Resume help!

justinjacc

Forum Ride Along
Hopefully I put this in the right forum. I need help with my resume. I have never really needed to make one but was going to apply for a few places online and they require a resume. Can anyone give me a critique or some guidance. Thank you!

NAME HERE

address | (H) 444.555.3333 (C) 432.344.6543 | emailadress.com

Summary of Qualifications
· An innovative, reliable, enthusiastic Emergency Medical Technician with a positive attitude who has outstanding customer service, problem solving skills, is detailed and result oriented, with proven abilities to perform well in fast-paced high pressure environments, can comfortably multi-task, and works well independently or as a member of a team.

Certifications
· NREMT Certified EMT-Basic

· Connecticut Certified EMT-Basic

· AHA Healthcare Provider CPR & AED

· IS-100, IS-200, IS-700

· Wilderness First Responder

Experience
emt-basic | xxxxxxxx volunteer ambulance| february 2016-Present
(info)

Floor Supervisor | Eastern Mountain Sports | decemeber 2013-june 2014

· Responsible for Accounts Payable & Receivable, entering Sales Orders, mailing invoices, maintaining inventory records, answering customer service phone calls, responding to warranty claims, and creating shipping labels through UPS & FedEx.

Assistant Manager | The exchange | September 2010-October 2013

Provided extensive customer service and conflict resolution, managed a staff of 10 team members, motivated employees to meet sales goals, preformed daily back office procedures, maintained accurate inventory records, complied with corporate policies, and merchandised store to plan-o-grams.

Education

Emergency medical technician | 2015 | school attended , town, ct

Wilderness First responder | 2014 | wilderness medical institute, charelmont, MA

general studies diploma | 2004 | xxxxxxxxxx High school, Boston, MA

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Did you copy and paste that? There are quite a few errors on there.

OP
OP
justinjacc

justinjacc

Forum Ride Along
yeah just pasted it... just a rough draft I know there are errors and things to correct it was just a quick type up. I am wondering more about information I should add, leave out change etc...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Tip #1 Write it correctly the first time. It will save you time and eliminate the chance of forgetting to go back and correct something.
Tip #2 Names of months are capitalized.
Tip #3 Names of businesses, schools and cities are capitalized.
Tip #4 Use bullet points to separate achievements (it will help fill up the page more, among other reasons).
Tip #5 Be consistent when using capitalization (EMT-Basic, emt-basic, Emergency medical technician).
Tip #6 Don't capitalize words that shouldn't be capitalized (Sales Orders)

One of your daily tasks as an EMT or Medic is to write reports, including narratives. Hiring managers will look at the errors you made and quickly dismiss you as it gives the appearance that you don't know how to write correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justinjacc

justinjacc

Forum Ride Along
hmmm, In my word document all of my info is correctly capitalized and correct, I don't know if it was in my formatting that made it all change when I pasted it. I am sorry about that!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
H
Summary of Qualifications
· An innovative, reliable, enthusiastic Emergency Medical Technician with a positive attitude who has outstanding customer service, problem solving skills, is detailed and result oriented, with proven abilities to perform well in fast-paced high pressure environments, can comfortably multi-task, and works well independently or as a member of a team.

There are too many superlatives in here. Condense this into a single sentence (I realize as it written it is a single sentence, however grammatically it is not).

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And be careful of dangling participles.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
This isn't exactly what you asked about, but it's important: You made lots of unsubstantiated claims in the first paragraph. I understand why -- it's part of the process -- but if I were interviewing you, I'd probably start by asking questions like, "Give me an example of how you can be innovative" or "Tell me about some difficult problems you solved" or "What proven abilities do you have and how were they proved?" I'm just saying be ready to answer those kinds of questions, or delete some of the hyperbole.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
A bullet pointed list for you qualifications will be much more clear and be easier to read. The shorter formatting will also help to eliminate the extra fluff. Personally I put education before job experience, I feel like it flows better. You list your licenses and then the schooling to back them up.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally I put education before job experience, I feel like it flows better. You list your licenses and then the schooling to back them up.
I always place my qualification categories in most-to-least; if I have 10 years of related experience and an AS degree, putting my schooling first will seem out of place.

I have three main categories:
- Experience
- Education and Training (including Certifications)
- Community Service
These may be listed in a different order based on the position I am applying for. I also bookend these with an Objective up top and Interests/Hobbies at the end.

Last edited:

MrJones

Iconoclast
Tip #1 Write it correctly the first time. It will save you time and eliminate the chance of forgetting to go back and correct something....

One of your daily tasks as an EMT or Medic is to right reports....

53334658.jpg