Reflections on EMT-B class...

KF7BHX

Forum Ride Along
My EMT Class is coming to a close, and I'm feeling a little bummed. Our group is volunteer, and my class consists of some pretty good people. Yeah, some of them will be running on my crew, but we have all learned so much together through our class, we've become quite a tight-knit group. A long way from everyone being all shy and stern, when the class started, haha.

I dont really know how to describe it, things are just going to be different is all. It will be nice to be doing runs, and actually making a difference, but I think I'm really going to miss the camaraderie.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats on completing the class and good luck during the licensing process!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wait until you go to medic school and spend a year with your class.

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
Wait until you go to medic school and spend a year with your class.

ya a buddy of mine is already annoyed with half of his class and its only half way threw...lol

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yea... I hate half my class.

The other half I adore to death.

The splitting line is if I would trust them working me as a medic... ^_^

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member

yea i hated actually more than half on my old basic class lmao....

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

I'm the same way. We've already become really tight. My instructor refers to us a "an excellent room". I hate that it will be over soon...the same way i can't wait for it to be over.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Let me guess... half the class are Firefighters? :p J/K... kinda...

I have always held that view in regards to any EMTs or Medics I have worked with or known... would I trust them to work on me or my family? Funny how that number is about 20% of all the EMTs and Medics I know... then again 90% of the EMTs I know are Firefighters... so that brings the numbers down significatly... lol... :p J/K... kinda...

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I don't really like most of my EMT class. We're like 3-4 months in, and some of them still can't run a trauma or a medical assessment to save their life, let alone their patient's. And just the other day, one gave me (a fake patient suffering a fake asthma attack) Epinephrine as the drug of choice.

You have got to be kidding me.

Futureparamedic

Forum Ride Along
I don't really like most of my EMT class. We're like 3-4 months in, and some of them still can't run a trauma or a medical assessment to save their life, let alone their patient's. And just the other day, one gave me (a fake patient suffering a fake asthma attack) Epinephrine as the drug of choice.

You have got to be kidding me.

Wouldnt Albuterol be a better choice?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Well, depending on what was happening, Epi COULD have been used for asthma refractory to other B2-agonist such as albuterol, BUT an EMT wouldn't do that, a medic would, and the average EMT student wouldn't even know of it.

We're like 3-4 months in, and some of them still can't run a trauma or a medical assessment to save their life
Meh, still in school so that's to be expected. In fact, couple weeks ago I was watching one of the EMT classes do scenerios and my god they were pitiful... but then I remembered every EMT student is the exact same way in school.

Hell, I'm still the same way in medic school, and we're basically all done, but only because I have a lot more info I have to process and do a DDX. I can run Basic calls with ease... medic calls get challenging.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Yes, it would absolutely be a better choice. Administering Epinephrine 1:1000 for an asthma attack is a HUGE mistake. That is exactly why I get frustrated with my class.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Well, depending on what was happening, Epi COULD have been used for asthma refractory to other B2-agonist such as albuterol, BUT an EMT wouldn't do that, a medic would, and the average EMT student wouldn't even know of it.

Yep, the problem was it was in basic school, where they're aren't that many drugs to memorize. And giving Epi for an asthma attack as a basic is pretty bad, at least in my eyes.

Meh, still in school so that's to be expected. In fact, couple weeks ago I was watching one of the EMT classes do scenerios and my god they were pitiful... but then I remembered every EMT student is the exact same way in school.

Hell, I'm still the same way in medic school, and we're basically all done, but only because I have a lot more info I have to process and do a DDX. I can run Basic calls with ease... medic calls get challenging.

I know it's to be expected, but it's still frustrating, especially considering the fact that we are a few months in, and we were given the steps near the beginning of the class. It's just frustrating to spend like 45 minutes on an assessment in class when at this point, people should be able to do it in under 20.

I realize I'm coming off as bitter, but I've just grown really frustrated recently with my group in EMT class, and I know that there are others in the class who are just as confused. It's tough because some of us have the assessments down (or at least the steps) and can just run through them (while thinking of course), while others have to struggle through and question every little thing. I know not everybody learns at the same speed, and I should be tolerant. But I'm not :p

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Um... what?

How?

A huge mistake for us, who are only being trained to give Albuterol for an asthma attack.

Epi 1:1000 is what's in Epi-pens, which is what somebody decided to do in class the other day. Just a mistake, but frustrating and funny at the same time. Thankfully, I don't think they will ever do THAT one again.

Come to think of it, I should have just said "Epi-pen." That would have been clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes, using an Epi-pen for an asthma attack really isn't the best idea... but Epi 1:1000 is totally fine.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yes, using an Epi-pen for an asthma attack really isn't the best idea... but Epi 1:1000 is totally fine.

Like I said, I should have just said Epi-pen.. My bad :sad::p

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I couldn't stand most of the people in my class. Jokers/slackers not really there for a good reason. But it's wonderful to see you developed such attachments and had such a good time. Don't loose touch with anyone just because you're done with school. My EMT class rewarded me with a really amazing friend I would have never known otherwise.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't really like most of my EMT class. We're like 3-4 months in, and some of them still can't run a trauma or a medical assessment to save their life, let alone their patient's.

To be fair, most EMT-B courses do a cruddy job of teaching assessments.