Question on Paramedic schools

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I have a question, can any of you recommend a good Paramedic school in the Northeast. I live in Connecticut and I want to know what Paramedic schools do you recommend.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I went through the Stony Brook program with two of your fellow sailors. No complaints, other than having to do what I was told to :).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Never heard a bad thing about ProEMS Center for Medics in Cambridge.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Never heard a bad thing about ProEMS Center for Medics in Cambridge.

14 grand...

Maybe you get a better education, maybe you just get your name on a jacket and an ipad. You don't get paid anymore because you went to pro. You don't have an expanded scope because you went to pro. You could do a whole lot of self directed study, including travel and lodging expenses, for the difference in tuition prices between pro and.... every other paramedic school in Massachusetts.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I am going to NMETC in MA. I like it a lot. They have the in class version or online hybrid where lecture is online and training is in person. I did the online and I found the lectures great. Still a lot of self study 📖. It is true though no matter where you go. You get out what you put in. Mine was $9000 I think ? Or $8000. Cheaper if you go in person I believe to the live classes.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I am going to NMETC in MA. I like it a lot. They have the in class version or online hybrid where lecture is online and training is in person. I did the online and I found the lectures great. Still a lot of self study 📖. It is true though no matter where you go. You get out what you put in. Mine was $9000 I think ? Or $8000. Cheaper if you go in person I believe to the live classes.
Would you recommend it vs going to a Community College. I'm more of a visual learner than a book learner.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Would you recommend it vs going to a Community College. I'm more of a visual learner than a book learner.

If you can attend classes in person then I say go for it. But for me my schedule won't allow me to go to class so the online hybrid was perfect. I am hands on also but I got plenty of hands on time when I went to the school for the skills training.
As for learning. Both require a lot of reading but I feel the online hybrid was more thorough since I can re watch lectures if needed and the instructor always put up extra videos of subjects.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
If you can attend classes in person then I say go for it. But for me my schedule won't allow me to go to class so the online hybrid was perfect. I am hands on also but I got plenty of hands on time when I went to the school for the skills training.
As for learning. Both require a lot of reading but I feel the online hybrid was more thorough since I can re watch lectures if needed and the instructor always put up extra videos of subjects.
I'm more of a visual learner than a book learner. I learn more with my hands than reading book. Do you have the link to the school

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
14 grand...

Maybe you get a better education, maybe you just get your name on a jacket and an ipad. You don't get paid anymore because you went to pro. You don't have an expanded scope because you went to pro. You could do a whole lot of self directed study, including travel and lodging expenses, for the difference in tuition prices between pro and.... every other paramedic school in Massachusetts.
Was not aware of the price. That's a solid 5k more than I paid to go to a CC in Colorado.

But also, is getting a better education worth some money? Probably. How much? I have no idea. I am not entirely sure what the cost of medic school is in MA these days. When I worked at Brewster before they had an affiliated program (or however it works now) most people went to what appeared to me to be pretty crappy, non-credit/education affiliated, "medic mills." Those seem to be gone now with the accreditation requirements for National Registry, but I recall them being around 7k. I think spending more than that to get a really solid medic education was worth it me (oh and I applied for and received grant funding...).

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Was not aware of the price. That's a solid 5k more than I paid to go to a CC in Colorado.

But also, is getting a better education worth some money? Probably. How much? I have no idea. I am not entirely sure what the cost of medic school is in MA these days. When I worked at Brewster before they had an affiliated program (or however it works now) most people went to what appeared to me to be pretty crappy, non-credit/education affiliated, "medic mills." Those seem to be gone now with the accreditation requirements for National Registry, but I recall them being around 7k. I think spending more than that to get a really solid medic education was worth it me (oh and I applied for and received grant funding...).

What’s left of medic schools here after the urge are in the 8-10 range. Pro took over for northeastern as the big swinging appendage medic school around here. At least with northeastern, everything you did there was college credit. An associates from northeastern was a chip shot after medic school.

What pro did was take paramedic school, bundle in all the alphabet classes, load your textbooks on an iPad, and charge you 14 grand. I’m not saying they dont provide a quality training program. They have some very talented staff, good facilities, good affiliations and so on; but does that add up to thousands of additional dollars? That’s a personal choice.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Greenfield Community College might be a bit of a hike, but I highly recommend it.

New Britain EMS also has an excellent program.