Relaxation methods

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I just looking to the community here to find out what others do in there down time to take their minds off of work or just to relax. My own personal relaxation/Meditation is to play music (and no its not the radio).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Very important question.

Go get involved as a volunteer in your community away from intense EMS. You can dictate your level of involvement, and you will need a good frequent prn ad lib dose of positive reality to keep your feet on the ground and stop checking eveyone for "startable" veins. You will also meet some good people that way!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i would tell you...but i don't want to purger myself. i read Stuart Woods novels...Stone Barrington series in particular.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
In case of acute stress:
Inhale 1-2-3-4
Exhale 1-2-3-4
Works great.

I get outside and hike a lot.

Exercise is an excellent stress reliever.

I have informal "vent agreements" with several teammates. We know what we can :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about stuff to each other without being judged or seen as an annoyance.

I found that disappearing for a little road trip for a few days was very refreshing. Ditch your pager, cell phone, radio, whatever and enjoy the silence and freedom.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Race motorcycles :D
Your mileage may vary from that one though.
I also shoot photography and play paintball.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Copious amounts of Scotch works for me! Preferably single malt.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i drink...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I just looking to the community here to find out what others do in there down time to take their minds off of work or just to relax. My own personal relaxation/Meditation is to play music (and no its not the radio).

For me, that's why God created free weights, XBOX 360, digital cable, picks/strings/slides, and Peavey amplifiers.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I used to love the bottle. Imported beer, Irish whiskey, and well pretty much anything that got me drunk. Now that I have gotten old ( or atleast my body has decided it doesn't like that any more) I have been known to hit the gym, watch movies, ride motorcycles, visit friends and family, and sleep( the most amazing thing in the world). Oh and thiamine (sp) its natural and it relieves stress I use it at work when I want to throw things at people or "tell the crews how I really feel". its effective

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Neurosurgery, diffuse a nuclear weapon, par take in Middle East peace talks and go through Navy SEAL hell week. These are the things less stressful than medic class.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Drink in moderation, while shooting pool.
Working out
Shooting guns (while occasionally drinking)
eating
video games that include shooting things
doing the Coast Guard part time.

...and lets not forget the classic stress reliever:
SEX

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Quiet time..........

Walking on the beach and watching the waves come in and crash on the sand, beach comb to my heart's delight. At night I gaze up at the dark sky and watch the stars and listen to the wind along with the other sounds of the night. That is my quiet time.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
good ol guitar playin works wonders for me... and copious amounts of food, (couldn't tell it from my picture eh? ;) it's a gift and a curse)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
4 wt fly rod, dry flies, and sea run cutthroats

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Drink in moderation, while shooting pool.
Working out
Shooting guns (while occasionally drinking)
eating
video games that include shooting things
doing the Coast Guard part time.

...and lets not forget the classic stress reliever:
SEX

Stong work my friend, you're doing the Coast Guard:eek: :eek: :eek:
:beerchug:

I now return you to your family-friendly, regularly scheduled programming.:nosoupfortroll:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
are the days over when you can hustle your co-workers, arrange shift trades and combine them with vacation/sick leave so you can take a month or more off at a time?

That's what kept me going...and then me, my motorcycle and ride, ride, ride!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Visit EMTLife Regularly! Check out the Humor Section.... Post your comments. Visit the chat room. When your done here at EMTLife.com, visit the EMTLife MySpace Site. Make new friends there. And then come back and visit EMTLife and tell us about it. B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Visit EMTLife Regularly! Check out the Humor Section.... Post your comments. Visit the chat room. When your done here at EMTLife.com, visit the EMTLife MySpace Site. Make new friends there. And then come back and visit EMTLife and tell us about it. B)
Look, if you're going for employee of the month, ffemt already has it :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So, where do you post those Employee of the Month photos?