Respritory emergancies

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
So on monday we did respritory emergancies (sorry my spelling isn't to good) and I forgot to ask my teacher this. During the pneumonia part of the chapter it gave what to look for in the patient. So my question is can the patient not present any signs of pneumonia besides the chest pain (not asking for medical advice)

Sent from my Desire HD

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ever hear of "walking pneumonia"?

Anjel

Forum Angel
They can just show signs and symptoms of a cold.

Not necessarily chest pain.

And just for future references it's Respiratory Emergency.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I know your spelling isn't good, but for future reference it is respiratory emergency.
Now, on to the pneumonia. Of course the patient could present other symptoms that don't include chest pain, heck, the patient may not even complain of chest pain. Other common symptoms include coughing, fever, SOB elevated RR, it can be confused with other respiratory conditions like COPD and asthma in some cases, so remember to study up on those also. Use your stethoscope to listen for anything, especially crackles. And use the O2 saturation as a tool not your patient, it can be helpful but only when used properly.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Can't say that I have. I always thought that pneumonia patients had a productive cough and had a hard time breathing

Sent from my Desire HD

Nope I've had "walking pneumonia" it eventually gets worse though

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope I've had "walking pneumonia" it eventually gets worse though

Not always.

To the OP, two words: spell check. You don't have to be good at spelling if your computer is for you. ;)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
It doesn't sound like your class is very in depth and as such, probably uses a lot of 'absolutes'. Be wary of anyone who says things like, "Diseases x always presents with symptom y", "X Patients never have sign Y", or, "Disease x presents with the following 4 symptoms (all of these and only these)". There will inevitably be more to it than they're saying.

There is no certainty in anything, let alone healthcare.