Reflective Vests in Traffic?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Currently the service I work for provides no additional clothing in addition to our standard navy blue jackets that have a reflective stripe.

I'm wondering if your service provides you with reflective vests for traffic accidents, and/or how you feel about wearing them. Do you think it dramatically increases the safety of the EMS crew?

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Hey look at the bright side at least you have something reflective on your coat. We got new coats and out of all the colors and embroidery (sp) screen printing that they can do we got black and red coats with a small ambulance on the back. No reflective there.

We have nylon vests someplace in our ambulance. I know where there at but they are a pain in the rear to get to. I have suggested hanging them inside so they are in plane site as we don't use them like we should. If I remember right they have triage type titles on them as to just EMT. But I guess if I would have one on and have some one miss me on a scene it would be a good thing.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If I'm doing anything in traffic I'm wearing a vest. You can sometimes disappear into the scenery wearing blue. You can really stand out when wearing something slime-green.
:)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
My philosphy is I rather be seen, than to be felt... Wearing blue or black at nightime you are asking to be a number at the EMS memorial.... be sfe, wear reflective vests, and gear.

Be safe,
R/R 911

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
yeah we were issued vests. yeah they save lives. :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I carry a ANSI III vest with EMS on it.

My one co. went to them a while ago because we are a PA Turnpike provider, and they want EVERYONE wearing ANSI III... so they bought us vests that we wear over our gear.

I bought mine seperatly, occasionally wear it at the other squad, and occasionally at work. as R/R 911 said..... $50 beats being a name on a memorial.

Jon

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
There's one (and only one) vest on every ambulance but I'd rather wear my turnout coat than put on that vest that's been God knows where and then stored underneath the tire chains and locks kit. Also, most of us wear the IllumiNite job shirts during the cooler months which glow quite nicely in headlights.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
We have gigantic yellowish-green jackets that look kind of like rain coats. I would never walk onto the street without it. Definitely a safety precaution.