Rma for minor via cell phone (nj)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
fairly clear cut, if they dont want treatment then I am not going to treat. turn them over to LEO as an unaccompanied minor and let them deal with who to give the kid to. its a stand-by so you have plenty of time to work that out. I have called the agency that is the LEO for the area the parents are in and had them visit the parents to verify they are infact the person I am speaking with on the phone. as a note our phones are recorded and cataloged so it can be referenced later.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
As a New Jersey EMT, I can tell you that I have taken many refusal via telephone. The parent stating they are the parent and the child confirming, is all that we need as proof. It is not as if we verify with birth certificates if they were on scene. If a viable person, such as police officer, is on scene, who can sign as a witness, great. We also call via taped line. Many times with sporting events, the coaches/other parents have medical waivers to make medical decisions for the players. Either way, while they might not have legal custody, they are the current responsible individual.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just last week I had an MVA with 6 minor patients. Got 6 refusals. All over the phone.

No issue. To the OP. Before questioning your superiors and making it seem like they are being idiots. Maybe you should be sure of what you are talking about.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
This all makes me very thankful for Virginia's 14 year old age of consent. The only issue that causes is when a kid older than 14 wants a resolution different than the parent, but it can usually be worked out.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I just have a quick question; if the refusal is over the phone, how can you tell that's the paitents legal guardian?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I just have a quick question; if the refusal is over the phone, how can you tell that's the paitents legal guardian?

It should be pretty easy in most cases. Dob, description, full names, address, parents / relatives names and phone numbers, where they work, what they do. That is just to name a few.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Let's say you couldn't get ahold of a parent.. or the kid refuses to give you a number? Did you plan on taking them against their will? I'd love to see how that would have played out for you.
better question: if you leave an obviously sick or injured minor, and don't transport him or her to a doctor, and he or she suffers ill effects, and the parents sue and say "he can't legally refuse treatment, why didn't you help our child? Now my lawyers are going to have a field day and you are going to pay us a six figure settlement and lose your job over it."

I've taken RMAs over the phone (in NJ). it's generally frowned upon (better to do them in person), but I've done it.

and for those of you who are asking abotu verifying identities, do you ask for ID every time a guardian signs off? what about proof of actual parenthood? if they have different last names, are you going to ask for a birth certificate, or some other verification that they are in fact the persons legal and or biological guardian/? do you see where i'm going with this?

as long as you make a reasonable effort, you should be fine.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I'm in NJ too and have seen this happen a few times. I honestly don't like the concept. If there is no parent standing in front of me telling me face to face that he/she does not want a transport in regards to their kid, I am going to want to transport that kid (if they have an injury that suggests medical care is needed). I'm not going to do it due to laws and restrictions, but it would definitely be in my mind.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
If I were to take the RMA over the phone I would, as others have said, ask the parent to confirm info such as their name, address, and phone number, as well as their child's DOB. I would also include in my report the phone number I made contact with to speak to the parent and the time. If possible, I might also have LEO on scene speak with the person on the phone and sign as a witness. FWIW, I'm also in NJ.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
My concern is treatment in the first place.

Was there an immediate life-threatening injury? If not, wouldn't you have to obtain consent from the parents via telephone to do the ice and whatever?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
My concern is treatment in the first place.

Was there an immediate life-threatening injury? If not, wouldn't you have to obtain consent from the parents via telephone to do the ice and whatever?

Sorry, didn't realize how old this thread was. You can disregard.