Reflective Vests on the Highway - 23 CFR 634

Your Service and Reflective Vests

• We have vests on the truck, but they are NOT ANSI Class II, and we don't need to wear them

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • We have ANSI Class II vests on the truck, but we don't need to wear them

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • We are required to wear a vest that is NOT an ANSI Class II vest on calls on a highway

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • We are required to wear an ANSI Class II vest on calls on a highway

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • We don't have vests, but are going to be getting them soon.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • We aren't getting vests.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Somethng Else. See my post

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I can't argue against being more visible.

But the people over here are putting the wrong ideas in peoples heads. They are making it sound like if you put the vest on you won't get hit and I have seen responders thinking they are invincible on the highways.

So just remember. The vest reflects, not protects.
Always be aware of traffic.

Ha
I just came up with that. I like it.

..."Don't let your feet hit the street
Without a vest to help protect"....

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Okay, lot's of confusion on the FHWA ruling that goes into effect this November, but I'll try to help point some folks in the right direction. You've got a FHWA requirement known as 23 CFR Part 634 that references an ANSI certification standard known as ANSI/ISEA 107-2004. Yeeesh!

First, 23 CFR Part 634 requires that safety apparel (vests, etc.) to meet ANSI/ISEA 107-2004 certification. Here is a link to the requirement from the Federal Register: http://www.workzonesafety.org/files/documents/laws_regulations/federal/nov_24_06.pdf

This document covers the history of the ruling and results leading to the order going into effect November 28, 2008

Second, the ruling states that the high visibility apparel meet the performance class of Class 2 OR Class 3 requirements of ANSI/ISEA 107-2004. (see section 634.2 Definitions).

Older definitions of the ANSI 107 standard that referenced environments with vehicular speed have been dropped in the 2004 revised ANSI 107 version. It should be noted that Class 3 vests have sleeves and Class 2 vests are sleeveless under the new 2004 ANSI 107 revisions.

This link discussed the changes from ANSI 107-1999 to ANSI 107-2004.
http://www.occupationalhazards.com/...ty_Apparel_and_Headwear_Near_Publication.aspx

Hope this helps! Good luck.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Friends don't let friends rescue on the highway with out vests!

mikie

Forum Lurker
I didn't read the article in full. For rescue crews/FD, does turnout gear suffice?

We have always had in our SOP that on all MVAs we wear vests, or on any scene at night that involves being on the road. Although none of us like our vests, they're these HUGE yellow vests that you could probably see from space. They're not very flexible, we need new ones!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I didn't read the article in full. For rescue crews/FD, does turnout gear suffice?

We have always had in our SOP that on all MVAs we wear vests, or on any scene at night that involves being on the road. Although none of us like our vests, they're these HUGE yellow vests that you could probably see from space. They're not very flexible, we need new ones!

No, the ruling clearing spells out Class 2 or Class 3 ANSI 107-2004 performance rating. ANSI 107-2004 certification mandates x amount of square inches of fluorescent green or orange material for daylight visibility and x amount of square inches of reflective material for night visibility. Most turnout gear does not meet this specification.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rid... I started this topic a few months ago... I merged the 2 discussions.

Jon

mikie

Forum Lurker
Can someone provide a link that shows/has the difference between the different ANSI classes of protective ware?

zippyRN

Forum Ride Along
I'm under an impression from reading somewhere (can't remember) that U.S. bunker manufactures have yet to develop firefighting gear that is also ANSI Class II compliant. Don't hold me to this (still researching).

Anyhow, any gear that is ANSI compliant will have a tag attached stating which ANSI class (if any) the garment meets.

there's serious problems with the EU market and en471 compliance from fire gear - most are wearing en471 class wwasitcoats over fire gear and fudge the risk assessment by counting the reflective o nthe fire gear to up the fire gear + HV to class 3 standards

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm bringing this thread back up - this is next week.

Does everyone have their vests?

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I'm bringing this thread back up - this is next week.

Does everyone have their vests?

I carry mine in the truck for every shift and keep it looped on my gear bag in the back of the suv.
Any accident we pull up on it is on. I like staying alive.B)

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
It's a shame. I went to a fire show this past year where there was an agency that gives away free vest there. I stopped and talked with the gentleman for a few minutes and watched a video they had showing on the TV right there. The video showed a fireman with full bunker gear on in a dark night walk to his truck and pull a ladder or something. Showing how hard it really was to see him with all his reflective on the gear. The next shot was the same dude with a vest on and how he really GLOWED!
I didn't care for them at first, but it is a habit. Once you start you can make the change. Like I said, I'm all about staying alive.

I wish those clips could be found on the web. They were really good to show the difference.

rjz

Forum Crew Member
we wear ours

We have had these vest for about two years now. We used to be able to chise between the vest or turnouts, but now we are required to wear teh vest no matter what. the only time we don't have to put it on is when we are fighting active fire along side a federal funded roadway. all other times the vest must be worn. I feel there is pretty good compliance it is jsut another part of our PPE.

On another note, the private ambulance provider I work for does not have anything close to this, nor have I seen the local AMR guys wearing them.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I wish those clips could be found on the web. They were really good to show the difference.

Here's one from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsB54pwAGQ

Illustrated article from Firehouse.com (Reprintable for personal use): http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/printer.jsp?id=32419

Another video from Responder Safety:
http://www.respondersafety.com/FeaturedVideo.aspx
(This one is geared towards the Po-Po but has good illustrations of the pull-away style vests)

A PowerPoint show with great pictures from Responder Safety:
http://www.respondersafety.com/Download.aspx?downloadID=e41bbf4b-1a6a-4862-9c6c-1d10463592f1

"If your feet are on the ground you should have a vest on your chest"

Last edited by a moderator:

ride2k

Forum Crew Member
We JUST got them and now it is required that they be used on the highway.
The reflectors on our firegear though are better than those on the vests, but we still need to wear them.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Our rain jackets are compliant, so until they decide to buy vests, our rain jacket must be worn on roadway calls. Not too bad this time of year, but will really suck in the summer.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
We purchased jackets last year with reflective tape on them but we got the break away vest a few months ago. They are all loaded on our rig ready to go in a pinch!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Bumping a thread for a question.

How can a jacket that looks like this carry a tag stating "ANSI 107-2004 Class 3" if it's not in an approved background color?

9732172.JPG