Ride alongs

JanetDoe

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone. = )
Im an EMT-B student about to take my registry...just need to get my ride alongs done. Im pretty nervous and must admit I might be stalling a bit.
Anywho, my question is are there any items I should bring with me or might be handy to have? Other than the required items that school told us to bring? Anything at all?
Im most likely going to do them at Schaefer in Pomona,CA.

GJMEDIC

Forum Ride Along
Donuts!!!
I would make sure my uniform is clean and wrinkle free with my boots shined. Also if you have a stehoscope bring it. Show up 15 minutes early. Ask a lot of questions and be genuinely interested in whats going on. Don't worry, you will do well. Remember everybody loves a donut, its a cheap and easy way to make a new friend.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't talk in the morning until I have coffee and a doughnut or a bagel.

OP
OP
JanetDoe

JanetDoe

Forum Crew Member
Hey! Not a bad idea! Thanks guys. Ive never been to this station before (obviously) and I dont want to be rude by excluding anyone so how many should I bring? Or about how many employees is it typical to see on one shift? Might be an impossible question I guess but ballpark ? Yes I do have a stethoscope. I have a cuff and a pulse ox as well, should I bring those?
Last question... I just got a pair of Magnum response boots but ive never owned a boot that would be shined lol so humor me here, how do you shine your boots?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was kidding, sorry tough to relay inflections in text. You'd have to bring upwards of 4 dozen doughnuts to give each day crew member one where I'm at lol.

Bring yourself, a good attitude, willingness to learn and a sense of humor and you'll do alright.

No...don't bring your cuff or pulse ox.

Boots...I'm sure some would say I do it wrong. I buff some polish on then brush it out with a brush. Makes me shiny, works for me. If you want a better explanation than that YouTube is your friend or one of the military guys on here can probably help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JanetDoe

JanetDoe

Forum Crew Member
So dont bring doughnuts? Lol I thought that was sweet, I really dont mind. At first I thought of possibly being labeled "brown nose" but didnt think that would apply if im there for a ride along as opposed to interview.
* please excuse any ignorance, stupid questions or babbling lol ive been waiting to get to this point for quite a while and have more than just my EMT-B credentials riding on it. Im far past eager & excited, might even say giddy. I just cant wait to get to the point of having an established and dedicated career in emergency medicine & civil service so the first big step into the field..I just dont have words for. = )

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
Confidence. Bring confidence. Nothing is worse than a ride along that lacks confidence. You're expected to be nervous, but there's a fine line between being nervous, and just a total lack of confidence.

Bring donuts. A dozen. One. Bringing donuts as an EMT ride along seems to have become standard practice.haha You're obviously not hire a catering service so everyone gets one. It's just a nice gesture, intended for the crew that you'll be with all day. If people complain about not getting one, they're usually messing aground, and you can use that as an opportunity to mess around with them.

Have a sense of humor, talk, ask questions, and you'll fit in quite well.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
You will be doing field work, so even in the military our standard for field boots was very similar to the OP, just get a can of KIWI Black. If you want to spend the money get one of the polish applicator brushes, and a shining brush. Just put some polish on the entire leather of the boot and then use the big boot brush to buff it to a shine. No need to get the glass finish on a pair of boots that more than likely will be scuffed up and have any number of bodily fluids on if you are at a busy station. If you need to get the glass shine on for an interview or parade drop me a line and I can give ya the whole class on it that we used to have to give all the privates in the army. :) Good luck and ask lots of questions, it is the only way you will learn!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If you need to get the glass shine on for an interview or parade drop me a line and I can give ya the whole class on it that we used to have to give all the privates in the army. :) Good luck and ask lots of questions, it is the only way you will learn!

Just sent a PM asking for that, if you don't mind good sir

OP
OP
JanetDoe

JanetDoe

Forum Crew Member
Great advice ivan thank you! All great advice! I cant wait till Im experienced enough to contribute to the forum!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Great advice ivan thank you! All great advice! I cant wait till Im experienced enough to contribute to the forum!

Ha. We have no experience standards for contributing here. Heck, if we had any standards at all it would be a quiet and boring place ;)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ha. We have no experience standards for contributing here. Heck, if we had any standards at all it would be a quiet and boring place ;)

Hey speak for yourself lol I'm amazing and could entertain everyone myself ;)