Religion in the forum

350chevy

Forum Probie
I have a quick question for administration. Are we, in any way shape or form, allowed to discuss religion in the forums? I would like to share my views and beliefs but don't want to offend anyone.

8jimi8

CFRN
Probably the best idea is to find a religious forum, people come here to read about EMS. Go ahead and test it out.. Put up a thread on religion and see what kind of replies you get.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am in no way affiliated with administration, but i wouldn't suggest it.

Tossing out a topic like that to the type of personalities attracted to EMS, medicine, and other disciplines frequented by people here can only result in a handful of outcomes.

Some will politely agree

Some will politely disagree

Your beliefs maybe shaken in a considerable way by people who do not agree.

You certainly will not be likely to convert anyone here.

The thread will turn ugly, get locked and maybe even somebody will get banned.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Tossing out a topic like that to the type of personalities attracted to EMS, medicine, and other disciplines frequented by people here can only result in a handful of outcomes.

Some will politely agree

Excellent summary! I am pretty curious to hear what he has to say, though.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Religion has been discussed when it is a conversation about religion and how it sometimes affects patient care (JW's and blood products for example). As for sharing just to share, probably not a good idea. Like Vene said it would end up leading nowhere good fast.

8jimi8

CFRN
Thusly we unveil private messaging! Just to mention, I'm all for discussion; however, I realistically agree with Vene.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
As Aidey pointed out, we have allowed, and continue to allow, discussion of religion (and politics for that matter) only insofar as they pertain to EMS.

We do not allow general purpose religious or political threads because they pretty much end up as Veneficus described. When a person feels their belief is being ridiculed or attacked, they forget our Primary Rule of "Be Polite", and the personal attacks start.

EMSrush

Forum Captain

Some will politely agree

The types of personalities attracted to EMS? I have NO IDEA what you're talking about! :p

18G

Paramedic
I don't see it as a bad idea to discuss religion here. Some providers have a strong faith and may find it comforting to discuss things they encounter in EMS with others of faith. Some departments have EMS or Fire chaplains to assist personnel.

If your not religious then don't participate in the conversation. I wouldn't tell someone they could not discuss their faith. If posts become inflammatory then close it just like other threads.

Just my 0.02.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A thread on various cultural/ethnic differences and how to handle ourselves with these pts would be a good thread. There are college courses that address these issues.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
A thread on various cultural/ethnic differences and how to handle ourselves with these pts would be a good thread. There are college courses that address these issues.

It's called anthropology ;) you could spend a lifetime studying it.

It also has multiple subdisciplines that you can get a 2/4/6 or 8 year degree in.

Shameless plug:

Every medical agency should have an anthropologist on call, if not on staff.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It's called anthropology ;) you could spend a lifetime studying it.

It also has multiple subdisciplines that you can get a 2/4/6 or 8 year degree in.

Shameless plug:

Every medical agency should have an anthropologist on call, if not on staff.

I know, I was just commenting that many nursing programs have a class that educates on various cultural differences, and how to treat them with respect to these differences. Anthroplogy for nurses, I suppose.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And that type of thread would be allowed

Last edited by a moderator:

emt_irl

Forum Captain
im a man of science not faith...
and ems is sciene related so guess thats faith in the trash lol

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
I once took a class called "diversity in the work place" which I thought was going to be a BS class about how mean white people are,

turns out it was one of the best classes I ever took. It was actually about working with immigrants, 1st and 2nd generation americans from different cultures from around the world.

It was so eye opening to understand like how with asian decents they will want to speak to the highest educated (or in our case ranked) person avail, and while the man does the talking, grandma gives the ok for you to be there.

But it does look good on my resume to have under edcuation that class listed.

now back to the OP
You can try it, but dont be offended if it doesnt go the way you want.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Dear 350 Chevy,

If I run into you on the street and by some twist of fate EMS comes up as a subject, perhaps I'd suggest we go over to the local coffee spot (or worse) and share some talk. If you turn the conversation to anything with a whiff of sharing your religious beliefs OUT OF THE CONTEXT OF EMS, then as quickly as humanly possible, and perhaps not so nicely, I will exit.

Perhaps I'd be interested AFTER I get to know more about you and EMS. But at just a few posts, you may as well have knocked on my door and asked if the great Ishkabibble has saved my soul!

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
Well the only thing I'm gettin at here is that I don't try to push what I believe on somebody else. Either you believe it or you don't, and if you don't that's fine by me. So I am keeping this post to a minimum and if you'd like to discuss anything I say here feel free to PM me.
Basically what I believe is that God gives us everything we have, and everything happens for a reason. I believe this is a calling for me and this is how I am to glorify His name. Yall msg me if you wanna talk about this any further but I'm not going to influence anybody else because that just isn't right.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
but I'm not going to influence anybody else because that just isn't right.

But isn't this exactly what you are doing? Trying to entice or encourage others to talk to you about your beliefs...those of the same beliefs as you already have their network...if they want more online contact they will seek an appropriate forum.

It is when one thinks they have the "only" universal truth and desire to share it that people get such disdain for people who share their beliefs uninvited. You truth may not be the same as my truth so why do you presume yours to be any more truthful than mine?

It is best to keep these matters to oneself...but if that happened, then certain belief systems would quickly die out and that is simply bad for business.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll keep religion out of the workplace, but if a patient asks me to pray with them, or minister to them, i'll do that too, but only if asked. If a patient on their deathbed asks me to tell them about Jesus, they have just just bumped me out of my role as an EMT and fully into my role as a disciple of Christ.

That said, usually we don't get the chance to talk to patients on their deathbeds in any meaningful way, but its possible. Otherwise religious talk should stay out of the workplace...people don't generally call EMS for religious advice, and I would hate to dissuade anyone from using our services.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Like 350chevy, I don't try to push my beliefs on anyone else. I don't even mention them directly unless specifically asked. I'm not even sure if what I believe is right or wrong, so how can I try to convince someone else that I'm right or they're wrong? If someone tries to argue their beliefs with me, though, well it probably comes as no surprise to any of you that I'm usually happy to argue right back, if that's what they want. This kind of thing usually ends up with me quoting definitions of words such as "know", "believe/belief", "proof", and "faith", and usually winds up in a protracted stalemate with both of us thinking the other is an unreasonable idiot.