Reflective Vests on the Highway - 23 CFR 634

Your Service and Reflective Vests

• We have vests on the truck, but they are NOT ANSI Class II, and we don't need to wear them

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • We have ANSI Class II vests on the truck, but we don't need to wear them

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • We are required to wear a vest that is NOT an ANSI Class II vest on calls on a highway

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • We are required to wear an ANSI Class II vest on calls on a highway

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • We don't have vests, but are going to be getting them soon.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • We aren't getting vests.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Somethng Else. See my post

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Public Safety Vests are MUTCD Complaint
  • National Traffic Incident Management Coalition
  • 2008 Mar 26
A Federal Highway Administration official has confirmed that the Public Safety Vest promoted by NTIMC is compliant with MUTCD standards.
In a letter to the CVVFA Emergency Responder Safety Institute, the FHWA's Associate Administrator for Operations, Jeffrey Paniati, confirmed that the Public Safety Vest standards (ANSI 207-2006) meet the requirements of Federal Regulation 23 CFR 634 . The decision clarifies an important issue for highway responders as they prepare to comply with this federal regulation, which will require all workers on federal-aid highways to wear an ANSI-approved high-visibility safety garment. The requirements are slated to take effect Nov. 24, 2008.
Paniati stated that the standards for Public Safety Vests (ANSI 207-2006) were found, by FHWA, to be compatible with ANSI/ISEA Class II requirements for night-time visibility and will be included in the next revision of the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
<SNIP>
Article Here

http://www.workzonesafety.org/files/documents/laws_regulations/federal/nov_24_06.pdf
http://timcoalition.org/?siteid=41

So... A little survey and some discussion - Who is wearing vests now? ANSI II+? What are you doing to comply with this regulation, especially if you aren't wearing vests yet?

Additionally... Flight Crews - This seems to cover you too... are you guys going to need to start wearing vests when you are on the ground at an MVC?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Good thread.

In Florida, most counties/depts I worked for and surrounding services I was familiar with, all have been wearing vests for years per policy. Glad to see it is becoming a federal mandate as there are many who do not.

Regarding the fllight crews, per our regs we already have reflective striping on our uniforms. However, if I am landing on a road, the road is shut down...no matter how much FHP hates that. So a vest is kind of a moot point when there is no traffic. If I am not landing on scene, I am landing in a secure LZ (ball field, school parking lot,etc) and once again the vest is a moot point as there is no traffic concerns.

I do think it is a great idea and support it entirely.

Epi-do

I see dead people
While we do have reflective vests on our ambulances, we are required to wear our bunker gear when on the scene of an MVC. Because we have our gear on (with its reflective striping) we are not currently required to put the vests on.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We have them on most of the units, fastened on the front seats. Unfortunately, I tend to forget them, but tragically I am about the only one that wears them. Ironically, I see most F/F wear them over their bunker gear as well.

I much wear them and to be seen than to be felt...

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We have them on or rigs, but the only ones that wear them are the people we assign to do traffic control. The rest of us wear either bunker gear or coveralls with reflective striping.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have traffic safety vests for all personnel on an MVA. They are generally worn by those who are not in bunker gear. In addition to the vests, we also have reflective tape on our coats and we're getting it on the jumpsuits we have just ordered. We got so much of that reflective tape that our MVA MOI pictures generally look like a UFO landing with all the glowing dark figures

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We have them on most of the units, fastened on the front seats. Unfortunately, I tend to forget them, but tragically I am about the only one that wears them. Ironically, I see most F/F wear them over their bunker gear as well.

I much wear them and to be seen than to be felt...

R/r 911
Rid and the others who have talked about turnout gear:
If you read the article and the law, Bunker gear isn't good enough anymore. It might have enough reflective material, but it isn't on a high-visibility background (Lime or Orange). Around here, the PA Turnpike mandated ANSI II vests (old ANSI III) for anyone working on the 'Pike a few years back. Many of the local agencies that serve the Turnpike had the Turnpike buy the vests for them.

Many local companies now wear vests over their turnout gear regularly, and often take the vest off when they are packing up for an actual fire call.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid and the others who have talked about turnout gear:
If you read the article and the law, Bunker gear isn't good enough anymore. It might have enough reflective material, but it isn't on a high-visibility background (Lime or Orange). Around here, the PA Turnpike mandated ANSI II vests (old ANSI III) for anyone working on the 'Pike a few years back. Many of the local agencies that serve the Turnpike had the Turnpike buy the vests for them.

Many local companies now wear vests over their turnout gear regularly, and often take the vest off when they are packing up for an actual fire call.

The newer bunker gear we've ordered does have the Orange or green background on it. Maybe this is in response to the law. We have a wide band of the orange with the silver reflective tape in the middle.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
The newer bunker gear we've ordered does have the Orange or green background on it. Maybe this is in response to the law. We have a wide band of the orange with the silver reflective tape in the middle.

I'm under an impression from reading somewhere (can't remember) that U.S. bunker manufactures have yet to develop firefighting gear that is also ANSI Class II compliant. Don't hold me to this (still researching).

Anyhow, any gear that is ANSI compliant will have a tag attached stating which ANSI class (if any) the garment meets.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
When in orientation and ordering our initial uniform orders, we are issued an ANSI II vest. SOP says that we are to wear them at all MVCs, as well as Fire/Police standbys to make us more visible and identifiable on scene. If on an MVC and you are not wearing a vest, and struck by a vehicle, you not only are subject to potential disciplinary action, but may/may not be covered under workers comp.
edffffd8.jpg

daa7e5a0.jpg

Also, our rain gear has triple-trim similar to bunker gear, however it is nowhere near enough for our idiot Atlanta drivers, and I will throw my vest on over it as well.
128acd0e.jpg

rainpants.jpg

I keep my vest in the pocket of the door and grab it as I step out of the unit when arriving onscene. I do sometimes notice that I am occasionally the only one in a vest between EMS, Fire and PD:eek::huh::censored::censored::censored::censored:. The DOT H.E.R.O. (Highway Emerg Response Operators) have triple trim on their uniform pants, as well as ALWAYS wearing their vests.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
we have them on our rigs to. they look foolish but hey i'm still alive because of them. almost got wiped out by a truck while responding to a MVA a few months back...i had to get a new pair of pants after that call but i was still alive.^_^

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
We have them on the trucks, I havent worked a night MVC yet but living in the state of idiot drivers, you can bet your sweet asscheeks that I will be wearing it!

Gradyemt, have you met Kaj yet? He is still 3rd riding, I think he finishes orientation week after next.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
We have them, each person has there own issued to them and are kept in there gear bag that they throw in the truck at the beginning of each shift. If we pull up on an accident then you better have it on.
They suck and you look like a dork but I'd rather be an alive dork than a dead cool dude.B)

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Hiway40nite_copy copyright.jpg

Moments after I took this very photograph (about 4 years ago), I backed away while still looking through the camera's view finder to get a wider shot of the scene. Unknowingly, I was backing into an intersection and in a fraction of a second it felt like someone tugged very hard on the back of my photographer's vest causing me to spin around. As I spun around, I could see a car proceed inches by me. I remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck realizing that the car had nearly hit me and the tugging I felt a second or two earlier must have been something that my vest snagged onto from the car.

Later that night I took a closer look at my appearance. My EMS Photo Unit uniform is all black and the photographers vest was also all black. One would think that with that getup I was trying purposely to not be seen.

The next day I ordered a Gerber ANSI Type 3 coat / jacket which is highly visible day or night. Waterproof and warm with the removable liner, it's perfect for crappy weather as well as MVA's, etc. Lots of pockets for my photo accessories and I always wear it on every MVA.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
yeah that ninja look is a big no-no, but atleast you made it out with all your senses.:ph34r:

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
We are currently required to wear vests on mvcs. How ever I have to question thier use after one of our members slipped while working a wreck snagging his vest on a part of the truck We found him hanging by his vest with his feet off the ground. He was released from the hospital after two days with no long term effects. But this is a case of the equipment we have to wear working against us.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We are currently required to wear vests on mvcs. How ever I have to question thier use after one of our members slipped while working a wreck snagging his vest on a part of the truck We found him hanging by his vest with his feet off the ground. He was released from the hospital after two days with no long term effects. But this is a case of the equipment we have to wear working against us.

In order to be compliant with the regs, the vests are supposed to be velcro with tear away straps. This way, if the incident you mention occurs, the vest is torn loose and can't pull the worker with it.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
In order to be compliant with the regs, the vests are supposed to be velcro with tear away straps. This way, if the incident you mention occurs, the vest is torn loose and can't pull the worker with it.

Yeah I know but the way his vest hung and crossed in front of him it made a great noose. I am not saying vests dont have a place I just dont think people should wear them while crawling around in unstable situations, In our area F.D. usually does a great job of keeping traffic off of us so imho vests should be required only for those exposed to traffic.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Some very important things to keep in mind on this matter. This FHWA mandate goes into effect this November and if you read the mandate, as far as EMS and Fire Services are concerned, there are no exceptions.

The wearing of ANSI compliant vests, etc. has become increasingly "standard" since the first draft of the mandate went into effect back in 2006. After November 2008, a clear standard of highway scene safety will be established. I feel that any emergency service that tries to circumvent the new law or bend the law in such a manner as to only wear the vests when certain conditions exist are in my view arrogant and reckless with the safety of their personnel.

Should an EMS, Fire, etc. responder get injured or killed in a mandated highway area and he or she is not wearing an ANSI compliant vest, this could bring very serious litigation against the responder's service. Lack of following standards are what lawyers love to go after.

I've been summonsed to testify in several EMS lawsuits over the years (as a result of my photographs) and I seen very savvy plaintiff attorneys pick apart an accident scene. Some attorneys have even hauled in their own EMS expert witnesses to testify. They go in to win and win they usually do.

As I indicated in my earlier post, I too was almost a victim while photographing an accident scene several years ago and I have since been wearing an ANSI type 3 jacket on ALL MVCs. I hope this new law will be embraced by all emergency services for it's been long overdue.