Reciprocity question(NY)

Hessexpress11

Forum Ride Along
Sorry I'm new to this website so I'm not sure if I should be posting here but oh well.

So I am currently an EMT in Ma but I want to work in NY as well. My problem is I can't file for reciprocity because I don't meet the requirements. My question is do I have to take a new York EMT course even though I'm already an EMT or is there something else I can do to get a New York state license?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So I am currently an EMT in Ma but I want to work in NY as well. My problem is I can't file for reciprocity because I don't meet the requirements. My question is do I have to take a new York EMT course even though I'm already an EMT or is there something else I can do to get a New York state license?

What requirements do you not meet?

NYS reciprocity (I obtained mine by submitting my CT EMT card and my NREMT card) is pretty easy to get. Do you have NREMT? If so, have you taken an NREMT or state practical and written exam in the last 18 months? If yes, you can get NYS reciprocity. If not, then you may be authorized (at the discretion of the NYS Bureau of EMS), to take a NYS practical and written.

With your MA license, if you have taken an NREMT or state practical and written exam in the last 18 months? If yes, you can get NYS reciprocity. If not, then you may be authorized (at the discretion of the NYS Bureau of EMS), to take a NYS practical and written.

Take a careful read of this packet. The BEMS reciprocity website has all the forms you'll need to complete. They were pretty fast for me, I think it took 3 or 4 weeks.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0265.GIF

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
what epi said.
https://www.health.ny.gov/forms/doh-2183.pdf
This is from the FAQ:
Q: Can I obtain Reciprocity in New York State if I am a Nationally Registered EMT or Paramedic?
A: No, You can only obtain reciprocity from another state or approved U.S. Military program. You may still apply with your national registry and you will be issued a letter that allows you to enroll in a NYS Refresher Course.

NYS is very picky and tends to think it owns the world. Their certifications go out to other states, but very rarely do they take anybody elses. Fair warning, if your packet isn't in the right order/how they want it, you'll be getting it back.
You can also call the NYS DOH EMS division and physically talk to somebody, they'll let you know what you need, but it's a tedious process now-a-days.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Q: Can I obtain Reciprocity in New York State if I am a Nationally Registered EMT or Paramedic?
A: No, You can only obtain reciprocity from another state or approved U.S. Military program. You may still apply with your national registry and you will be issued a letter that allows you to enroll in a NYS Refresher Course.

That's interesting - the FAQ contradicts the application packet from their reciprocity site:

The Bureau of EMS is able to grant direct reciprocity for individuals who hold only National Registry certification, as long as they have completed a state (Non-NYS) recognized or NREMT Practical Skills and Written Examination within the last 18 months. Applicants who have not successfully completed these testing requirements, MAY be issued a letter allowing enrollment into a New York State approved Practical Skills and Written examination. Current NREMT certification must be based on a non-NYS EMS educational program and must have consisted of no more than 49% online didactic education.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I did a hybrid program that was over 49% online so they won't grant me Reciprocity. I have everything else.
The only way i can see for you is to actually call the NYSDOH talk to one of the people there and see if you can take the NYS test, and practical and maybe get it that way? I don't think that will necessarily happen, but hey its worth a shot

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The only way i can see for you is to actually call the NYSDOH talk to one of the people there and see if you can take the NYS test, and practical and maybe get it that way? I don't think that will necessarily happen, but hey its worth a shot

Agreed, see if you can't take the exam (or a refresher then the exam). Frankly, I don't understand their reluctance to approve an online program if you pass the NREMT...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Agreed, see if you can't take the exam (or a refresher then the exam). Frankly, I don't understand their reluctance to approve an online program if you pass the NREMT...

Because it wouldn't be NYS if they didn't try to differentiate themselves ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParkMedic

Forum Probie
So is the procedure if wanting to work in another state to check the DOH EMS website to find info unless it's one of the states that signed NREMT recipocity? I'm the NFG and have no clue of intra-state EMS bureaucracy.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So is the procedure if wanting to work in another state to check the DOH EMS website to find info unless it's one of the states that signed NREMT recipocity? I'm the NFG and have no clue of intra-state EMS bureaucracy.
not to sound like an arse, but english? If you live in the North East chances of reciprocity are much lower then other parts of the country, and often require you to jump through quite a few hoops. the only easy one i've found is NYS-> NJ. However that loophole just got spackled to ****.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In general, you'll look at the state office of EMS website and follow the directions for reciprocity.

For example, when I moved to GA, I had to submit a copy of my NREMT certification, a letter from my previous state EMS office stating I left in good standing, an application listing all of my bona fides and a fee. It was relatively simple.

chbochur

Forum Probie
Hey, what ever happened with this. I am going doing a hybrid course with the intention of using it in NY. Am I wasting my time and money with this if I only plan on using this in NY?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief