lot of us would view it as a step down.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I had a few classmates who had been CNA's then made RN

But usually you get stuck as a CNA and never go back.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
R

redneckmedic

Forum Probie
I would love to jump straight to RN but I can't get enough financial aid and am trying to avoid loans. I don't see any other option other than that besides working somewhere for 2-3 years in exchange for my education. I will do whatever I have to do to get where I want to be. I'm happy in the field but I just think I'm more suited for work in the ER. Honestly the money is a big part of it. I love what I do and don't regret choosing EMS but that doesn't necessarily pay the bills. I really think I'm supposed to do something greater and nursing is where I should start. My ultimate goal is a trauma surgeon handling emergency surgery cases for ER patients.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are more than a few nurses here but I can't help but think the people at http://allnurses.com/ might be able to give you a bit more information...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I will do whatever I have to do to get where I want to be.

Then take out a loan and go get the education you want. Work while you're in school if you must (not easy, but definitely doable). Nobody wants loans, but that doesn't stop the majority of college students from getting them. Get your RN/MD and pay them off with your new-found higher salary.

Last edited by a moderator:

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure you need your CNA. In my area I have worked in the ER & Adult ICU as an EMT-I then as a Medic. When I went to ICU I told the EMT-B/ CNA training me I could intubate but did not know how to bath a pt on a ventilator. The staff was very cool about teaching me & quickly discover then appriciated my IV skills. In alot of facilities they have a clause in thier job descriptions to cover military medical training & some HR dept apply EMT training to that. With that said I had to challenge out of a CNA class before I could start the clinical portion of Nursing school mind you this was after I was a medic with 4 yrs of hospital experiences. It is common place now for ADN & BSN programs to require CNA first. This is similar to all Medic were EMTs at some point. In my ER you can't be an ER Tech without an EMT-B licenses. Oh yeah ER Techs suture as well. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Work as an EMT-I and transition to P? Then do the P to RN bridge program?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Good in theory.

Many states wont recognize bridge programs such as Excelsior, though.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Good in theory.

Many states wont recognize bridge programs such as Excelsior, though.
California is one such state. The BRN won't recognize bridge programs if they're run like Excelsior. They might allow an RN to endorse their license on a case-by-case basis though. New grad? Not a chance. California does have a couple programs that have P-RN bridge courses, but they're basically 1/2 semester shorter than the regular programs. You take a summer semester course and enter 2nd semester RN school.

If you're looking to do both RN and Paramedic, get the EMT and perhaps do some CNA stuff, but get started on finishing the RN prerequisites and go for the RN program itself and challenge NREMT-P later. This way you'll only have to go through school once, not twice and it'll be a LOT less expensive in the long run.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Second Akulahawk.

He and I have an ace in the hole, too. We can drive over and talk to the BRN. Doing it via mail is like a yoyo on a rubber band.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Where in Illinois are you located?

I know that at my hospital, if ur an employee such as say an ER tech, ( which u only need ur -B for)
Or a PCT which they req. a CNA lic. For they will do tuition reimbursement up to $3500/year

Another program available is called MEEP, which if u attend their nursing school have a gpa of 3.0 or greater, for each year u agree to work, you get $4000, for a total of $12,000 (3 years) .

The two cant be combined.

Lmk if u have any other questions. I have a lot more info :)

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
California is one such state. The BRN won't recognize bridge programs if they're run like Excelsior. They might allow an RN to endorse their license on a case-by-case basis though. New grad? Not a chance. California does have a couple programs that have P-RN bridge courses, but they're basically 1/2 semester shorter than the regular programs. You take a summer semester course and enter 2nd semester RN school.

If you're looking to do both RN and Paramedic, get the EMT and perhaps do some CNA stuff, but get started on finishing the RN prerequisites and go for the RN program itself and challenge NREMT-P later. This way you'll only have to go through school once, not twice and it'll be a LOT less expensive in the long run.
Akulahawk,
Saw this post. I didn't know that challenging NREMT-P was possible, even for an RN. What do you know? I am curious.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Akulahawk,
Saw this post. I didn't know that challenging NREMT-P was possible, even for an RN. What do you know? I am curious.
Basically what you would have to do is get your RN license, probably take an EMT course or a P "refresher course" and that would probably make you eligible to sit for the exam. Here's the tough part: you would have to also arrange a 480 hour Paramedic internship with a Preceptor and make at least 40 "ALS Contacts". The California EMSA is very specific about what constitutes an "ALS Contact" for purposes of getting licensed. The process is there and most states that I'm aware of have a similar process through which an RN may be recognized as equivalent to a Paramedic for prehospital care purposes. It's well known that RN's have a fairly good education into patient assessment and care... but they don't get one whit of education in how to be safe, how to function in the field, or how to perform some of the skills Paramedics are taught.

Seriously, start with talking to the EMS Authority and then to your local EMS Agency about the process as well as they may know which of the local ALS providers may be willing to handle the Internship part of the process.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Thanks, bro. I just replied to a post of yours on ALLNURSES concerning some $hit talk from BR157 about EMTLIFE being anti-nurse. You catching it?