question for black EMT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
This is an objective question only.

Just the facts.

What provoked this thought was observing a conversation of a group of black EMT's lamenting how they can not find nice custom ambulance rims.

How much $ could you envision yourself spending for custom made ambulance rims?

SCENARIO:

You go to a shop, not a Checker's, a nice custom rims shop, they take your ambulance's measurements, you dictate how shiny you want the chrome, and how wide you want them, and choose how spinny you want them, the designer makes you 4 rims, before you accept the 4 rims, the shop will make corrective alterations, they will also provide three years "coverage" to alter, mend, and replace if destroyed beyond repair while in the line of duty.

So, in short, how much would you pay, for a three-year warrantied, set of 4 custom rims.

NOTE: For all you "Nancy Drew's" on this forum, neither I nor anyone else I know of offers such a service.

Also, by immediately deleting or locking this thread, or banning the OP, you admit that a smart-a** happy to highlight and call out subtle bigotry in others is worse than actually being a bigot.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
She's trying to make a point about a topic on the forum, but alas...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It's the same whether it's towards blacks, Jews or women... and I place my values above this forum. If it takes something bold to call attention to it, so be it.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
If you think this post was heavily altered from the original, it's not. It was simply a matter of replacing "females" with "black" and "designer pants" with "custom rims." If you doubt me, read the original post.

Doesn't sound so acceptable now though huh?

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I see your point.

You also have to choose your battles both here and in life.

Ignorance exists and will continue long after we are gone.

Your an asset to this forum, dont put that in jeopardy by addressing the nonsense.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Your an asset to this forum, dont put that in jeopardy by addressing the nonsense.

I agree with Lucid on this. Everyone needs to step back and think before the ask/say things. I know we are all guilty of saying things and wishing we could take them back, but on the forum we have the opportunity to read what we wrote and we have a short amount of time to fix anything that we wrote.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I should not have laughed nearly as much as I did. ^_^

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with Lucid on this. Everyone needs to step back and think before the ask/say things. I know we are all guilty of saying things and wishing we could take them back, but on the forum we have the opportunity to read what we wrote and we have a short amount of time to fix anything that we wrote.
Having read the original posts that begat this thread, I do believe the the OP in those posts needs to be "counseled" for appropriateness....they have a tendency to post things that seem to start out of hand and just get worse as they go along.
Please not that I am NOT talking about Lucid here.....

JPINFV

Gadfly
In defense of the original thread (albeit very badly worded), I could see the argument there. The porportions for men and women are different. Porportionally, women have longer legs, men have longer torsos. Additionally women have wider hips while men have external equipment that need space. If it was easier to find female EMS pants than male EMS pants, I could very easily see a similar question coming from men.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
In defense of the original thread (albeit very badly worded), I could see the argument there. The porportions for men and women are different. Porportionally, women have longer legs, men have longer torsos. Additionally women have wider hips while men have external equipment that need space. If it was easier to find female EMS pants than male EMS pants, I could very easily see a similar question coming from men.

+1.

The thread didn't start with an open stereotype. He overheard a conversation that provoked thought, however mislead his train of thought may have been.

Did his comments later in the thread send it downhill? Yeah, but he didn't open it up saying "Wouldn't you women love it if you could bring your kitchen with you in the ambulance? It would make it so much easier for you to feel like a woman, because all women are only happy in the kitchen."

However, you did open this up with "Hey, black guys, wouldn't you love rims on your ambulance, because all black people love rims, right?"

I understand the... sarcastic nature of the OP, however, I don't really think it's exactly an eye for an eye.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Take some time to look at the original OPs other threads.....the thread that this one is in reference to is not the only one where the original OP has attempted to stir up controversy. I am not advocating punitive action at this point, just merely a counseling......

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a reason people's trolldar should be going off. However the question, on it's face and minus the OP, is a valid question and isn't necessarilly calling women vapid shopaholics.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Maybe it is just me, but I've never had that big of a problem finding female EMS pants,but I might just be lucky in that the 5.11 pants fit me. What I found strange about the original thread is that I know as many men as women who lament that their pants don't fit correctly. Why would a custom uniform shop have to be aimed at women?

+1.

The thread didn't start with an open stereotype. He overheard a conversation that provoked thought, however mislead his train of thought may have been.

Did his comments later in the thread send it downhill? Yeah, but he didn't open it up saying "Wouldn't you women love it if you could bring your kitchen with you in the ambulance? It would make it so much easier for you to feel like a woman, because all women are only happy in the kitchen."

However, you did open this up with "Hey, black guys, wouldn't you love rims on your ambulance, because all black people love rims, right?"

I understand the... sarcastic nature of the OP, however, I don't really think it's exactly an eye for an eye.

We don't know that Lucid has never heard a conversation like that before though. Maybe not necessarily rims on an ambulance, but rims in general.

Oddly enough, I've been involved in more than one conversation about putting spinners on an ambulance (along with under carriage lights, etc), and I know the people I work with can't have been the only ones to joke about that.

Foxbat

Forum Captain

Hey, it's sexist to point out there are differences between men and women's bodies. All these body differences are a social construct by out patriarchal society which pressures women to have thin waists and wide hips. :rolleyes:
/sarcasm

Now, seriously, if OP wanted to make a racial analogy, a better one would be SCBA/APR manufacturers addressing customers' race when designing the shape for masks (SCBA sold in Far East often have nosecups with different shape from the ones sold in Europe, to fit different face geometry better).

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hey, it's sexist to point out there are differences between men and women's bodies.

MY moob shakes brings all the girls to the yard... and I'm like...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you think this post was heavily altered from the original, it's not. It was simply a matter of replacing "females" with "black" and "designer pants" with "custom rims." If you doubt me, read the original post.

Doesn't sound so acceptable now though huh?

Like when Obama said "back of the bus?" Or Sotomayor's comments that a Hispanic female is a superior candidate compared to a white male?
http://washingtonindependent.com/44364/sotomayor-enemy-of-the-white-male

Or how about growing trend towards implementation of sharia law in this country like what has happened in Eurabia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxE8AFRY_CE

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/11/de_facto_shariah_law_in_americ.html

Muslims blocking NYC streets to pray, while the NYPD is ordered not to intefere, whan anyone else would be ticketed and ordered to disperse?

http://fdnyretiree.com/?cat=23

Scroll down to Oct 17, "Get Out of Jail Free" and observe the photos.

This selectively permissive double standard in the name of political correctness makes me sick to my stomach!

Edit: Initially, I didn't understand the opposition to the new Mosque/cultural center near (not at) Ground Zero, but now I can understand why so many are against it. It represents the ongoing trend towards sharia law in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.