Question

nyranger

Forum Ride Along
Hi my name is Tyler im still in high school and i am going to be taking my EMT classes in January. I was wondering my school counselor wants me to take physics she says its good for people who want to be EMT'S. Im wondering if this classes is going to help me as an EMT? Anything will be helpful.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Physics...um no.

Physiology....yes.

Im sure its a good class to take. But not for just being an emt.

Google murphys law ems style and thats all you need to know. Lol

kybackcountry

Forum Probie
Hi my name is Tyler im still in high school and i am going to be taking my EMT classes in January. I was wondering my school counselor wants me to take physics she says its good for people who want to be EMT'S. Im wondering if this classes is going to help me as an EMT? Anything will be helpful.

You aren't required to take physics in high school anymore? Strive to do more than is required of you, with education as your primary focus, and your generation will help pull EMS out of the "profession" category into the "professional" category. Physics will only help you in your future endeavors, especially if you continue (as you should) your education, and if you have any anatomy and physiology options available to you as well, jump all over them. Best of luck.

OP
OP
N

nyranger

Forum Ride Along
Thank you she keeps fighting with me about this and i dont get what she dosent understand that EMS has nothing to do with physics. :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Thank you she keeps fighting with me about this and i dont get what she dosent understand that EMS has nothing to do with physics. :)

The bigger they are the harder they fall into the most ridiculous smallest spaces.

Physics lol

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Take physics. I hated math and science till I took physics. Suddenly it all made sense and I loved it.

It won't specifically help in EMS, but it'll help you understand why things happen the way they do. I guess I would just encourage anyone to learn as much as you can. Learning stuff is good for you and hey, you never know when you might use it.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Take physics. I hated math and science till I took physics. Suddenly it all made sense and I loved it.

It won't specifically help in EMS, but it'll help you understand why things happen the way they do. I guess I would just encourage anyone to learn as much as you can. Learning stuff is good for you and hey, you never know when you might use it.

I hated physics, but surprisingly it actually DOES help you with medicine and physiology. Surprising but true!

Strap

Forum Crew Member
What other options besides physics are available to take, or what are you wanting to take instead of physics?

OP
OP
N

nyranger

Forum Ride Along
There is a more advanced biology course that goes indepth about the human body. My sister who's training to be a nurse took it and suggested that i take it.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
take physics.

to be good at medicine, or anything really, you need critical thinking skills. Knowledge Base aids critical thinking skills. Interdisciplinary education creates great critical thinkers,

also, your body is physics, so are drugs.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I don't know I think physics has a lot to do with EMS, after all it's the study of energy and force. A good third of our calls are somehow related to traumatic energy and that is caused by energy and force. Understanding how much force can be created in certain conditions would probably help us determine when there could be serious but not obvious injuries. On the other hand I hate math and wouldn't want to take it either.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Another reason physics is important. Chemistry happens because of physics. And medicine is at it's core, biochem

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
Take physics. Those who say it doesn't apply probably never studied it...think about forces involved in GSW, MVC, falls, etc.

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Physics is a good way to understand what happens in a car accident, falls, etc. The three newton's laws apply.

There is also gravity and how it can affect some organs. For instance, when you transport a pregnant female supine, you risk the weight of the baby pressing down the lower portion of the aorta and cutting off circulation (I forgot the official term for this, I'm a newbie:/), so you need to transport her supine, you need to tilt the board slightly. I believe the book prefers to the right.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

It's not directly applicable but it certainly cannot hurt. If you want to understand how physics can be useful in EMS, google "kinematics of trauma". If you have any questions beyond that, feel free to ask me. I do research on the subject and can explain it in very great detail if you would like.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
you risk the weight of the baby pressing down the lower portion of the aorta and cutting off circulation (I forgot the official term for this, I'm a newbie

You also got your blood vessels mixed up. It's compression of the inferior vena cava that is an issue in pregnant women due to the gravid uterus.