ratted out partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Just ratted partner for testing while driving, feel like :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Advice/opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
You try talking to them about it first?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just ratted partner for testing while driving, feel like :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Advice/opinion?

Would you like a cookie or a medal? I sure hope your partner was testing you on CPR or something you're supposed to know... Gawd forgive they ensure you are competent at your job!

I sure hope you approached your partner and spoke with them respectfully, asking them not to text, or used an "I statement" to express your fears, "I worry about your driving when you're texting. I'm happy to drive if you have messages you need to send, but ask that you not text when behind the wheel."

The fact you are proud of this, and even labeled it as "ratting out" appears that you took pride in it-- your action was motivated by embarrassment or revenge rather than road safety, which worries me. Gold star, VA Transport EMT.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You did exactly the right thing, VA Transport EMT. Yes, it's good to try and get issues resolved at the lowest possible level...and in this perfect world, your partner would be intelligent enough to not put you in that position in the first place by not texting and driving.

Sure, it sounds like an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move, and doubtless people will label it as such- but texting and driving is innocent until it isn't. Until you're in an accident, and your job is on the line for not doing anything about it. It's innocent until the fire department is extricating someone from the car your rig smashed. It's innocent and fun until it's your femur you're looking at snapped in half. Then it's serious.

The real :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move isn't reporting this guy, the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move is texting and driving in the first place.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm going to call you to take me to The er because they look funny And because i felt sick for twenty one days

You're not funny.

You are "that guy."

You should work on your people skills. Especially considering the business you're in. Snitching is a third grade mentality; trying discussion is the adult thing to do. Rather than making waves, and then passive-aggressively posting it anonymously on the internet, why don't you come clean to the guy who is going to be written up.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You did exactly the right thing, VA Transport EMT. Yes, it's good to try and get issues resolved at the lowest possible level...and in this perfect world, your partner would be intelligent enough to not put you in that position in the first place by not texting and driving.

Sure, it sounds like an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move, and doubtless people will label it as such- but texting and driving is innocent until it isn't. Until you're in an accident, and your job is on the line for not doing anything about it. It's innocent until the fire department is extricating someone from the car your rig smashed. It's innocent and fun until it's your femur you're looking at snapped in half. Then it's serious.

The real :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move isn't reporting this guy, the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: move is texting and driving in the first place.

Extreme scenario(s)

There are umpteen hundred thousand people texting and driving right now. I'm sure you can think of a time when you did the same. Perhaps even maybe you were reading an EMTlife post, or posting yourself, while driving.

While I understand the importance of road safety, being a snitch in this business - the people business - is not going to be well received by the colleagues whom you sit with for literally half of a day, half of the week.

While you post makes it seem like texting and driving is equivalent to opening up and duel wielding machine guns into a kindergarten class, it is not that serious. By your standards eating behind the wheel, taking a drink of water, changing the radio, telling a joke to your partner, contacting dispatch, itching your foot for a second, etc etc are all grounds for "unsafe" driving, and you should be tattling for that too.

How about a "hey partner, can I drive?" Or a "can that wait until we get to post?"

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You should had discussed it with the person first BUT if they were driving and texting; they placed all lives in jeopardy.

Sorry, I do not believe in the "code" or "brotherhood" method either. There is too much crap that is already covered up. You want to be a within a profession then act as such. Discuss matters that are wrong so the individual has a chance to correct (within reason), then they don't correct, you bet report. Hopefully, management can encourage a change or remove them if they fail to do so.

R/r 911

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Considering the typos- I feel like you were typing this while driving.

Tell me otherwise.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
tattle.jpg

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Would you like a cookie or a medal? I sure hope your partner was testing you on CPR or something you're supposed to know... Gawd forgive they ensure you are competent at your job!

I sure hope you approached your partner and spoke with them respectfully, asking them not to text, or used an "I statement" to express your fears, "I worry about your driving when you're texting. I'm happy to drive if you have messages you need to send, but ask that you not text when behind the wheel."

The fact you are proud of this, and even labeled it as "ratting out" appears that you took pride in it-- your action was motivated by embarrassment or revenge rather than road safety, which worries me. Gold star, VA Transport EMT.

I don't know any way other than to describe it. Tattletaling is the same as ratting some one Out.
the Incident occurred with a pt in the Back and caused him to swerve on the interstate. Also during the day he took a selfie of the window to The back of showing the stretcher,me and himself. Later,he stole a Poster From ahospital. The texting while driving thing is just atop of the iceberg.
Edit: the pt was on the stretcher

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Considering the typos- I feel like you were typing this while driving.

Tell me otherwise.

On my phone, to cheap to buy tapatalk.

As fir the others, i offered more than one to drive, he said he had a massive headache and couldn't be aic. I do my best to avoid conflict and asked his regular partner for some advice. Was told if i didn't report it, he would kill someone

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant
I don't understand people on this forum sometimes. Most of the time people preach about safety and how people are stupid for doing things that are considered dangerous. Now this person is avoiding a dangerous situation and everyone is up in arms. If you don't want someone to tell on you doing something wrong, don't do it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If you don't want someone to tell on you doing something wrong, don't do it.

I heard that in the 2nd grade. Now we're grown... It's not black and white... We live in a grey world. Like I said, no one (being, the average person) wants to work with a snitch, and EVERYONE bends the rules at some point. The job is stressful enough without worrying about some one looking over your shoulder ready to fink on you if you slip up. And that is the stigma/perception that goes with being a snitch. I'm not saying there is not a time and place for reporting unsafe or stoooopid behavior, but I am saying there should be a reasonable degree of escalation to that point.

The guy came off as gloating, rather than trying to preach safety.

People are going to say different things, but some of the extreme scenarios of crashing and burning in a firey wreck are a little over blown. Plenty of people do dangerous stuff everyday. Not that it's ok, but this isn't Mayberry. You adapt and overcome to survive the dumb-dumbs out there. And you talk to your partners.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I don't understand people on this forum sometimes. Most of the time people preach about safety and how people are stupid for doing things that are considered dangerous. Now this person is avoiding a dangerous situation and everyone is up in arms. If you don't want someone to tell on you doing something wrong, don't do it.

Of course texting while driving is dangerous, and even stupider with a patient in the back. I think what some of us are objecting to is the means of addressing the problem. You don't have to go full nuclear for any issue you encounter. Sometimes it's just as effective to kill a spider with a rolled up newspaper as it is to burn your entire house down. Talking to your partner directly first about a problem may be as effective as having a supervisor talk to them about it, and you may not make an enemy in the process.

there_was_a_spider_i_panicked-164083.jpg

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Also, it sounds like the alledged assailant is a 18 or 19 year old kid who needs a good talking to.

When I first started and did dumb stuff my partner, who was more obviously more experienced, told me to calm down my driving. He informed me that I was not driving my own car or only responsible for myself while I was driving the ambulance. He made it clear to me that when I was driving I was responsible for the lives of everyone on that rig, and I was responsible for their safety and well being. Did I want to tell his wife I was sorry for speeding while talking on the phone and not paying attention at his funeral, or did I want to be safe and smart?

More than just a class room lecture or some slide show, or some boss man spewing EVOC after 4 consecutive days of mind draining orientation. It was personal, it was my partner being a partner. That's what it took. It didn't take a snitch, and had it been a snitch I would have been so pissed off and frustrated that someone ratted, and thinking who-dun-it, I wouldn't even have been listening to the supervisor accross the table telling me the exact same thing. I would have heard the teacher from snoopy...

Did I like it at the time? No! I was like what a d*** to call me out, but he was right... 5 years later and I still remember that. I keep it in mind to this day when I drive.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

It's not the fact that people disagree that it is unsafe. More disagreeing with the pathway that was insinuated in the original post.

I can't stand people who go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200$... Texting and driving is inexcusable but you bet your *** I'm going to address my partner first about it, probably the second time too before taking it up the chain.

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
It's not the fact that people disagree that it is unsafe. More disagreeing with the pathway that was insinuated in the original post.

I can't stand people who go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200$... Texting and driving is inexcusable but you bet your *** I'm going to address my partner first about it, probably the second time too before taking it up the chain.

I posted the entire day if you look on the middle of page two

Status
Not open for further replies.