Resume question

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
I am in the process of making up a resume for the position of Flight Paramedic. I talked to an individual on another site with alot of background and knowledge when it comes to the business, hiring, position, etc. The individual really sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I sent him my resume and he told me I needed to tidy it up a bit. Some of things he told me to leave out was Certs that pertained to the Firefighting side and awards. He said managers are not interested in those things. Only pertinent materials to the position of Flight Medic should be in there. Another one of things was my employment record. I first starting working at the place I am at now back in 2000, I left in May of 2003 for 4 mon cuz I thought the grass was greaner on the other side. I came back 4 mon later as a Part timer until I got promoted to FT in 04 and I've worked there since. Now he told me to leave out the stint at the other place since I was only there 4 mon and it's a fire dept job and therefore does not apply anyways. He then told me that a resume is only for recent and applicable material to the position applying for. If they ask for a CV then tell your life story. I feel weird leaving out the other job cuz I feel like I might be hiding something.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I did the math the other day and in the past 9 years, I have worked for 5 different ambulance services, 1 hospital and worked 2 other place s. Although I don't have any intention of leaving my current employer of 5 years, I have applied for a supervisor spot and also was hired as a paid on call firefighter.

Do I put down all 8 jobs? Nope. I put down the jobs that are pertinent to the job I am applying for. when I applied for a Sup spot, I used my current employer, my fire department, my previous EMS job and my boy scouts joBS. Even at that, its too much. A choppy resume says a lot about a candidate and a4 month lapse isn't worth mentioning.

For a flight job, emphasis the things that make you look like a leader. They know you have ACLS and PALS and CPR. They really want to know if you have a critical care course or something that sets you apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Sounds like he gave you some decent advice. As stated highlight your Paramedic stuff and leave the Firefighter III and Rescue Tech stuff out. I would group all your certs into a "Professional Development" category starting with your EMT-P and working down to your BS little certs.

I would also leave out a job you jump ship to go to, just to come back. To some people they make look at that as you are willing to roll out when times aren't great. Not exactly what they want to see.

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like he gave you some decent advice. As stated highlight your Paramedic stuff and leave the Firefighter III and Rescue Tech stuff out. I would group all your certs into a "Professional Development" category starting with your EMT-P and working down to your BS little certs.

I would also leave out a job you jump ship to go to, just to come back. To some people they make look at that as you are willing to roll out when times aren't great. Not exactly what they want to see.

Ok I was just checking. I did not doubt him at all, it's just it's been burned into my brain that if you leave a job out and they find out, they can let you go and I was afraid of that happening. It WAS almost 9 years ago so I am sure it's safe lol. Yea he had me put all the pertinent certs in a Professional Development group also. My resume was a mess now that I look back at a copy of it before he helped me!!!!! The guy is really impressive and I am really glad I got the chance to speak and chat with him.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Ok I was just checking. I did not doubt him at all, it's just it's been burned into my brain that if you leave a job out and they find out, they can let you go and I was afraid of that happening.

^^ I think is more for background checks and applications than RESUMES... It's kinda assumed that on a resume you really want to highlight pertinent positions and showcase your best and most relevant experience.

I'm a CPRW (resume writer) who specializes in helping my EMS students with their resumes, if you'd like you can PM me and I'll take a look at it for you to fine-tune or get a second opinion on some styling/layout/verbiage/tense and grammatical things if you'd like.

When it comes to resumes, more eyeballs = better! Everyone's advice isn't equal, but generally the more eyeballs you can get on it before you actually submit is great.

Cheers,
bean

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
There's also a kinda weird FF versus EMS mentality that I've seen in EMS. I haven't been around it long enough to say much more than that but it might be part of the reason he said leave them out.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I think all job experience is relevant, it shows your in demand and versatile. Also to leave out positions would cause gaps, albeit 4 months is not much of a gap. I might leave out the 4 month job as it may raise questions as to the short duration. With that said I see nothing wrong with including all your work history. For a EMS person to thumb their nose at a FF is silly and shows immaturity, not sure I would want to work for such a person.

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
Ok. I worked for 2 months as a PT Flight Medic back in 2006 and I had to resign due to where I work at the Fire Dept. At the time 3 guys got hired at another Dept and we had mandatory OT and there were times that I got held over so I couldn't make it to my scheduled shift that night at the FP gig. So it became a problem. Now do I leave that off my resume becasue it's such short term, or leave it on there since it shows "some" flight experinece and just explain it if I get a job interview?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Thats a tough call man. Is the Flight Paramedic position you are looking to apply for part-time, or are you looking to leave the fire department for a full-time flight spot?

If you are planning on leaving the fire department then you could include it, but they are certainly going to ask about it based off the short work history. I think if I were you and going after another part-time flight position I would omit it, because the hiring vendor is going to look at the fire department as a scheduling conflict, which obviously it is/was at your last flight job. They want someone dependable, and most places want someone who is flexible. If you can't be both of those because of a call back at fire dept or manditory O.T. well then my friend I believe they will look else where. As with your previous questions think about everything from the employers eyes and ask yourself would I hire this person. You will be able to answer alot of your own questions.

Cheers,

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Well If you are currently working a full time career fire department I ask why would you want to leave that?

But if flying full time is really what you would like to do then I would include it, and full prepare to state why you left, and then reaffirm that you would like to leave the fire department and fly full time. Therefore you will have no conflict of interest in the scheduling department.