Question: What is the purpose of CPR?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
To try to maintain some level of cardiac output to try and oxygenate the brain and heart primarily (other organs of secondary importance) until the heart can be "restarted" and do it on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BL89

Forum Probie
ok so to prevent permanent damage to the brain and heart in the event that the person is defibrilated?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Who uses CPRs anymore...I got me one them that fancy DVD players...very kewl!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except defibrillation isn't always used to 'restart' the heart.

CPR is used to maintain some level of cardiac output until the heart is able to on its own. That is the most basic way to define it.

OP
OP
B

BL89

Forum Probie
Because if cardiac output isn't maintained permanent brain damage and such can occur after so long right?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Because if cardiac output isn't maintained permanent brain damage and such can occur after so long right?
On a very basic level, yes. 'So long' in this case being about 4-6 minutes for those patients who didn't have the courtesy to immerse themselves into a snowbank or icy pond, lake or stream before going into cardiac arrest. You know....***holes.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Yes, as that is pretty much the only way to get someone back who's in asystole (flatline) since you don't defibrillate them.

That and massive amounts of epinephrine (now if they'll KEEP that pulse is another matter).

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If somebody has a primary cardiac arrest, no you won't get ROSC with CPR alone

Some sorts of secondary cardiac arrest e.g. hypoxia, strangulation, drowning it is possible but that is more going to be the ventilation aspect of CPR.

Oh and we use CPR because a bald nymphomaniac prostitute lusting alcoholic lawyer made it popular on Tuesday evenings in the 1990s.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Actually, it's a game to see who can do it the least in a cardiac arrest.

I win every time.

Anjel

Forum Angel
On a very basic level, yes. 'So long' in this case being about 4-6 minutes for those patients who didn't have the courtesy to immerse themselves into a snowbank or icy pond, lake or stream before going into cardiac arrest. You know....***holes.

I know...they are so inconsiderate.