RN first then medic, or medic then RN???

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I'm 20 going on 21. I want to be a medic and also want my RN. I currently work as a emt b in a 911/off company in so cal. I know medic is super competitive where I am at also. If I do RN first I can start pre courses in January. So, from a paramedics point if view, should I get my RN first then my medic? Or get my medic first then RN?

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I'm 20 going on 21. I want to be a medic and also want my RN. I currently work as a emt b in a 911/off company in so cal. I know medic is super competitive where I am at also. If I do RN first I can start pre courses in January. So, from a paramedics point if view, should I get my RN first then my medic? Or get my medic first then RN?

911/ift

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Odds are, whichever one you choose, you will not do the other until 5-10 years later...lot changes in that window.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
RN is, by far, a better long-term career. I would suggest getting your RN stuff going NOW and only look at stepping up to Paramedic AFTER your prerequisites are done for RN. The simple reason for this is that P school takes about a year, and doing RN and P school at the same time will be impossible. Getting your RN prerequisites done before doing anything else will make P school easier to do and doing P school and the RN prerequisites will also likely prove to be impossible, from a scheduling standpoint.

Once you're done with the prerequisites, you then will have to look at your finances and your timeline for entry to RN school. If you're accepted to RN school right away, do that first. If it looks like you'll have to wait at least a year before entry to RN school, do P during the wait period. Occasionally you may earn some additional "merit" points for the Paramedic License.

I would generally suggest the following path for you: EMT-B -> RN prerequisite courses -> RN school -> Paramedic License Challenge. Since you're in California, you have the challenge option where you (ideally) would do a Paramedic refresher, do the written exam, then a Paramedic internship and you'd be licensed as Paramedic. That should be cheaper than going through an entire Paramedic program.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Odds are, whichever one you choose, you will not do the other until 5-10 years later...lot changes in that window.
Very true... a LOT does change during that 5 year window. It "only" took me 3 years to actually decide to become an RN and another 6 years to get everything done. Taking the prerequisite refreshers one semester at a time and then applying to RN school for 8 consecutive semesters before I got in were the major factors in the completion time.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I "decided" to pursue nursing in 1999 I think, started courses here and there at the local community college. Then signed up for the self study stuff over the next few years...donated some money there (hell of a business model they got). Then in 2008 I knocked out the sciences at the local Community College, applied and was accepted to the Medic to RN transition at same school....then, went into business for myself.

Someday...I might finish that nursing. I hate unfinished things!

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
RN is, by far, a better long-term career. I would suggest getting your RN stuff going NOW and only look at stepping up to Paramedic AFTER your prerequisites are done for RN. The simple reason for this is that P school takes about a year, and doing RN and P school at the same time will be impossible. Getting your RN prerequisites done before doing anything else will make P school easier to do and doing P school and the RN prerequisites will also likely prove to be impossible, from a scheduling standpoint.

Once you're done with the prerequisites, you then will have to look at your finances and your timeline for entry to RN school. If you're accepted to RN school right away, do that first. If it looks like you'll have to wait at least a year before entry to RN school, do P during the wait period. Occasionally you may earn some additional "merit" points for the Paramedic License.

I would generally suggest the following path for you: EMT-B -> RN prerequisite courses -> RN school -> Paramedic License Challenge. Since you're in California, you have the challenge option where you (ideally) would do a Paramedic refresher, do the written exam, then a Paramedic internship and you'd be licensed as Paramedic. That should be cheaper than going through an entire Paramedic program.

In California you can challenge the test??? I didn't know that. I was think same path but just wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I "decided" to pursue nursing in 1999 I think, started courses here and there at the local community college. Then signed up for the self study stuff over the next few years...donated some money there (hell of a business model they got). Then in 2008 I knocked out the sciences at the local Community College, applied and was accepted to the Medic to RN transition at same school....then, went into business for myself.

Someday...I might finish that nursing. I hate unfinished things!

Went in business for yourself?? And random question, but do you work in flight?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Flight depends on the service. For my area in SoCal all flight teams are made up of a pilot, flight medic, and flight RN. The only exception being Highway Patrol who can have a medic or just an EMT.

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Flight depends on the service. For my area in SoCal all flight teams are made up of a pilot, flight medic, and flight RN. The only exception being Highway Patrol who can have a medic or just an EMT.

I see, I got to see CHP flight team few times at a rave I worked over in San Bernardino. Those guys are prettyyy cool haha. Didn't know it can be just a emt too though.

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain

If I was to have a waiting period between pre courses and nursing school I'll get my medic inbetween that time, but If I was too go straight into nursing school, and get my RN and then challenge the medic test how will feild internship work if I was to take a paramedic refresher course?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As a medic? Or nurse? And question about flight, can a flight nurse respond to 911 calls also or is it just a flight medic? The city I work in uses mercy air alot but I never got the chance to speak to them

I cannot assist you with these questions. California is a foreign country.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For CHP yes. So if they are only staffed with an EMT either the fire medic or the ambulance medic will have to fly in with the patient.

San Bernardino also has a flight team thru the Sheriff department. It is staff with medics, nurses, and/or doctors.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If I was to have a waiting period between pre courses and nursing school I'll get my medic inbetween that time, but If I was too go straight into nursing school, and get my RN and then challenge the medic test how will feild internship work if I was to take a paramedic refresher course?
That's the thing... You'll have to find a program willing to sponsor you for a field internship. Since I got my Paramedic the traditional way, I am unable to provide much guidance here. The process exists in state law/regulation and I've seen it in some county EMS regulations/policies, so there has to be at least a few programs that offer this, just probably not well advertised as that market would be somewhat small.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN

What Hawk said. You're lucky you can challenge in Cali. Florida is doing away with that in January.

onrope

Forum Crew Member
As if the waters were not muddied enough I'll throw in a few comments here. RN is a much better career and unless you plan on becoming a FF/PM there is no career for private PMs, just a paycheck and social security (if its still around) when you retire after 45 years on an ambulance because you get paid so little. The shortest PM school in California is PTI which is 6 months and requires a fire academy is not very highly regarded anywhere outside of LA. Most are one year. That is a year of your life wasted not getting pre reqs done if you decide to be an RN. The great thing about California is an RN can challenge PM licensure with basically a skills day and a standard internship, skipping the entire didactic phase.

Secondly to clear up some confusion on air ambulances. The standard configuration is Pilot, RN, PM. With this team you can get RSI, chest tubes, pumps, vents, etc and all kinds of advanced procedures and meds that Medics in California cannot do. CHP runs their patrol ships as ALS air ambulances with flight officer Paramedics. The thing is the A-star as-350 b3 is very small. In fact you can't take a Pt thats over 6ft because its so cramped, also they are not the best resource for a truly critical PT or one that needs a procedure that Medics cannot do, like RSI. Another factor is only one provider in a very cramped area, they are better for hoists or lower acuity traumas. They are all great guys but you must understand their limitations and where they fit into the response matrix. SBSO Air rescue is a very unique program. Suffice to say sometimes you may get a no **** Deputy Sheriff MD or it could be an AEMT. Yes they do exist is ICEMA, right now only in the Sheriffs department.

The bottom line is you already have an EMT job, you could be working towards hours for PA school or knock out pre reqs for nursing, get your BSN and challenge for your Medic License. If you want to become a FF/PM forget all that and get in PM school ASAP and test everywhere.