Radio Harness

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yesterday we did a great backcountry rescue, and I beat the crap out of my radio on some rocks. In need of a chest harness since our communal ones have gone missing.

Note: Only wish to wear for SAR type calls, I am not that whacked out.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p.../14460/True-North-Stealth-Radio-Harness-NFPA/

While I was in the wild land firefighting realm people used chest harnesses. I tried it out a couple times, nothing fancy it was just the ones we kept on the engine. Wasn't a fan of them. I already had the weight of my line gear and now I'm strapping something to my chest, yeah no thanks I'll pass. I preferred to keep my radio in one of my side pockets on my wild land pack. Personal preference is what it boils down to. What I linked above is something that'll do the job but isn't over the top.

http://www.supplycache.com/Radio-Harness-Mesh-The-Pack-Shack/productinfo/624-30551/

Above is the style we had on the engines minus the spare battery pack and pen holders.

Edit: I realized I accidentally linked the fire store twice... whoops.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Conterra makes a good one. I used it for SAR, but have it to a buddy when I left Seattle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We had a few Conterra ones lying around, they appear to have made their way to people's personal stashes. Might have to see if our rep/former employee has any lying around...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
A little late to the party, sorry about that. A lot of folks in the Wilderness SAR community around here, myself included, use some variant of the Coaxsher chest harnesses. Most commonly the RCP-1 Pro.

http://www.coaxsher.com/Radio-Chest-Harness-p/rp202.htm

I've heard of awesome customer service experiences with the company as well. I always wear it in the field except for caving, water, and if lots of rope climbing is expected (just gets annoying with everything else happening around the chest). Perfectly fine wearing it with big and small, light and heavy backpacks. I keep SAR specific equipment and supplies in it for easy access, then either carry a fanny pack for light medical or backpack for full medical. Just depends on the assignment and team composition.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We provide the medical capability for SAR here. We don't do searches, but if the patient is in our district boundaries, we will make every attempt to access them with SAR or fire's help. Since it's mostly volunteer, we're often the first on scene and will head in if we have an idea of where the patient is located. Despite that harness being little, it's got shnacks, some paper, flagging, a mirror, and LZ strobe on it with no issues.

CALEMT

I would also recommend a GPS either a handheld or one on your phone. PDF Maps is a good app that I use for mountain biking, bowhunting, hiking, etc. Since you pointed out that you're for the most part first on scene.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I would also recommend a GPS either a handheld or one on your phone. PDF Maps is a good app that I use for mountain biking, bowhunting, hiking, etc. Since you pointed out that you're for the most part first on scene.
I keep meaning to get PDF maps, I do that now. We also carry maps of the recreational areas in all the ambulances.

CALEMT

I keep meaning to get PDF maps, I do that now. We also carry maps of the recreational areas in all the ambulances.

PDF maps is badass man. I like to use the free 7.5 minute topo maps. But the real reason I love the app is not because of the free topo maps, but because of since its GPS you don't need cell service to get your location.